Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they asked if it was Mopar or bought through Chrysler? I have an AFE Stage 2, so I answered no. They said they couldn't/wouldn't do it. Is that normal? Now I'm afraid they are going to use it against me for future warranty issues once I have it installed elsewhere. Also, how much should I expect to pay to have this installed by a local garage? Thanks.:grin:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Just do it your self.. :yes: an save about $60..
It's not that hard to install

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Yes, that seems normal since its not a genuine Mopar part. For them to install the non-Mopar CAI they them selves would be "violating" the warranty. As for holding it against you, thats up to the individual dealership, I've heard of dealerships that will allow you to mod and still do normal maintenance, but that's up to the individual dealership.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The dealer I bought my Charger from stocks and sells Mopar, K&N and Airaid CAI's. In fact they asked me if I wanted one installed before I picked up my
car.

·
Registered
230 Posts
do it yourself. mine took like 45 minutes start to finish and keep all your old parts that way if you need warranty work and think they wont honor it, you can slap em back in. Im not 100% but i think they have to prove the mod caused damage and all before it can void the warranty. My dealer told me to not ask em to warranty the sensor is all.

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
Installing an AFE or any brand CAI does not void your warranty per federal law as has been discussed on this forum 1,673,099,921 times over the last 2 yrs.....your dealer is a but-hole...my dealer has installed most the mods on my former SRT8...CNC heads, cam, catbacks, etc.....if you can change a flat you can install the AFE CAI..took me 15 minutes...

·
Registered
171 Posts
The reason your dealer is not installing it is probably because it was not bought from them. A lot of shops down here will not install stuff if you bring the parts in. The problem is that if you bring in a part that has a defect... and then something goes wrong with or after the install... the people you are probably going to scream at are the installers not the vendor that sold you the crappy part. As a result a lot of Indy shops and Dealers are refusing to install stuff that you do not get through them. Harley does the same thing now. If you bring in an actual Harley part they MAY install it... but because they can get a replacement part fairly easy if they get a bum part.

So I call it normal and that your dealer is not shafting you.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I bought my own K&N and my dealer installed it. Same with the MagnaFlow exhaust.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Dude seriously, just do it your self! Spend that extra 60-90 bones on another mod, or even take the Mrs. out to dinner for unlocking the mod $$ fund. If you're in central cali I'll hook ya up.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
im doing mine thursday when autozone gets it in

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll bring it to the local shop. Have a great night.:grin:

Seriously, you can do this yourself. It took me about 30. Only reason why is the IAT sensor wanted to be a PITA. Just read the instructions. If you already had someone do it for you, hope you like it. If not, DIY to the fullest. When you get done, you will be upset that you actually questioned your abilities.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Installing an AFE or any brand CAI does not void your warranty per federal law as has been discussed on this forum 1,673,099,921 times over the last 2 yrs.....your dealer is a but-hole...my dealer has installed most the mods on my former SRT8...CNC heads, cam, catbacks, etc.....if you can change a flat you can install the AFE CAI..took me 15 minutes...
TRUE!!!!! They cant void your warranty and should have taken your EASY money and installed it :)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Ohh and if you do it yourself make sure you lube the hole for the sensor and lube the sensor a little to help get it out.......

<ya I see you thinking about typing some smart @ comment, dont do it:)>

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
thats up to the individual dealership, I've heard of dealerships that will allow you to mod....
100% True. My buddy took his 300c In and they replaced his entire rack and pinion...with the 24's ON the car! The other dealer didnt even look at it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Would someone help me understand the thoughts and purposes for a CAI on a Charger?

Not mechanically speaking as I do understand the concept.

Yet they seem to be the talk of the town, but in other threads I've read that they add little (very little) to performance, they add "some" (limited, from what I understand) sound benefit under full throttle, but really nothing else to offer (speaking of generally stock otherwise).

I haven't made the move to do this on my TB Daytona, but if several owners can convince me that this is better than a bacon/lettuce/tomato sandwhich, I just might go for it...

Thanks!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Would someone help me understand the thoughts and purposes for a CAI on a Charger?

Not mechanically speaking as I do understand the concept.

Yet they seem to be the talk of the town, but in other threads I've read that they add little (very little) to performance, they add "some" (limited, from what I understand) sound benefit under full throttle, but really nothing else to offer (speaking of generally stock otherwise).

I haven't made the move to do this on my TB Daytona, but if several owners can convince me that this is better than a bacon/lettuce/tomato sandwhich, I just might go for it...

Thanks!
Bump....Still seeking input here.... :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
its part of a system man. yes it will add a tad more HP on its own, but if you plan on doing other mods they all work in concert. the better you can get the air in and out of your engine the better it will be working.

dont think of it so much as getting cold air to your engine, think of it as improving the flow IN to your engine (plus yes it does sound great). improve the flow OUT of your engine (headers/exhaust) and they will work together to give you bigger gains from all the components.

......damn....I still want a BLT =(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts