Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have posted in another thread ( http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105313 ) I was experiencing some pretty serious steering wheel shake when braking on the highway. While it would come in go in severity, it was pretty frequent.

The general consensus was that I needed new rotors. That's what I thought too. I even brought it to the dealer to have it looked at as I was at the end of my warranty and wanted to be sure it wasn't something else that would be covered. Their response was the same- yes my rotors needed replacing to the tune of $650. At under 35k miles I wasn't about to spend that money at a time I don't have it.

Fast forward a few more months- I just had new tires put on and the shaking is gone! I've been driving on them since Monday and braking is smooth as glass every time.

So just because the dealer says you need rotors, that may not be the case. The question does remain- what aspect of the work I had done fixed the shake? I can't think of what would have been causing shaking while applying brakes that wouldn't cause shake w/out brakes. If the tires were out of balance it would have been constant shake. I would think the same if the lug nuts were torqued wrong. And I'm pretty sure I had had at least one tire rotation done while still having the shaking issue...

Not that it's related but the dealer told me they had to take the tires back off the rims and remount them to get them to balance right. (See this thread: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111524 )

Anyway, food for thought...

·
Registered
217 Posts
same problem,

I was having the same problem. Shaking upon heavy braking. I had a tire blowout so I repalced them all. I had 40k on the originals and they were getting bad. So when I replaced them and the tire guy did an alignment. Shaking seems to have been greatly reduced though I still think the rotors are warped. I'll find out for sur ethis Friday when I go to the drag races here.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
My front rotors began warping at about 16k miles and got progressively more annoying. I had some spare time over the weekend and just replaced them with Raybestos rotors + Hawk HPS pads. Vibration is gone and braking seems substantially better than stock. The OEM pads hardly look worn at all.

Anyway, total cost was about $80 for the rotors and $81 for the pads. Add another couple of bucks for a can of brake cleaner and some disc brake goo for the back of the pads. Figure about 20 minutes per side if you're loafing along.

Best,

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
I'm going to take a guess at this.

Slightly out of balance front tires may never be really felt on the highway, as there is no real forward, acceleration, or rear, braking, force. They are just rolling along, doing nothing...just rolling.

When there is brake pressure applied, the out of balance tire suddenly has to deal with force, and this causes it to be felt in the steering wheel.

That's my best guess and I actually believe it to be somewhat true.

Anyone care to elaborate?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to take a guess at this.

Slightly out of balance front tires may never be really felt on the highway, as there is no real forward, acceleration, or rear, braking, force. They are just rolling along, doing nothing...just rolling.

When there is brake pressure applied, the out of balance tire suddenly has to deal with force, and this causes it to be felt in the steering wheel.

That's my best guess and I actually believe it to be somewhat true.

Anyone care to elaborate?
Certainly sounds plausible. Pretty maddening if that's the case that the dealer wouldn't have at least suggested a re-balance might be in order before saying I needed to spend $650 on a car w/ 30k miles on it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts