Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short of going out and buying another 20" factory or aftermarket wheel what less expensive options are there for a "donut" emergency tire ?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Short of going out and buying another 20" factory or aftermarket wheel what less expensive options are there for a "donut" emergency tire ?
Just went through this exercise. There are aftermarket 20" rims that will work.
I figured that if on the highway worse case, I tear a tire and screw up the rim I want to be able to continue on. So, I bit the bullet and went with the factory rim and tire. Also you need a jack that will collapse to 2" to get under the car if a tire is flat. Or I plan on carrying a couple of piece's of 2X6 or 12 to drive up on.

I couldn't find anything that would fit in the hole under the mat. It is only 18" wide, the factory tire and wheel is about 28". Big difference in ride height.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Just went through this exercise. There are aftermarket 20" rims that will work.
I figured that if on the highway worse case, I tear a tire and screw up the rim I want to be able to continue on. So, I bit the bullet and went with the factory rim and tire. Also you need a jack that will collapse to 2" to get under the car if a tire is flat. Or I plan on carrying a couple of piece's of 2X6 or 12 to drive up on.

I couldn't find anything that would fit in the hole under the mat. It is only 18" wide, the factory tire and wheel is about 28". Big difference in ride height.
I ordered that aftermarket rim from tirerack, but it won't be here till Friday. (Tire too). Guess where I'll be on Friday..on the way to the LX spring festival in Irvine! (With no spare). It's only 270 miles, but Ill be keepin my fingers crossed all the way!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will probably go with an aftermarket wheel just to have, but will one of those scissor jacks work ?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I will probably go with an aftermarket wheel just to have, but will one of those scissor jacks work ?
I don't know. I think 21/2" is what ya have to get under. I found a floor jack that works if I bring the boards to drive it up on. Small enough to fit under the mat, so I'm semi happy.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Does anyone know for sure that a standard spare from another charger will fit the rear wheel? If so I want to get one as if I blew a front tire I could just move a rear one up their and replace the back with a spare. I know it seems like alot of work but it is only a emergency situation so it is better than no spare at all.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Does anyone know for sure that a standard spare from another charger will fit the rear wheel? If so I want to get one as if I blew a front tire I could just move a rear one up their and replace the back with a spare. I know it seems like alot of work but it is only a emergency situation so it is better than no spare at all.
The space that a standard spare fit's in is about 18" across. A oem tire and wheel is about 28". If it fit on the car, the car would probably be on the ground as you lowered the jack.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Donut option works, from a AWD Magnum check out RobertV thread on the 300c site, I have this set up for my srt Charger.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Have you mounted it on the front of the car and then let the car down?
It has already ben stated that it wont fit on the front. I dont see hoe the diameter of the wheel can be any different on the SRT than the RT that has the spare. I know the rim is biger but the tire is smaller. Am I missing someting?

·
Registered
277 Posts
No it will not work on the front srt brakes get in the way, have to mount it on
rear and move the rear tire to the front if you get a flat up front. I have not mounted the tire to the rim yet so I cannot answer if the diameter difference causes any problems, according to other threads on this subject it does not cause any issues, Remember its for very "TEMPORARY" use just to get you home or off the road. If I was traveling 500 plus miles I would bring a full size spare, I have one from a srt Magnum. Just a matter of driving habits.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Goodyear has already released a EMT, extended mobility tire, or runflat, to fit the rear of the srt8, but not the front. I will outfit the SRT with all four when available.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It has already ben stated that it wont fit on the front. I dont see hoe the diameter of the wheel can be any different on the SRT than the RT that has the spare. I know the rim is biger but the tire is smaller. Am I missing someting?
The SRT rides lower than the R/T (i.e., it was lowered by the SRT engineers). That plus the smaller donut might be too low.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If the mini spare wheel and tire fits in the hole under the mat it can't be more than 18" asross(the size of the hole). The tire and wheel on a SRT8, a RSA is 28" across. That is a 10" difference in size. I doubt that once placed on the rear of the car there will be enough clearence to remove the jack. Further the car may be on the ground. That's why I asked if it had been placed on the car and driven.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Don't do run flats

Goodyear has already released a EMT, extended mobility tire, or runflat, to fit the rear of the srt8, but not the front. I will outfit the SRT with all four when available.

I would think twice before you do that. I also was going to go the EMT route, but after talking with some knowlegable people I'm staying with regular tires. My friend's new Z06 came with them. The ride was so terrible that he took them off after 2 weeks. They're heavy, stiff and give a harsh ride, not to mention expensive. They also will wear suspension components prematurely. Now I know why DC didn't go with them as OEM.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would think twice before you do that. I also was going to go the EMT route, but after talking with some knowlegable people I'm staying with regular tires. My friend's new Z06 came with them. The ride was so terrible that he took them off after 2 weeks. They're heavy, stiff and give a harsh ride, not to mention expensive. They also will wear suspension components prematurely. Now I know why DC didn't go with them as OEM.
I'm not surprised to read this. I've owned a number of Corvettes although my Z06 didn't have run flats, the tires on them were horrible. They were like rideing on bricks after 12K. Back to the C4's, they had the same problem with the GSC's.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I bought a spare, jack, hold down, and lug wrench that came from a R/T. Here is a pic of the spare mounted on the back of my SRT.

http://www.bagoffries.com/spare.jpg

It is only about an inch shorter than the stock tire and it fits fine in the spare compartment in the trunk.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I bought a spare, jack, hold down, and lug wrench that came from a R/T. Here is a pic of the spare mounted on the back of my SRT.

http://www.bagoffries.com/spare.jpg

It is only about an inch shorter than the stock tire and it fits fine in the spare compartment in the trunk.
So this setup works for the back tires, correct? And what did this all cost you? And did you order it thru your local dealer?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts