Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spark Plug Info Thread

Sometimes I think stock OEM parts are better, sometimes they aren't, and sometimes it can be debated.

Now with Spark Plugs, I've read that a lot of people have problems when they start to venture off into either "performance" spark plugs like E3's, or other materials such as iridium and platinums and can cause codes and such.

A local auto parts store pulls up my 2008 Dodge Charger 2.7L as having platinum plugs stock, but they are not. They are Champion Coppers, but actually different than what the Hemi uses.

The 3.5L uses Double Platinums, according to the 2008 manual.

Here's a list of the stock plugs that come with each engine option found from 2008-2010 Manuals. 2005-2007 Manuals say "Refer to the Vehicle Emission Control Information label in the engine compartment." under the spark plug section.

2.7L - Champion Copper Plus + RE14MCC5 or RE14PMC5 or #470
3.5L - NGK Platinum ZFR5LP-13G or #7781
5.7L - Champion Copper REC14MCC4 or RE14MCC4 or #570
6.1L - NGK Platinum PLZTR5A-13 or #4498

Gaps are all .050 except 5.7L which is .043

Now on 2011-2012:

3.6L - RER8ZWYCB4 (Only cross reference I found so far was a plug that fits maybe a Kia Soul? RER8MC, RER8YC, RER8MC4 and Maybe a Champion 445 or 929 - I wouldn't quote me on this newer stuff)
5.7L - LZFR5C–11 or NGK #92174
6.4L - LZTR6AP11EG or NGK "V-Power" Copper #5306

All gapped at .043

[Updated] 2013-2014:

It appears the plug for a 2013 Charger RT is a NGK LZFR5C11 or NGK #92174 as a carry-over from the 2011-2012 Models
It would be interesting to confirm what actually are pulled out of the latest V6 models and SRT8 models as well

The initial reason for the thread is I've seen the RE14MCC4 Part #570 Plugs before but have not seen the Champion Copper Plus RE14MCC5 Part #470 which my car came equipped from the factory.

I thought with all the info on these cars and online networking I would have seen the true part number for my car, or at least I haven't seen it on the internet.

They are Copper "Plus" so I'm not sure how that equates to how they are made, but if anyone wants to know some the manual's spec spark plugs, here ya go!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Weird... Amazon is telling me that the one you call out for the 5.7L on the 2011+ Chargers isn't compatible with my 2013 Charger... didn't ask me for the engine size, though... sometimes their search engine is totally jacked...
Then again my owner's manual just says:
"Spark Plugs – 3.6L Engine We recommend you use MOPAR Spark Plugs.
Spark Plugs – 5.7L Engine We recommend you use MOPAR Spark Plugs."

Soooo... that's odd...

And I used Champion double-platinums on my '08 at 100k miles and saw no problems there. Don't know the exact part number, though...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Weird... Amazon is telling me that the one you call out for the 5.7L on the 2011+ Chargers isn't compatible with my 2013 Charger... didn't ask me for the engine size, though... sometimes their search engine is totally jacked...
Then again my owner's manual just says:
"Spark Plugs – 3.6L Engine We recommend you use MOPAR Spark Plugs.
Spark Plugs – 5.7L Engine We recommend you use MOPAR Spark Plugs."

Soooo... that's odd...

And I used Champion double-platinums on my '08 at 100k miles and saw no problems there. Don't know the exact part number, though...
Looking at the 2013-2014 I am noticing that too; no part numbers. Even for the SRT8 models it just says: We recommend you use MOPAR Spark Plugs (Gap .043 in 1.1 mm)

It also says that for the 2013-2014 engine oil filters: We recommend you use MOPAR Engine Oil Filter.

Maybe Amazon says they aren't compatible because they don't have a spark plug listed for the 2013 and 2014 cars yet?

They might be carried over from the newer 2nd Generations, but I would take the 2011-2014 cars to the dealer or ask them what plugs they use when you want the spark plugs changed given the lack of info on these.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'll definitely contact my dealer and ask what they use. I don't intend to pay them to do the work, though... For what they typically charge, I can take care of it myself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just went the dealer route myself for my 2013 Charger RT. Went to two different auto parts store and they both told me I needed "double platinum". I don't think Dodge intended this motor to have double platinum. The dealer set me up with an NGK LZFR5C11. $5.00 each.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dperk - That's a good idea, and along the lines of what I would think about doing.

SHSpecial - Thanks for the info! It seems according to your Dodge Dealer that the LZFR5C11 Spark Plugs look like they are carried over from the 2011-2012 RT year cars.

·
Registered
587 Posts
If you really want to know on the 2013-2014 R/T, pull a plug. :D

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
The diff part numbers are for different gaps, u can pick up whichever u want and gap them to ur specs, just that when given part numbers they come pregapped accordingly.
for some reason on my 07rt, when i went in for plugs the first time they told me platinums... i said noooo... they are copper.... their system pulled up all the plugs but for some reason they were insistent on plats.
i had already read on here only coppers, so i was like nah phuk jooo lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ChargerOsix - Great suggestion! I'd be curious about what the other models use as well straight from the factory from 2005-2007 and 2011-2014 Models

Yuro - Thanks for the interest and nice car by the way! A man at my Church currently (or had) a TorRed Daytona if I had to guess I would say it is a 2006. I love the Black Pockets on the Daytona or R&T Wheels. I've read some of your post and the car seems to perform and handle as well.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
ChargerOsix - Great suggestion! I'd be curious about what the other models use as well straight from the factory from 2005-2007 and 2011-2014 Models

Yuro - Thanks for the interest and nice car by the way! A man at my Church currently (or had) a TorRed Daytona if I had to guess I would say it is a 2006. I love the Black Pockets on the Daytona or R&T Wheels. I've read some of your post and the car seems to perform and handle as well.
Thanks! Never thought I'd get a red car, this was just the most perfect red ever!
Great thing about these cars, the harder you push them the more they seem to perform!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yes Torred Daytonas were only made in 2006.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yuro - Yeah I really like the vibrant red color, some of the normal RT red is almost a darker crimson type color. Nice meeting you by the way!

Razorx - I said 2006 (although it could be a 2007) because it has a special look to it from the early models that is hard to describe. Also it has the Five Spoke Black Pocketed wheels that 2006 - 2007 models came in although I do believe in 2008 - 2010 they continued with the TorRed color and produced them in SRT8 models and even some V6 AWD SXT models. I do not know if they continued with the color for the newer body styles

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I could talk about TorRed all day! But i wont, it probably gets annoying to non TorRed fans lol
Nice to meet you too SG!

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
So why can't 5.7L run platinum plugs?

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
The 5.7's just don't seem to like them. I don't know why.
I've read many posts on forums that people have had various issues when putting Platinum plugs in the 5.7's. (Lower mpg's, rough-running, trouble codes...)

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
No one seems to have a good explanation but there is lots of anecdotal evidence to support it.

The best explanation I have come up with is this...(compiled from multiple sources)

The coil over plug design uses the resistance of the plug to read how the engine is performing. The PCM and other engine control modules use the plug itself to monitor the efficiency of the combustion process and adds to the data used to determine appropriate fuel mixture and engine timing. The 5.7L engine and electronic controls were designed using copper plugs and the extra resistance in the platinum plug interferes with the expected data the PCM sees and it confuses it, sometimes causing it to stumble or shut down.

The 5.7l is the only LX engine coming out of the factory with copper plugs and the only one that experiences this apparent issue.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Becuz i wont buy them xD
jk, as D stated, the 5.7 seems to have this trouble.
i have read on and figured that the newer eagle 5.7s dont show as much problem as the pre eagle 5.7s.
Along with the explanation D reports, i have read on occasion that the platinums lose the platinum weld on the tip. It has been suggested the double platinums become a better choice when going platinum, something aboht the tips not being as brittle as the single plats.
what do i know, ive stuck to copper on my 07 5.7 and been fine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
First Generation: The 5.7L runs a Copper Plug from factory and the 2.7L runs a Copper Plus + (In my first post this thread)

Some of the ones I could find actual evidence from the Manuals that run Platinum plugs is the old 3.5L and 6.1L

The newer 3.6L are hard to speak for but the new 5.7L uses a NGK Copper? Plug - I put the question mark because the box doesn't say but it looks like a flat style copper electrode. Usually Platinums, Double Platinums, and Iridiums have a pointed electrode.

The newer 6.4L use a NGK Copper Plug.

Usually Spark Plugs are Copper, Platinum, Double Platinum, and Iridium.

Auto Stores will try to get you a Platinum and adjust there system for it when in my situation, the OEM actually might be copper.

I was also reading that because of today's gas quality and higher ethanol levels, some Auto Stores try to adjust there spark plugs to buy something that burns hotter. I don't know if that is true, but I recommend changing them at intervals with OEM parts rather than buying something else that may or may not work better or worse and give you problems.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was thinking of the amount of spark plugs of the V8 when I was speaking for the 3.6L plug types.

Just delete that post quoting me and I corrected the above post. I'll delete this one as well, I don't want any miss information in this thread

1 - 20 of 21 Posts