Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to be able to tow a motorcycle trailer. With bike and trailer, I'm looking at 1300 to 1400 pounds. My Boss 302 is out, I'd rather not use my Challenger, and Debbie's Honda is probably out. So can I tow that much with the Charger?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But what limits that capacity. Is it engine power, transmission, brakes?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
But what limits that capacity. Is it engine power, transmission, brakes?
To an extent yes, but also the load carrying components (axles, springs, tires,
wheels, etc.).

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I would like to be able to tow a motorcycle trailer. With bike and trailer, I'm looking at 1300 to 1400 pounds. My Boss 302 is out, I'd rather not use my Challenger, and Debbie's Honda is probably out. So can I tow that much with the Charger?
You can easily tow that much with the Charger. The factory rating is only what they tested it for, not the actual limit. SRT does not recommend towing at all (they never tested for it) but many here have towed with their SRT.

Check this thread out...

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230657&highlight=haul

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Older R/T's were capable of 3,800 lbs with load leveling trailer and factory hitch.

You won't even notice that light of a load :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Be aware that yes most cars can tow above the stated factory limits, but if your involved in an accident and your insurance company finds out you were pulling 3500 pounds when rated for 1000 you might be denied coverage.

cheers

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm guessing the factory doesn't recommend towing because some knuckleheads won't realize towing is different than just putting your foot into it, go crazy, and have a disaster. Likely that the tires, springs, tranny, etc. are good for the tow with a quality installed frame hitch (if you can find one or build it). Most likely parts to be overstressed are the cooling systems (radiators, coolers), either for the engine or the tranny. Factory also probably worries about liability. An idiot that takes out a few people because he's "running the 1/4" while towing is not good PR. Truck/ SUV buyers who regularly tow are much less likely to be idiots.

I had frame hitch on my 73 Road Runner GTX (440 bored, ported, cammed, headers, rebuilt 727, 3.55 SG, Edlebrock manifold, Holly 3310, etc) and pulled stuff, including a number of cars and trucks out of the ditch, at just above idle. Although after i stepped up the cam another notch I had to go to a bigger radiator and added a tranny cooler.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Be aware that yes most cars can tow above the stated factory limits, but if your involved in an accident and your insurance company finds out you were pulling 3500 pounds when rated for 1000 you might be denied coverage.

cheers
Nope. Insurance won't deny coverage for exceeding vehicle factory approved towing limits. It just doesn't work that way.

I'm guessing the factory doesn't recommend towing because some knuckleheads won't realize towing is different than just putting your foot into it, go crazy, and have a disaster. .
Not quite. The factory only recommends what they test. After that, it's on the vehicle owner to determine what they can do safely.

"Not recommended" is not the same as "Don't do it". They only endorse what they will know works and have tested for...every thing else is "not recommended"

It also will not void your warranty or cause an insurance denial if you do it safely. The warranty denial has to prove that doing it caused any mechanical failure and the insurance company only cares if you were operating in a safe manner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nope. Insurance won't deny coverage for exceeding vehicle factory approved towing limits. It just doesn't work that way.

Not quite. The factory only recommends what they test. After that, it's on the vehicle owner to determine what they can do safely.

"Not recommended" is not the same as "Don't do it". They only endorse what they will know works and have tested for...every thing else is "not recommended"

It also will not void your warranty or cause an insurance denial if you do it safely. The warranty denial has to prove that doing it caused any mechanical failure and the insurance company only cares if you were operating in a safe manner.
I'm still pretty sure if you were involved in an accident while towing a trailer that was overweight the insurance company would use that as an excuse to deny coverage.

The factory puts in print their recommended limits, if you choose to ignore them you're on your own and you can roll the dice, seems logical to me.

Plus if you go over the GVWR you could be facing fines from the local MTO/Police. (you have to include the tongue weight of your trailer in your GVWR calculations).

I concur that Insurance will cover most stupidity, but if you knowingly and willfully tow something above the recommended limits you might end up trying to explain it in court. A quick internet search will reveal cases where individuals were denied coverage for having an overloaded vehicle.

cheers

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Hey, we are only talking 300-400 lbs over the recommended factory tow specs here. A trailer with a motorcycle. If he were to get into an accident, I doubt the cycle would be on the trailer and I doubt that the average police will be able to state on the accident report that the vehicle was exceeding the towing recommendations (1000 lbs) set by the factory.LOL

DDaddy has answered the question and there is no reason a 5.7L Hemi with the 215mm rear and NAG1 transmittion could not tow 1500 lbs safely.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
90% of the time, engine cooling is an issue with trailer towing.

I don't know it for a fact, but I suspect the tongue weight limitation on 1st gen was due to the cantilever design of the vertical hitch.

The other 10% is braking. There are braking standards that have to be met. They are pretty lenient, but if the system is at the limit, then adding more weight won't help.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts

I towed this set up from WV to MD, about 300 miles. Car never even knew it was there. I try to keep it under 3K, that trailer max loaded comes in a little over 2K. Did tow a Civic hatch about 30 miles using a tow dolly. Knew it was back there, but never worried about being able to control it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts