Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2006 Charger r/t used and it only had one key. How can I go about getting another key for it with the buttons and all

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
They have a few on E-bay, and you can buy them at a few places online. Your dealer can get one, but it will be expensive from there. As far as programming, you can do it yourself IF you have two programmed keys. If not, your gonna have to let the dealer do it for a charge. Talk to your dealer though, if you bought your Charger from a Dodge dealer, they should give you a second key, since thats the way they should be sold. Maybe you can make a deal with them. If it was not a Dodge or Chrysler dealer, then try to talk the dealer into a key, but you might still have to pay for it. These new keys are great and secure and stuff, but a PITA to replace and expensive sometimes. Good luck and let us know if we can help you out. :)

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Do yourself a huge favor, when you buy your remote key, buy a non-remote key and program that one yourself. That way you have a third spare in case you loose one of the remote keys. Then all you need to do is buy a remote key, have it cut, and you can program it yourself. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
those keys are dfinitely expensive. My dad broke the key in half for a MB ml suv and it cost $250 for a new one.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
My fiance just bought a used Magnum two months ago and they tried telling him that there was only one key. They offered to cut him a second, but it would just be a door key, no remote. I told him no way. I made him insist on the second remote key and low and behold the next time we came in they had it.

Those suckers are pricey. And considering how much you're already spending I would definitely mention that it looks like bad business to not supply the extra key.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
When I bought my car the dealer told me that a replacement key would be $150 so don't lose both the keys.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I bought my 2006 Charger r/t used and it only had one key. How can I go about getting another key for it with the buttons and all
Best to get it done, and soon. There is another key out there "somewhere" that will get into your car and start it. Getting a new key made will involve getting your current key reprogrammed so that the other "lost" key will no longer be able to work on your car.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I am considering buying a new remote key, my fob lettering is wearing out. Anyone else's white lettering on the fob getting dark? I wonder if I clean it up to whiten it, then spray a clear satin finish will work?
No intention on hi-jacking, I looked into the price of the key and was surprised.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Best to get it done, and soon. There is another key out there "somewhere" that will get into your car and start it. Getting a new key made will involve getting your current key reprogrammed so that the other "lost" key will no longer be able to work on your car.
I read this same thing in my owners manual last night.

Your car will work with one of those non-remote sentry keys, you just won't have the remote features. What I am doing is buying a non-remote key as my third key. Non-remote keys are usually around 20 bucks, remote keys are running 100+. All I need to do is have it cut, then I can program it myself with my two current remote keys. Remember, you MUST have two PROGRAMMED keys in order to program a third key yourself. (You may program up to 8 keys total, this is all in the owners manual). I suggest everyone does this. Keep the third key locked away in your lockbox, or whereever. That way, if you loose one remote key, you still have two programmed keys. Then you can buy a new remote key and have it cut, then program it yourself. This will save you lots of money in the future. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am considering buying a new remote key, my fob lettering is wearing out. Anyone else's white lettering on the fob getting dark? I wonder if I clean it up to whiten it, then spray a clear satin finish will work?
No intention on hi-jacking, I looked into the price of the key and was surprised.
on ebay i have seen people selling new cases for our keys,im not sure if it includes new buttons..basically they have different colors cases....also i have seen used keys on ebay cheap,maybe you can change the inside button of the ebay one to yours...if not the key itself goes for 100.00 new on ebay,they you have to have it cut and programmed for your car...good luck

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

When did you buy your car? If it was recently talk to the sales manager.

I did. They told me my car came with one key. I got the car anyway, but I told my sales person that I was not going to pay for another key. They told me a 2 week wait (Bull$hit). I spoke with the General Manager and explain to him that I bought a new car with one key. I had a key the following day. Funny thing is they found my original second key, so I have 3.

·
Registered
252 Posts
When Chrysler sells you a new car, they usually give a card (size of a business card) which has the key serial number which you provide to the dealer so they can order a new key. I have this card in my car now and have had it in my previous Chrysler vehicles. Did you check the owner's manual? Maybe it was placed in there.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Oh, and another good thing about a third key is use it when you take your car in for service anywhere. Give them the non-remote/third key and keep your regular key. That way, if the dealer or shop looses your key, your not stuck. I always use my third key for service trips on both my Neon and my Charger. :smile:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Oh, and another good thing about a third key is use it when you take your car in for service anywhere. Give them the non-remote/third key and keep your regular key. That way, if the dealer or shop looses your key, your not stuck. I always use my third key for service trips on both my Neon and my Charger. :smile:
Not a bad idea, but if a dealer/ service center loses the key, I would get suspicious.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Key Programmining

They only have to program it if you do not have two programmed keys already. If you do have two programmed keys you can program a third key yourself. :D
I'm not so sure of that. I bought a blank remote key from keylessride.com for my Honda Pilot. I was able to program the key to open my door locks with the other key, but a locksmith had to reprogram all of my keys to work with the on-board (ignition) security system.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I'm not so sure of that. I bought a blank remote key from keylessride.com for my Honda Pilot. I was able to program the key to open my door locks with the other key, but a locksmith had to reprogram all of my keys to work with the on-board (ignition) security system.

I did this with my Neon and Daytona. The instructions are in the owners manual. You do have to have both programmed keys with you to program any more. If you only have one programmed key, you cannot program any more yourself. Honda's might be different though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts