Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don’t crucify me lol I’ve read posts but just want to make sure nothings changed since then and double check what I’ve read on here. Once I get my car back into my garage I want to change them and was wondering the best ones to use. I’m at 95k miles on a 2012 SRT so figured I might as well do it Idk when the last owner did them so figured I might as well do a tune up. What else should be/need to be done? Forgive my ignorance too never changed plugs.. lol I know I probably should know how but want to learn and do it myself I have help if needed but would prefer to do it myself. Thanks in advance!

· Registered
5,684 Posts
I believe the maintenance chart only calls to replace the plugs on the 6.4L at 100k miles, so they're probably the original plugs in there.

These are the OEM plugs, link provided by @djalbin from my thread from a few years back.

I'm sure you're aware there is 16 of them. I didn't trust myself enough to give it a go, the local garage charged around $500 I believe. Dealer was about $900 if I remember correctly.

Reactions: Callahan843

· Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the maintenance chart only calls to replace the plugs on the 6.4L at 100k miles, so they're probably the original plugs in there.

These are the OEM plugs, link provided by @djalbin from my thread from a few years back.

I'm sure you're aware there is 16 of them. I didn't trust myself enough to give it a go, the local garage charged around $500 I believe. Dealer was about $900 if I remember correctly.
Yeah I really don’t trust myself but thought I might try it. Idk I might just end up taking it to someone. My wife’s uncle has a friend who used to be a master mechanic for dodge and I plan on having him take a look at it once it gets towed here from that damn shop. I might just see if he can do it for me. I appreciate the link! OEM is the best option? I know most of the time it is just wanted to make sure

· Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Also is there any other maintenance I need to do/have done at the same time etc

· Registered
5,684 Posts
Look in the book. Several should have been done a few times already. I think the serp belt needs to be checked, though mine made it to 130k or so.

Have you done gear fluid or trans fluid. Coolant flush?

· Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look in the book. Several should have been done a few times already. I think the serp belt needs to be checked, though mine made it to 130k or so.

Have you done gear fluid or trans fluid. Coolant flush?
Don’t believe the guy had the book anymore when I bought the car 😕 I’ll have to double check when I get it back. Trans fluid was going to be my next thing to get done just trying to find somewhere near me that actually would do it would be the hard part lol no gear fluid do you care to elaborate on that? Also need to replace the t stat so was going to do coolant flush then but figured that could wait until last since it didn’t seem to be causing any issues am I wrong? Also the serpentine belt hasn’t been replaced I didn’t even know that needed to be done/checked I don’t have any squeaking or Squeezing coming from it.

· Registered
5,684 Posts
I think you can download the owners manual for free, not 100% on that.

Trans fluid - after my debacle, go to the dealer. Will run you $200.

Coolant - as a 2012, you may still have the HOAT coolant. I forget if it switched between 2012/13 or 2013/14. It says flush ever 5yrs/100k for the OAT. I mean will it all of a sudden fail you, no, but is probably all dirty at this point.

Gear fluid - should be done every 30k miles I believe, I probably go every 50k. Will be about $150 at a dealer, or $70 at a local shop.

Serp belt they'll just check for wear and tear, or if it's dry rotting. They'll check the grooves. Mine was good.

Maybe check the power steering fluid, which is I believe the same as the transmission fluid.

I had brake fluid checked, but both times the said it still looked good.

That's probably it.

· Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you can download the owners manual for free, not 100% on that.

Trans fluid - after my debacle, go to the dealer. Will run you $200.

Coolant - as a 2012, you may still have the HOAT coolant. I forget if it switched between 2012/13 or 2013/14. It says flush ever 5yrs/100k for the OAT. I mean will it all of a sudden fail you, no, but is probably all dirty at this point.

Gear fluid - should be done every 30k miles I believe, I probably go every 50k. Will be about $150 at a dealer, or $70 at a local shop.

Serp belt they'll just check for wear and tear, or if it's dry rotting. They'll check the grooves. Mine was good.

Maybe check the power steering fluid, which is I believe the same as the transmission fluid.

I had brake fluid checked, but both times the said it still looked good.

