Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an R/T with a full SRT8 body kit and the rims. Unfortunately, the seller couldn't stop there. SRT8 and 392 badges galore (he probably should've gone with 6.4 labels on this one). Yep, nothing better than when someone sees your "392" Hemi and you show him your 5.7. An SRT8 that's an SRT8 everywhere except under the hood...please. False badging will always suck...and it's especially sad in this case, because it's a beautiful R/T otherwise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charg...590d2808e&item=161343504526&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
There's something very fishy about that car. The pics show a full SRT-8 car including exhaust, rear fascia, wheels, Brembo brakes, SRT seats, SRT-8 badge on the dash, SRT steering wheel etc.

This is not an R/T rebuild/salvage as claimed. It looks more like a stolen SRT being sold using the VIN from a wrecked R/T as cover...

·
Registered
561 Posts
There's something very fishy about that car. The pics show a full SRT-8 car including exhaust, rear fascia, wheels, Brembo brakes, SRT seats, SRT-8 badge on the dash, SRT steering wheel etc.

This is not an R/T rebuild/salvage as claimed. It looks more like a stolen SRT being sold using the VIN from a wrecked R/T as cover...
Agreed. The amount of investment to make an R/T look that much like an SRT visually would have been better spent getting an actual R/T. That car in the picture is not an R/T. They should have taken a picture of the motor. I mean, come on. It even has the SRT steering wheel.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It does however, say SRT "design" on the back instead of SRT8...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
If you look really close, in one of the pics you can see that it doesn't have Brembos but fake Brembo caliper covers. R/T rear spoiler as well. I think its an R/T with ALOT of SRT stuff. You gotta look close though.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
If you look really close, in one of the pics you can see that it doesn't have Brembos but fake Brembo caliper covers. R/T rear spoiler as well. I think its an R/T with ALOT of SRT stuff. You gotta look close though.
I think you're right. Now that I am home and can see it on my good monitor, I can see the Brembo covers, non-slotted rotors, aftermarket exhaust, R/T gauges and SRT design rear badge.

This is a serious frankencar but it looks well done. I wonder if they pieced together two salvaged wrecks and used the R/T one as the base? A t-boned and totaled SRT would easily be able to donate most of those parts

I have to give the seller credit for not trying to pass it off as an SRT.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
The rear badge doesn't say SRT8, it reads SRT Design.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
There's something very fishy about that car......
I agree. Without giving away all of our secrets, I'll just say that there are a few things that I look for that are a bit suspect. I'd like to get a closer look to see some of the public, and hidden vin's to see if they all match up.

.....I have to give the seller credit for not trying to pass it off as an SRT.
Again, I agree. They could easily pass this off on craigslist or somewhere that wouldn't hold them accountable as the real deal. They wouldn't have a whole lot of trouble sliding that by to a lot of potential buyers.

May be exactly what they claim, and I like you're theory on using 2 chargers. Though I wonder why not use the SRT VIN if it was used for a second donor. Seems almost more like the SRT is hot, and they're piecing it out. Maybe some parts on a RT here, engine parts separate there, etc, etc.

Or maybe it's all on the up and up, and they just put a lot of work into it. It does look good though, except the SRT badge on the dash, and 392 on the fenders. I'll even get behind the "SRT Design" on the trunk, since that one isn't claiming to be anything but design, which it clearly is.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Damn, that's a lot of work for nothing. I get the concept but not the finished product. I see the description but show up at a car show and let the giggles and whispering begin. It's just my opinion. I give them credit for great work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, that and the 392 badges on the fender kill it for me. Aside from that I like it. Nothing wrong with following a design, just don't apply false badges.
If he had put 5.7 HEMI (or some variant of) badges where the 392s are, I actually would've found that cool. For one, it's not false advertising. For another, it's not like the 5.7 is a slouch. I would've driven by that and thought "Nice, 5.7 with an SRT8 body kit". The 392 badges are really weak.

And there's too many "dead giveaways", like the gauge faces, that make trying to brand it anything other than a 5.7 look completely ridiculous. One quick peek at the dash and the illusion is destroyed.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Not all states accept a Michigan rebuilt title without full documentation of repairs done.

In NY, it'd likely be a track only car. You'd never get a registration.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just really hope no one buys this thing thinking its an SRT8 and its not. I wonder how much time and effort he put into making it look like an SRT. For us SRT8 owners out there we would be able to spot it in a heart beat. Spoilers is not as wide as an real srt, brakes, the 392 on the hood etc.

Just hope no one gets taken for there money thinking there getting something there not.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In the seller's defense, he's not trying to pass it off as a true SRT8...many 5.7 and R/T references in his listing.

Yeah, enthusiasts will catch on pretty quickly to the fact that this is not a true SRT8, but non-enthusiasts won't...then again, non-enthusiasts aren't really checking out other Chargers much anyway. That's why the false-badging thing is always lose-lose...the enthusiast will notice what's off right away, and the non-enthusiast won't care enough to be fooled.

Admittedly this car is nice-looking and what was done appears to have been done with great care. Lose the 392 badges, the SRT8 dash badge, and the SRT grille badge, and you have a pretty tasteful R/T with SRT body effects. Not bad.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Just really hope no one buys this thing thinking its an SRT8 and its not...... ......Just hope no one gets taken for there money thinking there getting something there not.
If they have half a brain they won't, because the seller clearly states it's a RT. Yeah, it's got some badges that need removed, but the seller clearly indicates what it is, and the VIN also identifies it as a RT. So if anyone buys it thinking it's a SRT, they did nothing other than "look at the pretty pictures", and they're a fool anyway. You know what they say, A fool and his money are soon parted.

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts