Charger Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right up front, I'm certainly no where near a professional driver. I'm a very good traffic driver in my mid 40's, and in a past life used to drive a lot of miles. But, that doesn't lend itself to performance driving that's for sure.

I see in a lot of other threads talk about how the driver makes the difference . . .
What makes one driver faster (or should I add "better")? Especially with the LX cars, with manumatic trans? Sure, there's power braking (we used to call it brake torqueing), and of course who gets on it first when the light changes.

Here's a thread to put it down in.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Some drivers may drive it like they stole it and others may be afraid to spill their coffee in the new car or afraid to aggressively negotiate their way through traffic.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
drive it like you stole it.....but when out of the gate....i have learned through trial, error and reading on this forum to not put the gas to the floor.

when you take off you have to go down on it but not all the way...all the way and you seem to lose something!!!! also i love putting it in 1st and getting on it. auto is nice on the highway but i put it in manumatic in the city....just sounds mean!!!!

·
Banned
113 Posts
I'm one of the people who drive it like they stole it half the time :) the other half my wife is in the car :(

Learn your car.... I've driven it long enough now (had mine since June) that I can "feel" when I have the space or not.

·
Registered
266 Posts
GoDaddy said:
when you take off you have to go down on it but not all the way...all the way and you seem to lose something!!!!
I noticed somewhat of the same thing... I floor it and it takes a second to get on it or it just stays in the same gear and waits to catch up. But sometimes I am just at half throttle and it just takes off from underneath me without even trying!!! Is there a strategy behid this?? I must suck at driving and the car just wants to drive herself!!!

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Ron Mexico said:
I noticed somewhat of the same thing... I floor it and it takes a second to get on it or it just stays in the same gear and waits to catch up. But sometimes I am just at half throttle and it just takes off from underneath me without even trying!!! Is there a strategy behid this?? I must suck at driving and the car just wants to drive herself!!!
put it on cruise and let it drive.... :happy: , just need more time with her....my prescription follows - take 2 drives a day and race everyone in site off of the red light, call us in the morning!! (for all you anal people - this is a joke - i do not condone racing some of the time but all of the time.... :happy: )

·
Registered
266 Posts
GoDaddy said:
put it on cruise and let it drive.... :happy: , just need more time with her....my prescription follows - take 2 drives a day and race everyone in site off of the red light, call us in the morning!! (for all you anal people - this is a joke - i do not condone racing some of the time but all of the time.... :happy: )
Thanks Doc!! I'm sure I feel better in no time :clap:

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's all about becoming "one" with your car. I travel a lot for my job (many car rentals in Chicago). I currently own a 1998 Intrepid and, even though I rent fairly "nice" vehicles, I always look forward to going back to my car. There is a certain comfort zone. One thing is for sure, no rental car will compare to my new Charger (when it arrives).

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
rpostrel said:
It's all about becoming "one" with your car. I travel a lot for my job (many car rentals in Chicago). I currently own a 1998 Intrepid and, even though I rent fairly "nice" vehicles, I always look forward to going back to my car. There is a certain comfort zone. One thing is for sure, no rental car will compare to my new Charger (when it arrives).

taught well, you have been (yoda snickers in the background)!!!! :whistle:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Folks let me turn you on to another very good forum http://www.radardetector.net. It is moderated by a former speed enforcement officer. Good tips on radardetectors, laser gun jammers and the like. Don't get a ticket...if your insurance goes up you won't be able to afford to fuel your Chrager :D

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rpostrel said:
I like that a lot, and I'm REALLY looking forward to receiving my Charger (R/T with RTFG). I've owned some "sporty" cars in my history, then done the whole family thing - mini-van, etc. now I'm sadly selling my '02 Durango (which has been absolutely flawless and I really love that truck). I look forward to all the driving enhancements - better acceleration, handling, braking, and the inside is way more sophisticated than my rather crude Durango. The Durango is no slouch in all those respects, and with the wet/snowy roads we get around here, it's awesome being the fastest thing on the road on those days.

Digressing further, I finally got to test drive one with the Perf. Group installed today - I made the right choice adding that option, even though I had to order it then. There's nothing spectacularily upgraded with it, but as a package, it's well worth it. Keep in mind it contains the Convenience Group II along with it, which I really wanted, so it's really not a $1,600 option anymore.

Anyway, back on topic a little more, that's what's great about this car and this forum - you people "get it". To so many, a car is strictly a "point A to point B" thing.

And now, we return to our regularily scheduled program - how to GO FAST (or, how to pull the maximum amount of g's in every direction).

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
driving isn't just an experience...it's an adventure.

be all that you can be in your charger....

semper fi do or die....had to throw that one in for the marine studs on the site!!!!

charger of one

ok commercial over.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bumping this thread again . .

I'm hearing the Chargers aren't the hottest off the line, many guys are laying off for a bit, then mashing the pedal. How much, and for how long? ESP off or on, which is better for outright performance?

What about shift points with the "manumatic". Have you guys found manually shifting has any benefit, or is the automatic pretty decent at choosing the ideal time to shift?
I've seen some charts mapping the torque and hp output at RPM's, but how does that translate to the best shift point to try and hit?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
joescat said:
Bumping this thread again . .

I'm hearing the Chargers aren't the hottest off the line, many guys are laying off for a bit, then mashing the pedal. How much, and for how long? ESP off or on, which is better for outright performance?

What about shift points with the "manumatic". Have you guys found manually shifting has any benefit, or is the automatic pretty decent at choosing the ideal time to shift?
I've seen some charts mapping the torque and hp output at RPM's, but how does that translate to the best shift point to try and hit?

i will give you "my" opinion on this....if you mash the pedal it seems to bog down...now when i say bog down it doesn't stop or anything...it just seems like it takes a tenth of a second or two to say hello and go (based on other super intelligent gear head posts - it has something to do with the throttle opening up all the way)....when you press down about 70 to 80 percent...she takes off like a bat out of hell. esp off if you want to go fast. and manumatic.

manumatic is much quicker....automatic is nice but not as fast for whatever reason....just don't fully understand the transmission. the shift points are a little weak...if you have an aftermarket exhaust you can hear it shift (i believe dcx built it that way to save the tranny or make it more mom and pop friendly without hard shifts - hopefully gsm mod clears that up - i will let know in a week or so) . ok i think i answered you question.....here is my last two cents and then you can ask away again.....

this thing is huge...if you haven't seen it in person it is a BIG car.....we are dealing with a 2 ton BEAST and she is fast as hell for a 2 ton beast....i wish i knew who said this at www.lxforums.com to give them full credit but he said we are trying to make a rhino go fast....how great is that...no matter what we do - she will still be rhino. how true....but she is the fastest rhino i have EVER seen. so is she "sluggish" compared to a mustang.....some would say yes, i say hell no...lets add another 1000 lbs on the stang and see what it can do. again my 2 cents....not worth much, but still 2 cents. :happy:

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Zatz bery interesting . . .

I wonder, is the manumatic actually doing anything other than allowing you to choose shift points.
I still wonder what the ideal shift points are for this engine/trans combination.

Yeah, the Charger is a heavy car at 4100lbs or so. I've read a lot, and test drove twice - once with the full family aboard (R/T), and once solo (R/T with perf group). I played a little, but also since it's not MY car, I showed due restraint. You can feel the weight in all that it does, but it's not an unpleasant feeling to be sure. Coming from an SUV especially, it gains 115 horses and shed a lot of weight compared to my Durango, which all very pleasing behind the wheel! Amazingly, it's quite a bit _longer_ than my Durango! Width I don't recall, but it's not that different in that measure either.

I've never been into mods, but easy ones to do - especially if they can be put back to original . . . I'm anxious to hear how it plays out for you!

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
i am obssessed....i have NEVER modded any car i have owned and i am 32...so i have had more than a few cars....esp. my 1993 acura integra (135hp.....yippie) but damn did i love that little quick thing. just fell in love with this car and can't stop upgrading or adding too...i told my wife this is my new hobby...this past weekend i took the engine cover off and started painting it.....never done that before, but i just can't stop...hehe....is there a charger obssession hotline!!!????

as far as the manumatic - it just shifts quicker then automatic and is hitting higher on the revolutions per minute....i think it is going toward the max point that dcx set for each gear...i am interested too in the shift points but don't know enough gear lingo...hehe. the gsm mod is "suppose" to help on the shift points and make them quicker....i liken this to if i am setup in manumatic right - instead of me waiting for it shift itself...this mod should shift it just a tenth of a sec. faster before the pause....i am not sure if it will work but i am trying it....

scott

1 - 17 of 17 Posts