Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Debating on getting the Modern Spare kit
it’s not cheap but thinking it might be a good investment.
Cheap insurance?
Wondering how many have made the purchase?
I know the car has the air pump and a can of slime but if it’s a puncture that the slime won’t temporarily fix it look like a tow and possible damage.
Thoughts 🤔

·
Registered
224 Posts
I purchased a spare for my SP. If you get a cut in the sidewall that air pump and fix a flat won’t cut it. It blows my mind that on the SP and up they don’t come with a spare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
Risk-assessment is about balancing probability against consequence.

What you need to do is consider:
1} What are the odds of getting a flat tire?
2} What is the consequence of getting a flat tire?

If you drive in places with a lot of construction or near metal debris, the probability is higher than if you drive in well-trafficked, clean areas. If you only drive for recreation and are near home, the consequence is lower than if you drive long distances for time-critical purposes.

You get to do the math. We can't do it for you.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think about getting a Modern Spare when taking a long trip, but that hasn't happened yet. As far as an investment goes, it could add to the value of the car when selling. You might not get all your money back, but would think having a spare might mean something to the next owner.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Which is better? Fix a flat or a emergency spare tire kit?

ASPARAGUS. Lol tell when you figured it out.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
212 Posts
I got one and hopefully I'll never need it. But I've never had a flat on the highway that the fix a flat would fix. I've also got a plug kit for nails if needed since I have the compressor as well. I did wait and keep an eye out on FB marketplace, got a brand new kit for 1/2 the cost of new, never used.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I think about getting a Modern Spare when taking a long trip, but that hasn't happened yet. As far as an investment goes, it could add to the value of the car when selling. You might not get all your money back, but would think having a spare might mean something to the next owner.
Im in the same boat. I keep thinking about one, especially if I go on a long trip, but that hasn't happened. I haven't had a flat tire in 21 years of driving that has been a huge issue, but the potential is there. I've had my fair share of nails, but have been able to get to a repair shop, or use another vehicle to take the wheel and get it fixed. The most flats I've had was 3 in my ex-wife's Infiniti and fortunately those were all on run-flats so she was able to get home. I had that nice chunk of wood puncture the sidewall a few months ago, but got home just in time and put the OEM wheels on.

If I ever go on a trip and take the Charger I will probably buy one.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had 3 flats
My wife’s AMG rear tire was flat in the garage and the I looked outside and my Miata also was going flat.
One time I took a rear tire off the Miata only to find a huge spike in the side wall with no air lost.
Once I was taking the wife out for dinner and 50 miles from the house the tire light came on.
After dinner I payed 2 bucks for air at a Cumberland farms and was able to drop her at home and drive to the dealership g go or a new tire.
I always buy the tire and wheel warranty and have used it several times.
Last 3 cars had no spares and I got a flat on each one.
The wife’s new Audi SQ5 comes with a full size spare.
So I am glad my dog is buying me the spare kit for Father’s Day 👍

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Hypothetically what is the reaction of a scat pack owner with a flat in timbuktu that is non repairable. Do they call a conventional tow truck and learn its taboo to tow 2 up 2 down. Or do they call a flat bed tow and cringe as the lower than normal sitting scat gets dragged up the ramp.

Or do they gladly pay the upfront cost for an emergency spare so they are prepared to either change it themself or call AAA for roadside assistance and have them change it.

Joebiker, has a smart and generous dog.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What's this kit cost? I don't see it listed on the Dodge.com build a car option selection.

What do you need for a Widebody?

I contacted the sell Modern Spare it comes with everything you need and having the six piston calipers it has the Spacer and the lugs to hold the spacer on.
Going to be shipped June 3rd
Same price E bay and the Modern spare site.
Should be the same for all the body styles

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
The performance spare kit only fits 4 piston. But for $300 it's a good deal for the 4 piston rides. A spacer is cheap if it needs to be purchased off eBay or Amazon. Otherwise, a flat in front with 6 pistons require swapping a good rear tire to the front and placing the spare on the rear assuming you have squares installed and no offsets. Also, place something that can be used as a quasi ramp in the trunk so you can roll up on it for ground clearance to use the scissor jack. With a flat you simply will not get the jack underneath.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah I have the four piston brakes. It was a very good deal and it fits perfectly in the front. Beats the air compressor and fix a flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Debating on getting the Modern Spare kit
it’s not cheap but thinking it might be a good investment.
Cheap insurance?
Wondering how many have made the purchase?
I know the car has the air pump and a can of slime but if it’s a puncture that the slime won’t temporarily fix it look like a tow and possible damage.
Thoughts 🤔
I ordered the kit with the jack and spacer from Modern Spare a few days after I bought my Scat Pack. Too many late night trips to count on a plug and a airpump.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts