Charger Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I remember last year when looking at dodge.com the Performance Handling Package included the 230mm rear axle, which has been removed from 2021.
I don't think Dodge makes an open version of the 230mm axle.
For sure my 2016 has an open 3.07 230 mm differential as part of the 29R Road and Track package. Doesn't make any sense why they needed the larger ring gear but there it is.

from the build sheet
3.07 Rear Axle Ratio
230MM Rear Axle

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Thought the 5.7L Pursuit had the 230 mm open rear.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Charger SXT
68 Posts
I remember last year when looking at dodge.com the Performance Handling Package included the 230mm rear axle, which has been removed from 2021.
I don't think Dodge makes an open version of the 230mm axle.
If Im not mistaken, the rear diff of the pursuit cars are 230mm. I purchased a diff from one, and it was 230mm. It just depends on if they still use it on the pursuit.

·
Registered
758 Posts
As already suggested, lower your tire pressure to 30lbs. It makes a huge difference and doesn’t cost anything.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
If Im not mistaken, the rear diff of the pursuit cars are 230mm. I purchased a diff from one, and it was 230mm. It just depends on if they still use it on the pursuit.
In 2020 (and years immediately prior) this is what the brochure said (although brochures are often wrong...):
PERFORMANCE HANDLING GROUP — Includes leather flat-bottom steering wheel, Black Brembo fixed-caliper 4-piston brakes, high-performance suspension, 245/45ZR20 All-Season Performance tires and 20x9-inch forged Black Noise wheels.
We know that the 20x9 black noise wheels aren't really forged as far as I know, previously I've shown this from the 2019 Brochure:
PLUS GROUP — Includes leather sport seat (on SXT), Nappa/Alcantara® perforated seating (on GT and R/T), Scat Pack logo leather seats (on Scat Pack), security alarm, blind spot/memory/power/heated mirrors, Black-edge premium floor mats, heated steering wheel (standard on Scat Pack), soft-touch instrument panel, front overhead LED lighting, driver and passenger lower LED lamps, bifunctional High Intensity Discharge projector headlamps, power/tilt telescoping steering column. For SXT, rear body-color spoiler, 6 premium speakers, 20-inch Granite Crystal wheels, 276-watt amplifier, Uconnect® 4C, sport suspension, compact spare tire. For SXT and GT, 245/45R20 BSW All-Season performance tires. For GT and R/T, includes 20x9-inch Black Noise wheels.
Again no Plus Group came with 20x9 wheels!

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,189 Posts
Tire pressure should be set per spec not for ride comfort. Too low tire pressure can make for unsafe conditions. This is what Ford did with the Explorer years ago blaming it on Firestone. They spec'd the tire psi lower trying to soften the ride.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Phantom Black
482 Posts
The easiest, and best way to get a smoother ride, would be to find 18s that fit over the Brembos and run a 225/60/18 tire.
As few people mentioned - I would go the same way.

And basically, I do notice change :
225/60/18 on 18" (my winter setup) the car's ride is smooth, while 245/45/20 on 20" it very sharp
The car's list has "performance suspension"

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,282 Posts
First thing I would try is dropping your tire pressure to 29-30 Psi. See if that is enough and it's free.
Next move would be to find a really nice looking 18 inch wheel and get new All season Tires. I suggest getting the Continental DWS06 Plus. You would have to research the correct offset for your car for the wheels and then the correct tire size that would work perfectly for your car. 19 inch wheels also might be something to consider like the SXT AWD model wheels and tire size. That might do the trick as my wife has a 2019 SXT AWD and that thing glides down the road compared to my Scat Pack which is stiff and doesn't ride as nice. Probably more like yours does.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
First thing I would try is dropping your tire pressure to 29-30 Psi. See if that is enough and it's free.
Next move would be to find a really nice looking 18 inch wheel and get new All season Tires. I suggest getting the Continental DWS06 Plus. You would have to research the correct offset for your car for the wheels and then the correct tire size that would work perfectly for your car. 19 inch wheels also might be something to consider like the SXT AWD model wheels and tire size. That might do the trick as my wife has a 2019 SXT AWD and that thing glides down the road compared to my Scat Pack which is stiff and doesn't ride as nice. Probably more like yours does.
He has a 2021 R/T with the Performance Handling Group which means he has the high performance suspension and the 4 pot Brembos like a stock Scat Pack. With the 5.7 he probably has a more neutral feel with less weight on the front than the 392 but the ride is the same stiffness!

With the Brembos he'd need aftermarket 18x8 wheels to clear the brakes. The greater sidewall really does soften the ride (I run 18 inch winter wheels and the difference is pretty dramatic).

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't do long trips but my brother does in his 2018 and until the seats broke in a bit he had low back issues on regular 900 mile one way trips.. seat cushions in these cars need some break in. IMO..
I'm glad to learn that it takes a long time for the seats to break in!

·
Registered
57 Posts
In the States you can put the Performance Handling Group on the R/T or GT and get the Brembos, 20x9 wheels and the shocks/struts from the Scat but you don't get the 3.09 Limited Slip Diff!

There are no more soft riding V8 Chargers with touring suspension. Everything is Performance (Super Track Pak) or High Performance (Scat Pack) since 2019.

The Chrysler 300S (as long as you don't get the 3 season tires) might be your best bet pretty sure those still have the "Sport-tuned" suspension that is not as stiff as Performance.
How about riding in street mode in the Scat Pack? That should soften it a bit.

·
Registered
2018 Charger SXT
68 Posts
Same thoughts toward the Challenger when they first came out. I drove home in a new 2008 Charger. Now again bought a 2018 new. The Challengers look great but no room for real life.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Tire pressure should be set per spec not for ride comfort. Too low tire pressure can make for unsafe conditions. This is what Ford did with the Explorer years ago blaming it on Firestone. They spec'd the tire psi lower trying to soften the ride.
I suggested lowering his pressure from 32 to 30. That’s not enough to cause any issues and makes a huge difference. Two pounds won’t even trigger the low tire pressure light.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Same thoughts toward the Challenger when they first came out. I drove home in a new 2008 Charger. Now again bought a 2018 new. The Challengers look great but no room for real life.
Are you saying the Charger has a softer ride in street mode?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The OP doesn't have a Scat Pack and the only Scat Pack with a Street Mode that would alter suspension damping is the one with the Adaptive/Active dampers which would mean you'd need to get the Dynamics Package and then option the Adaptive Suspension.... then you basically have the old SRT 392.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Chrysler 300 that put Mopar Stage 1 Springs and the Bilstiens on to stiffen it up. I am in Tampa Florida so the roads are much better. I do have the stock Struts, Shocks and Springs if you are interested. The 300s are supposedly sprung and dampened much softer than the chargers. I am just afraid the shipping would be a bunch.

·
Registered
2018 Charger SXT
68 Posts
Are you saying the Charger has a softer ride in street mode?
The Charger might be slightly softer due to wheelbase, but not enough to say its a difference to buy it over the Challenger. Most people I know buy the Charger over the Challenger for the room. Both look great in my opinion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The OP doesn't have a Scat Pack and the only Scat Pack with a Street Mode that would alter suspension damping is the one with the Adaptive/Active dampers which would mean you'd need to get the Dynamics Package and then option the Adaptive Suspension.... then you basically have the old SRT 392.

So a 2021 Scat Pack has a street mode for suspension but it's not as soft as the old SRT 392?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts