Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking while installing my new BT catch can today and decided to do it.
Here was the deal. How many of y'all are running the OEM SRT hood with the Airaid intake kit (w/ scoop)? If you are, you know that only half of the air that is pulled/forced in through the hood is getting to the intake. The other half is being dumped on the passenger side of the engine. I began wondering if this uneven cooling effect would cause any negative side effects on the engine. Also, when idling, you would be pulling hot air in from that side of the engine over into the intake. You also would be gaining some heat extraction once the engine is shut down.
So, I capped off the passenger side of the hood ducting so that all the air coming in would 1) be routed into the intake side, 2) be cool air, no hot air bleed over. Doubt that I will see any SOP gains out of this but the theory of it seems good to me.
Any one else doing this? Or something similar?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
You have to remember the charger is the only 6.1 w/ the factory scoop.All other do not have this..Capping it off will not hurt anything..It should help keep the underhood temps down..IMO

·
Registered
676 Posts
It won't hurt anything to block it off imo. But I don't think that capping it off would be wise though. I mean, if you have a way of venting cooler air onto a very hot engine, you shouldn't try to block/stop it. Anything to help cool the engine when it is hot should be taken advantage of. Blocking it won't serve any benefit.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It won't hurt anything to block it off imo. But I don't think that capping it off would be wise though. I mean, if you have a way of venting cooler air onto a very hot engine, you shouldn't try to block/stop it. Anything to help cool the engine when it is hot should be taken advantage of. Blocking it won't serve any benefit.
What I was looking for was to "force" more of the cool air into the intake.
I realize that I will be losing the cooling effect of air moving on the engine and the heat release/venting when it is shut down. But I was a little concerned about the uneven cooling of the engine by only having the air come down on the one side (because the airaid scoop blocks it on the other). Anyone have any thoughts on that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts