Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is quickly approaching 2 years under my ownership, 31k + miles. I truelly enjoy driving this car, that being said here is my story... (sad but true)

Do I get pulled over for 130 in a 70? Do I get pulled over for racing that mustang, or that poser in his honda? Do I get pulled over for leaving twin black streaks across an intersection as the car spews tire smoke at the loudass truck next to me? NO!!! I get pulled over for taking a turn too wide!

Leaving work today around 1:30 a.m. after a 17 hour shift, following yesterdays' 16 hour shift. I'm heading home, following my boss of campus, speeding just a lil bit. Take the turn off campus (right hand with a yield sign) at my usual speed. Look up and see the car that was in the oncoming lane pull a u-turn, drop in behind me, and flip the lights. Over I go into the convenience store parking lot and here he comes. He walks up to the window and asks "Where are you headed in such a hurry?" to which I tell him to go home and take a shower after a long work day and proceed to show him how much my hands match the color of my silver steel charger. And he says "Well I'm going to give you a warning for taking that turn back there wide." All I care about at this point was hearing the warning part. So 5 minutes later, plus the time it took me to take my showere, there was my rant.

Anyhow, off to bed I go, just had to get this out there... At least its good news and still mildly entertaining.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Maybe as a DUI Officer I can shine a little light on this.....a wide turn is one of the indicators that we are trained to look for in DUI detection. Following is an exact quote from the NHTSA training manual:

Turning with a wide radius, or drifting during a curve, is the final cue in this category of driver behaviors. A vehicle appears to drift to the outside of the lane, or into another lane, through the curve or while turning a corner. Watch for this cue and stop the driver when you see it. Many alcohol-involved crashes are caused by an expanding turn radius, or drifting out of lane position during a curve.

The fact that it was 1:30am (witching hour for drunks...happy halloween) and no ticket was issued, it's a very good chance that the Officer was checking for DUI drivers.

Not sure why you would be upset though

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really upset. Just more amused that the first time I get pulled over in a 300+ hp sports car, after the way it has been driven, was for taking a wide turn.

I kinda figured it was a DUI check though, just because of how complacent he became when I answered him cleanly, had the light on inside the car, and had my license and registration in my hand when he got to the window.
And trust me, I am very happy it was a warning.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Do I get pulled over for 130 in a 70? Do I get pulled over for racing that mustang, or that poser in his honda? Do I get pulled over for leaving twin black streaks across an intersection as the car spews tire smoke at the loudass truck next to me? NO!!! I get pulled over for taking a turn too wide!
LOL...isn't that always the way it goes? Think about it this way, though...at least you DIDN'T get pulled over for any of that, it'd cost A LOT more!!

It's nice to hear that the officer did notice that...had you been a drunk driver, I'd be happy that he took you off the road. But it's also nice how when he realized you were sober, he let you go w/a warning.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
Turning with a wide radius, or drifting during a curve, is the final cue in this category of driver behaviors.
A good friend of mine drives a tractor-trailer for a living (over 10 years now). He takes ALL his turns wide, even when driving his little econo-box car! :D Never been pulled over for it, though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.