Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Winter sucked for my green car, but with one of the tires going flat and separating from the rim, and 2 inches of ice under the car, I had no ability to move the car. I washed the wheels in the spring but the damage had already been done.

Continue scrolling to find out how Auto Glym fixed my stained wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Set for sale.

It doesn't fix your current wheel but I have a set of 2013 R/T clad wheels for sale.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Man that sucks. Sorry to see that. Once that chrome cladding gets like that, I'm afraid there's not much that you can do with them. I may be wrong with all of the new cleaners and polishes that come out yearly, but I kinda doubt it. I hope I'm wrong. Hope you get some good helpful tips. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Powder coating is your friend. In my inexperienced opinion you will need to go and get them refinished in some way. Black wheels on the lime would look great. You could also do plastidip to try out the look.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
"Chrome clad" wheels are chrome vapor plated plastic over a raw cast aluminum wheel.

In order to treat it, you need to treat it like plastic...not chrome.

The best plastic polish is Brasso. It's a metal polish used for soft metals but it's perfect for plastic. I have restored old faded tail lights on 50 year old cars with it. Just do a small spot and see how it works.

If the chrome plating is too far gone, the only restorations for those kind of wheels are to either paint them or have them replated by a quality shop using the Spectra Chrome system.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I has a sad :(

Reactions: RScottyL

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't fix your current wheel but I have a set of 2013 R/T clad wheels for sale.
Doesn't help me at all.
"Chrome clad" wheels are chrome vapor plated plastic over a raw cast aluminum wheel.

In order to treat it, you need to treat it like plastic...not chrome.

The best plastic polish is Brasso. It's a metal polish used for soft metals but it's perfect for plastic. I have restored old faded tail lights on 50 year old cars with it. Just do a small spot and see how it works.

If the chrome plating is too far gone, the only restorations for those kind of wheels are to either paint them or have them replated by a quality shop using the Spectra Chrome system.
Powder coating might look okay. The staining comes off when I wash it with a stiff bristled brush, but then I figured I'd wreck it cause it's plastic.

·
Registered
440 Posts
those rims are for sale on every craigslist fairly cheap I bought my set with tires on them with 75% tread life for 600. bucks . I have seen singles too.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Doesn't help me at all.

Powder coating might look okay. The staining comes off when I wash it with a stiff bristled brush, but then I figured I'd wreck it cause it's plastic.
Powder coating is a high heat process and will melt the plastic covers. You either need to clean and polish them or paint over them.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
those rims are for sale on every craigslist fairly cheap I bought my set with tires on them with 75% tread life for 600. bucks . I have seen singles too.
All 4 are stained. This isn't really an option right now.
Powder coating is a high heat process and will melt the plastic covers. You either need to clean and polish them or paint over them.
Maybe Plasti dip is the way to go then lol

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Honestly, I would get them painted professionally, it's pretty cheap and they'll look great. For a quick fix, yeah you could do PD, but honestly if it was me and I had a Daytona I have them painted. You could also have them vinyl wrapped with chromed vinyl. Stuff doesn't last forever unfortunately but it's the alternative if you want to keep the bling bling.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
As Ddaddy said, try the brasso. I've used it on many an item. If that brings the wheels back, give them a good waxing and wax them before the cold weather hits next time. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly, I would get them painted professionally, it's pretty cheap and they'll look great. For a quick fix, yeah you could do PD, but honestly if it was me and I had a Daytona I have them painted. You could also have them vinyl wrapped with chromed vinyl. Stuff doesn't last forever unfortunately but it's the alternative if you want to keep the bling bling.
Financially not in a place to do that right now.

I have no luck with Chrome and chrome like stuff up here... The stuff they pour onto our roads just eat everything. And they don't wash the roads until late May- June, so when it rains it's all over everything again.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Financially not in a place to do that right now.

I have no luck with Chrome and chrome like stuff up here... The stuff they pour onto our roads just eat everything. And they don't wash the roads until late May- June, so when it rains it's all over everything again.
Word, well then go with DP maybe get them painted later on down the road when you have more financial wiggle room. :beerchug:

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SOLVED!!!!!! OMG I'm the happiest person in the world right now. My friend gave me this brake dust cleaner for plastic coated wheels..... and it cleaned the stuff right off. They look flawless! Auto Glym <3 <3 <3 <3

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Good deal. Give them a coat of wax before winter gets here this year, so you hopefully don't have the same issue next year.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
SOLVED!!!!!! OMG I'm the happiest person in the world right now. My friend gave me this brake dust cleaner for plastic coated wheels..... and it cleaned the stuff right off. They look flawless! Auto Glym <3 <3 <3 <3
That's great!! :bigthumb:

Please share the details of what you used so that others can take advantage of your success for their wheels! :)

I also agree with putting a nice coat of wax on them to protect them in the future.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll post a pic tomorrow probably.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts