Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '06 SRT-8. I'd like to start carying a full size spare for daily commuting (the roads are full of debris here) so that I don't get caught with a wrecked tire and no way to get home. If I put a spare in the trunk with TPMS is HAL going to go nuts? I don't want the spare to interfere with the monitoring of the 4 tires on the ground.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
it shouldn't. Most of them are set up on RF signals, if I remember correctly. We just got a new tool called the bartec that I taught myself to use, and you can actually program in new sensors with it, and add on a spare sensor, if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it shouldn't. Most of them are set up on RF signals, if I remember correctly. We just got a new tool called the bartec that I taught myself to use, and you can actually program in new sensors with it, and add on a spare sensor, if I remember correctly.
Thanks for the info. but you don't sound too sure and it isn't exactly giving me a warm fuzzy!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol, it's been a long day, and me the old lady just got into it. I tell you what. If I get a chance to, tomorrow, I'll take my spare out and pop a sensor in it to see if it works.
Great! Thanks!:beerchug:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I should not interfer,when you buy the new ones they have to be programed to the right RF signal for your Charger.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is a stupid question. But do I have to buy new sensors for the tires as well or do the one's I have on my current RSA tire's get re-used.

The reason I ask is because I was prompted to do this when I priced out some Nitto Invo's:

"Manufacturers recommend that you replace the wearable components of your TPMS sensors each time a tire is replaced or serviced. These wearable components are provided in our TPMS Rebuild Kits. "

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
This is a stupid question. But do I have to buy new sensors for the tires as well or do the one's I have on my current RSA tire's get re-used.

The reason I ask is because I was prompted to do this when I priced out some Nitto Invo's:

"Manufacturers recommend that you replace the wearable components of your TPMS sensors each time a tire is replaced or serviced. These wearable components are provided in our TPMS Rebuild Kits. "
No, you don't have to buy new sensors. There is truth in that statement about the wearable components. i.e., the rubber grommet, nut, and washer if applicable, as well as the valve core.

Just like every time you have your tires changed out, you're supposed to replace the regular valve stem, if it has a regular valve stem.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Okay, I finally looked into this with my 08(Sorry it took so long, had 2 speeches due, and clinical hours to make up) My donut DOES NOT have a sensor in it, so I ordered one in and placed it inside the donut. It was a very snug fit, but it did fit. My system didn't wig out or anything since I that sensor is on a different frequency. I then tried to program it into the system, so it would tell me if my spare tire was low, and I could not get it to do this.

So in a nutshell, my 08 didn't have any adverse reaction to having the extra sensor there for a full day. However, I wasn't able to program it in there to tell me if the spare was low, which is what I really wanted to do.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
If I put a spare in the trunk with TPMS is HAL going to go nuts? I don't want the spare to interfere with the monitoring of the 4 tires on the ground.
The sensors do not transmit any data until the tires are rotating at 15-20mph. The sensors are centrifugally activated so the batteries don't run down. You should install the sensor in the spare and run it on the car to make sure it will get recognized up by the system. There is no need to program anything since the location detection is automatic. You need to make sure you get the correct frequency unit for your system. There are two different freq's based on build year and they are not compatible.
UPDATE: The service manual also says the sensors will transmit in IDLE mode every 13 hours, or sooner if there is a pressure change of more than 1 PSI detected.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent information! Thanks!:beerchug:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts