Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2021dodge charger RT plus which I just bought a month ago. It has a high performance suspension because of which it is little extra stiff and specially on Michigan roads I can feel the potholes more. First I thought I can live with it but now it has aggravated my back pain. I am looking for suggestions on how I can soften the suspension little bit as I am newbee to all these things. I really love this car and its my daily driver but on long drives it gets a little uncomfortable.

I don't wanna spend too much money on it but my budget can go upto 2000 Dollors with everything included.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,181 Posts
Suspension mods is a lot of money to sink into a new car. If 18 inch wheels will go over your brakes, not sure if you have Brembo or BR5.
The resale is good on these cars now, try to trade out of it or into a 300.

Reactions: DodgeGuy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suspension mods is a lot of money to sink into a new car. If 18 inch wheels will go over your brakes, not sure if you have Brembo or BR5.
The resale is good on these cars now, try to trade out of it or into a 300.
I was thinking to change the struts and shocks.
Will that help?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
How do you know which suspension you have? My 2010 R/T had the touring suspension and that thing handled like a boat, but the ride was smooth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you know which suspension you have? My 2010 R/T had the touring suspension and that thing handled like a boat, but the ride was smooth.
The car came with Performance handling group package which has a High-Performance suspension and brembo brakes I drove it and loved it but I noticed that bumpy ride kills my lower back. I use full lumbar support but these Michigan Roads are really bad.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
The car came with Performance handling group package which has a High-Performance suspension and brembo brakes I drove it and loved it but I noticed that bumpy ride kills my lower back. I use full lumbar support but these Michigan Roads are really bad.
So are the ones in Pennsylvania. As someone else suggested, what is your tire psi? Lowering to around 32 will help. If I'm doing a highway trip I'll air up to around 38psi which is good for high speeds but you feel everything. For normal driving I keep them at 32psi. Much softer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So are the ones in Pennsylvania. As someone else suggested, what is your tire psi? Lowering to around 32 will help. If I'm doing a highway trip I'll air up to around 38psi which is good for high speeds but you feel everything. For normal driving I keep them at 32psi. Much softer.
I keep over all 32 PSI all the time. Will changing the shocks and struts can help to soften little bit more?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have an 18 R/T with STP which is similar suspension to what you have. I'm in Wisconsin and know about rough roads too. .. 32 PSI is for full GVW ( 5100 lbs or so IIRC ) I run 30 PSI cold which helps the ride a little. normally it's just me in the car so a bit lower PSI won't hurt anything. me in the car with a full tank it weighs 4630 lbs. this won't solve your problem but it may improve it a bit..

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks for the advise... Will try that too... Does it hurt your back on long trips?
I don't do long trips but my brother does in his 2018 and until the seats broke in a bit he had low back issues on regular 900 mile one way trips.. seat cushions in these cars need some break in. IMO..

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,181 Posts
Your going to be spending money to throw money away and bastardize the car. I would have to trade out of it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Honestly you might want to try to sell and get an R/T without the handling package... you basically have the Scat Pack suspension and brakes. The normal R/T has performance suspension (the old Super Track Pak) which isn't all that soft either but should be a bit better.

It sounds like you really need a Chrysler 300C (not the S).

In 2019 Dodge figured if you want the V8 you probably want the stiffer suspension so all V8 cars basically have the Super Track Pak or stiffer suspensions now!

·
Registered
344 Posts
We can't even get the performance suspension package or Brembos on the R/T in Canada.
The benefit(especially for winter) is you should also have the LSD, which is worth its weight in gold in slippery conditions.
The easiest, and best way to get a smoother ride, would be to find 18s that fit over the Brembos and run a 225/60/18 tire.
You could even sell your stock wheels to make up the difference in cash to someone with an SXT.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would recommend getting some 18" wheels, I notice a big ride difference in my 16 Super track pack R/T when I put the 20" wheels away for the winter. By far the cheaper option, and you can sell the 20" wheels to offset the purchase if you wish.

There are 18" wheels which fit over the 4 piston brembo brakes, no luck for the 6 piston. 18" Winter Wheels for 2021 Dodge Charger Scat Pack...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
We can't even get the performance suspension package or Brembos on the R/T in Canada.
The benefit(especially for winter) is you should also have the LSD, which is worth its weight in gold in slippery conditions.
The easiest, and best way to get a smoother ride, would be to find 18s that fit over the Brembos and run a 225/60/18 tire.
You could even sell your stock wheels to make up the difference in cash to someone with an SXT.
In the States you can put the Performance Handling Group on the R/T or GT and get the Brembos, 20x9 wheels and the shocks/struts from the Scat but you don't get the 3.09 Limited Slip Diff!

There are no more soft riding V8 Chargers with touring suspension. Everything is Performance (Super Track Pak) or High Performance (Scat Pack) since 2019.

The Chrysler 300S (as long as you don't get the 3 season tires) might be your best bet pretty sure those still have the "Sport-tuned" suspension that is not as stiff as Performance.

·
Registered
2018 Charger SXT
68 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2021dodge charger RT plus which I just bought a month ago. It has a high performance suspension because of which it is little extra stiff and specially on Michigan roads I can feel the potholes more. First I thought I can live with it but now it has aggravated my back pain. I am looking for suggestions on how I can soften the suspension little bit as I am newbee to all these things. I really love this car and its my daily driver but on long drives it gets a little uncomfortable.

I don't wanna spend too much money on it but my budget can go upto 2000 Dollors with everything included.
Taller profile tires help, will absorb the bumps more. And not many people ever say or know it, but taller profile tires in the rear also help with hooking up because they have a little more flex not as stiff.

·
Registered
344 Posts
In the States you can put the Performance Handling Group on the R/T or GT and get the Brembos, 20x9 wheels and the shocks/struts from the Scat but you don't get the 3.09 Limited Slip Diff!
I remember last year when looking at dodge.com the Performance Handling Package included the 230mm rear axle, which has been removed from 2021.
I don't think Dodge makes an open version of the 230mm axle.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts