Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok its that time 30,000 some thousand miles looking for a tune up.
hate shops scare me. rather do it myself. 5.7 r/t

my question is there anything special i should know about changing spark plugs, wires &cap? since there are 16 plugs and wires according to the owners manual. so a few questions

1.what's the gap set to?
2.any special tools required?
3.any special way to make it easier on myself?
4.what spark plugs are everyone using?
5.and what wires are everyone using

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
I just did mine a few weeks ago. Pretty straightforward but give yourself a couple hours if it's been a while since you've done them. Really the only things you should need are the plugs, some dielectric grease, and some anti-sieze. All in, the cost is going to be about $35-40.

For tools you'll need a 10mm socket to remove/install the coilpacks, a 5/8" spark plug socket, a short extension, a universal-joint, and a longer extension. You'll also want to have a torque wrench to properly tighten the plugs to 11-15 ft-lbs

Here's my write-up.
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=802849&postcount=52

·
Registered
238 Posts
Some anti-seize for the threads.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the posts my internet crashed so i havn't been able to get back on till now. Excellent write up MNUNES cleared all the confusion i had bout this seems pretty straight foward. won't be going to dodge after all :lol: don't want to imagine what the 300 pound gorilla would do to my spark plugs.

the last time the 300 pound gorrila at lithia just impacted my tire on (im sure it was way past 110 ft lbs) and messed up my rim pretty good looks like the lug nut hole got hit with a hammer. didn't even notice till i moved to phoenix.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
thanks for the posts my internet crashed so i havn't been able to get back on till now. Excellent write up MNUNES cleared all the confusion i had bout this seems pretty straight foward. won't be going to dodge after all :lol: don't want to imagine what the 300 pound gorilla would do to my spark plugs.

the last time the 300 pound gorrila at lithia just impacted my tire on (im sure it was way past 110 ft lbs) and messed up my rim pretty good looks like the lug nut hole got hit with a hammer. didn't even notice till i moved to phoenix.
No reason to pay someone else to screw up your car when you can do it yourself for free. :)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Hey with the money you save by doing it yourself you can buy NGK Iridiums which are rated to last 100k miles, and save yourself the labor of doing it two other times.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Anyone know what the recommended miles to change stock plugs are?

30k. The stock ones are champion Copper. If you want to upgrade do not do platinum go to iridium. Platinum plugs do not work well with Dodge's waste spark system.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Thanks for the tip Donato! I would have bought the platnum, and been dissapointed!
Yup I heard it from wickedcharger and pretty much everyone on the neon forum countless times. Double platinums are ok, but you might as well go to iridium at that point.

·
Registered
411 Posts
30k. The stock ones are champion Copper. If you want to upgrade do not do platinum go to iridium. Platinum plugs do not work well with Dodge's waste spark system.
If thats the case, why does the 6.1L Hemi have Platinum Plugs in it from the factory?

Dave

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
If thats the case, why does the 6.1L Hemi have Platinum Plugs in it from the factory?

Dave
Because they are dual platinum. Regular platinums have only one platinum tip. It's the single platinum tips that are bad.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Is there any research I can search on this? I'm very curious about your claim.

Dave
Never mind. I just googled and found that on waste spark ignition systems with two plugs firing on one coil, one plug is reverse polarity from the other. If one plug is grounding to the side electrode, the other plug is grounding to the center electrode. Uneven wear of the plugs if they have different metals on the side and center electrodes.

Good advice DonatoM3

Dave

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Never mind. I just googled and found that on waste spark ignition systems with two plugs firing on one coil, one plug is reverse polarity from the other. If one plug is grounding to the side electrode, the other plug is grounding to the center electrode. Uneven wear of the plugs if they have different metals on the side and center electrodes.

Good advice DonatoM3

Dave
Yeah I was just trying to find a link to give you. With Platinum plugs that have platinum on both tips it isn't as bad. WickedChargerRT is a chrysler tech and has been recommending people stick with the stock champions (copper) or his personal recomendation is to upgrade to the NGK Iridiums and skip over the Platinums

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Would the iridiums be ok for the V6 too? Would I even notice a difference?
The 3.5l V6 has platinum as the stock plugs so you're good for a while. When it's time to change I don't see why not cuz it's about a $2 difference in price and about a $12 difference for the change.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just read ur Post on the Difference in Spark Plugs for our Chargers. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just did mine a few weeks ago. Pretty straightforward but give yourself a couple hours if it's been a while since you've done them. Really the only things you should need are the plugs, some dielectric grease, and some anti-sieze. All in, the cost is going to be about $35-40.

For tools you'll need a 10mm socket to remove/install the coilpacks, a 5/8" spark plug socket, a short extension, a universal-joint, and a longer extension. You'll also want to have a torque wrench to properly tighten the plugs to 11-15 ft-lbs

Here's my write-up.
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=802849&postcount=52
Just read ur Write up...Very Informative! THANKS!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.