Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm interested on the new 8-speed that was mentioned, has anyone seen or heard anything about that.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wish they'd put 8 speed in our current gen.

that 5 speed sometimes just disappoints you. not to mention the lack of fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
8 speed? what a joke. Take your quarter mile and throw it in the trash. might as well put a junk cvt in at that range

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
8 speed? what a joke. Take your quarter mile and throw it in the trash. might as well put a junk cvt in at that range
baton down the hatches... the world is coming to an end... I agree with wicked, LOL

I wonder how they'll handle the torque load with an 8 speed. Adding in all those clutches takes room and they have to make them smaller to fit within the package space.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would think "if" they can make the shifting shorter and more precise on the 8 speed, i don't see why that wouldn't benefit. consider when doing WOT at cruizing, 8 speed should benefit a great deal.

now the added weight and expense is a whole other story.

·
Super Moderator
11,622 Posts
Whole lotta nothing in that article.

:bored:

But thanks for posting anyway. :)

-=FLEx=-

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
It might be 8seeds at "normal" acceleration, but have a sport mode and "Skip" gears to a 4-speed under WOT??

·
Banned
370 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
They been using the 7spd in teh benz's for a while and they have a decent amount of torque in the 550 series. Still I think its over kill, a 6sp would be fine, narrow out 2nd and 3rd a bit.

I didnt read the article at all, im lazy.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
exactly as hskr said. Our cars dont shift 1-2-3-4-5 very often. They skip shifts all the time. 2-4 are on one rail and 1-3-5 and reverse on its own. So for less work they skip shifts to stay on the same rail and thats part of the programing anyway. Even at full throtte most 6 speeds will skip gears thus your not applying the torque you need to the ground.
Just like the ring gear on the 09 charger, this is nothing but a marketing ploy. They'll up the power on the motor but change the gearing so it cant be applied to the ground. Thus you get higher mpg with the higher power. Just like why the 09's have 40 more hp but run slightly slower e.t.s. The vvt and ring gear inhibit certain things by keeping the power under wraps.
Extra gears is nothing but a gas saver. Your car also loses speed while shifting so the more shifts it makes in the quater the more time you waste. That is what made the cvt so popular. Infinite gear ranges and a car that never went over 2k under throttle.
Remember 18 wheelers are 16 speed trannies and when was the last time you saw one of them lighting chit up at a traffic light? Same as a 6 speed diesel ram/f350. your pretty much in 2nd by 5 mph and 3rd by 15.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Mercedes went to a 7 and didn't seem to have problems with it BUT they continued to offer 5 speeds on their "all out" types of cars... it will affect it but in a good way to the V6 crowd... it makes it more responsive at any speed and still have a highway gear to get the revs down. Hemi's will probably stay with the 5speed but for CRISSAKES PUT A DAMN 6 SPEED MANUAL OPTION IN!!!!!!!

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
exactly as hskr said. Our cars dont shift 1-2-3-4-5 very often. They skip shifts all the time. 2-4 are on one rail and 1-3-5 and reverse on its own. So for less work they skip shifts to stay on the same rail and thats part of the programing anyway. Even at full throtte most 6 speeds will skip gears thus your not applying the torque you need to the ground.
Just like the ring gear on the 09 charger, this is nothing but a marketing ploy. They'll up the power on the motor but change the gearing so it cant be applied to the ground. Thus you get higher mpg with the higher power. Just like why the 09's have 40 more hp but run slightly slower e.t.s. The vvt and ring gear inhibit certain things by keeping the power under wraps.
Extra gears is nothing but a gas saver. Your car also loses speed while shifting so the more shifts it makes in the quater the more time you waste. That is what made the cvt so popular. Infinite gear ranges and a car that never went over 2k under throttle.
Remember 18 wheelers are 16 speed trannies and when was the last time you saw one of them lighting chit up at a traffic light? Same as a 6 speed diesel ram/f350. your pretty much in 2nd by 5 mph and 3rd by 15.
Agreed. 8 speeds is strictly for gasoline mileage. Clutches smaller, less friction materials, more smaller gears in the same case....less durable and figure 10-12,000 to replace when they break! No thanks I'll keep my W5A580 NAG1 thank you very much!!

Brian
BND Automotive LLC

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
8 speed Chargers :eek:

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
for proof, i call right now, that 8 speed will never ever see a srt model.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
e. That is what made the cvt so popular. Infinite gear ranges and a car that never went over 2k under throttle. .
What CVTs have you driven?? Had a '07 Caliber for about a year. Under WOT that thing went straight to 6K and stayed there till you let off.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What's cvt? Truck?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
constant variable transmission. A lot of nissans, the Dodge Caliber and Jeep Compass came with them. Dodge actually "borrowed" the tranny from Nissan. Uses belts and a cone shaped pulleys to adjust the gearing.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
What CVTs have you driven?? Had a '07 Caliber for about a year. Under WOT that thing went straight to 6K and stayed there till you let off.
fusion, milan, zephyr, 500, taurus, taurusx, freestyle, flex, civic, 6,

1 - 20 of 40 Posts