That's probably it.
I’ll Google it see if I can download it somewhere. What debacle did you have with your trans fluid? Don’t doubt it’s dirty just knew you had to drain it when the t stat gets replaced so figured it could all get done at the same time what’s the difference between HOAT and OAT. I’ll check out how much my local dealer is charging for gear fluid they always over charge for stuff so I’m interested to see lol I’ve had it for about a year and a half but only driven it a year and put 13kish miles on it I’ll get the serpentine belt checked then too! I thought about replacing brake fluid just for the hell of it whenever I do brakes bc I figured it couldn’t hurt it wasn’t expensive last time I looked. so if power steering is same as trans and it gets flushed that’s good then too?

· Registered
5,684 Posts
HOAT - hybrid organic acid technology

OAT - organic acid technology

I don't know the technical differences other than they can't be mixed or they'll sludge up. That said, and prepare for the comments, but they make universal coolant now that you can add to either and won't create a problem.

I'll be the first to admit I'd have preferred the Mopar OEM coolant for peace of mind, but when I went through my cam and lifter debacle, it slipped my mind to make sure they bought the OEM crap (its really just a dye and all OAT is the same but it says Mopar) and the local garage used OAT which is correct, but he used the GM DEXCOOL. It's been fine for 67k miles. I've also had coolant leaks from dry rotted t - connectors and hoses, and they'll top off with the universal coolant. Also, no issues whatsoever. I'm sure this will start a firestorm where I'll be condemned for using anything but Mopar OAT, but really any OAT is fine. Like I said too, the universal stuff from I believe Prestone can be added to any coolant and not cause problems.

The power steering fluid is the same as the trans fluid, but you can check that under the hood.

· Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HOAT - hybrid organic acid technology

OAT - organic acid technology

I don't know the technical differences other than they can't be mixed or they'll sludge up. That said, and prepare for the comments, but they make universal coolant now that you can add to either and won't create a problem.

I'll be the first to admit I'd have preferred the Mopar OEM coolant for peace of mind, but when I went through my cam and lifter debacle, it slipped my mind to make sure they bought the OEM crap (its really just a dye and all OAT is the same but it says Mopar) and the local garage used OAT which is correct, but he used the GM DEXCOOL. It's been fine for 67k miles. I've also had coolant leaks from dry rotted t - connectors and hoses, and they'll top off with the universal coolant. Also, no issues whatsoever. I'm sure this will start a firestorm where I'll be condemned for using anything but Mopar OAT, but really any OAT is fine. Like I said too, the universal stuff from I believe Prestone can be added to any coolant and not cause problems.

The power steering fluid is the same as the trans fluid, but you can check that under the hood.
Ok perfect I appreciate it!

· Registered
7,528 Posts
Another route I have taken in lieu of the owners manual schedule is visited a dealership and had them give me a list of what their recommendations were and what their flat prices are for each task. You will get a complete list with prices. You can expect some elective services like injector cleaning, cabin filter, to be recommended but they are not offended if you pass on stuff. Some owners like to do all the maintenance at home and others like to mix it up and chose what to farm out to a repair shop.

· Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another route I have taken in lieu of the owners manual schedule is visited a dealership and had them give me a list of what their recommendations were and what their flat prices are for each task. You will get a complete list with prices. You can expect some elective services like injector cleaning, cabin filter, to be recommended but they are not offended if you pass on stuff. Some owners like to do all the maintenance at home and others like to mix it up and chose what to farm out to a repair shop.
The local CDJR dealership near me seems iffy. There’s two actually I have no idea how the farther one is but the closest one has always been iffy to me that’s the only reason I wouldn’t really want to but I definitely don’t want to miss anything so I might. They tried to tell me 250 I think for uconnect update at one point

· Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
2,360 Posts
Download this. If you don’t have iPhone I’m sure it’s on Google play.

Here’s another one, they are basically the same thing. If there any differences other than the graphics, I haven’t played with them enough to know that it is. But they both have your manual and you should be able to see service history, at least of it was fine at a dealership. I THINK that part is VIN related but it’s possible that it may only show YOUR service history.

· Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Download this. If you don’t have iPhone I’m sure it’s on Google play.

Here’s another one, they are basically the same thing. If there any differences other than the graphics, I haven’t played with them enough to know that it is. But they both have your manual and you should be able to see service history, at least of it was fine at a dealership. I THINK that part is VIN related but it’s possible that it may only show YOUR service history.
Appreciate that! I’ll download them! I have iPhone

· Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another owners manual source:

You do not have to create an account, just click through to selecting your vehicle and access a pdf of your manual.
Perfect thank you!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts