Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum but have been doing a lot of research and still can not decide on what I want to do so any input from you guys would be great.
I have an 06 Daytona which nav, sat and ves. My original goal was to find an ipod kit for my car but everything points out to them not being available anymore. I do not like the FM ones and wanted to find something that would actually hook to the radio, show the ipod information on the navigation screen and allow me to use the radio controllers......obviously I was unable to come up with anything. I use the rear inputs for my dvd player to connect my ipod so that will have to do for now.
I currently want to replace the speakers on all four doors with some components. I do not want to replace the headunit since I do not want to lose my uconnect, steering controllers and spent $1,400 for the pioneer unit I like.
My question to those that are familiar with speakers is this

- Which speakers would you recommend that are loud and clear, do not need my doors to fall apart but would like more than what I get now.
- Which amp would you go with?
- What other adapters would you need for this set up?
- Since I am not familiar with audio systems I want to make sure that I get everything that I need.

Would also consider the idea of getting a set of subs. I personally have always like kicker but would like to hear some ideas. I would like to be under $1,000 even without the subs and the amp or with it all if its a good setup.

Since I plan on doing this by myself any advise or warning about the installation would be great. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you aren't looking for high end i'd say go with a jbl gto set up with a low end alpine amp. Very cheap yet great quality hardware.

It ain't no focal/JL audio setup but it's much better than stock.

If you are looking for some sweet subs i can personally vouch for the boston accoustic G2-12 subs. It hits every note whether in a ported or sealed box. They also have trip fuses so they are virtually indestructible.

·
Registered
224 Posts
JL audio's new XD line is awesome. I've got the xd600/1 amp, small and it pounds like a BEAST. with my 2 12s.

In the coming weeks im investing in a second set of focal cvx690 speakers and a set of JL audio dash tweeters powered by a JL audio xd600/6 6 channel amp.

I just can't believe how tiny this xd series is and how much clean true rms it puts out.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
There is no place in the rear doors for speakers. Stock speaker mounts are 3.5" in the dash, 6x9" in the front doors, 6x9" in the rear deck, and 8" in the rear deck. I would recommend you get one good set of components, one good amplifier, and leave out the rear fill. Rear fill will only muddy up the soundstage. If you have to have rear fill, I would just get a cheap pair of 6x9s and run them on head unit (or factory amp) power, but I still stand by the notion that rear fill is always detrimental to a proper sound stage. For a grand, you can get some awesome gear, but there is really no need if you are not going to run it active. I'd look into the Alpine Type X Pros or the Image Dynamics CXS64 V2s. A good amp for either would be this Arc Audio. And of course, a must for good sound quality is sealing and deadening the doors. I sealed the larger holes in mine with plexiglass held in place by silicon, then applied Secondskin's Damplifier Pro over the top of it (and on the inner door skin, before I sealed it, actually). If you don't seal and deaden your doors, don't even bother upgrading your speakers.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Agreed, especially on our massive hollow charger doors. There will be too much rattle without deadening them.

I may get my rear deck deadened as well.

Listen to repth, he knows what hes talking about.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was able to get the Alpine SPX 17pros for a killer price. Now I'm trying to figure out the best place for the tweeters.
Put the tweeters in the 3.5 inch speaker holes in the dash, One thing i've learned is that the charger REALLY benefits in SQ through high end overhead sound.

the sound from the dash reflects off the windsheild and hits you and your friends in the ears.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Put the tweeters in the 3.5 inch speaker holes in the dash, One thing i've learned is that the charger REALLY benefits in SQ through high end overhead sound.

the sound from the dash reflects off the windsheild and hits you and your friends in the ears.
Sometimes this creates a harsh sound from the tweets, especially if you have titanium instead of silk. Get some double-sided mounting tape from Walmart and place them in all the places you think you might want to mount them, this way you'll know which will sound best before you start cutting and drilling. I mounted mine in the sail panels and I wish I hadn't. The driver side tweeter is too close in proximity so it overpowers the left, and the soundstage is extremely narrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all your ideas. This is what I have so far. Get a good set of components for the front which I'm going with focals and not even bother with the back door or the deck, right?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Focals are sweet. I got them now, even the low end focals have the sq of other manufacturers high end.

I wanted the 6x9s so i got the polyglass, focals best 6x9 and let me say they are SWEET. Especially with a jl audio amp.

Going with focals, make sure you got them from a qualified dealer because there are lots of focal knockoffs out there. They are like the gucci of the bag names.

Also be prepared to dish serious bucks on them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I am getting them from a known shop in the area. They are the 165 a1. Should I not bother with the back and just settle for the front doors with those?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yes I am getting them from a known shop in the area. They are the 165 a1. Should I not bother with the back and just settle for the front doors with those?
Yes, just get one good set of components for the front and you will never miss the rears.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sometimes this creates a harsh sound from the tweets, especially if you have titanium instead of silk. Get some double-sided mounting tape from Walmart and place them in all the places you think you might want to mount them, this way you'll know which will sound best before you start cutting and drilling. I mounted mine in the sail panels and I wish I hadn't. The driver side tweeter is too close in proximity so it overpowers the left, and the soundstage is extremely narrow.
What would you say is the best place or a better place? In your opinion.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
What would you say is the best place or a better place? In your opinion.
The true best place would be in the kick panel, right next to the midbass (or even axially mounted on top of it). But if you don't have custom kicks, you just have to experiment with it and see where you like it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts