Charger Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Hmmm... otherwise you'd NOT wear pants... I'm conservative, whatever the weather, I'm not riding around in my 'wares..lol
That would be seriously rough on a below zero day with leather!!:biggrinjester:

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
To sum it all up winter sucks ba%%s!!:biggrinjester:
Try to get the underneath of your car cleaned by going to the carwash once a week or so, the salt and calcium eats away at everything(brake lines, clips the floor pans, etc..)
Car wash is not the panacea either. They reuse the dirty salt enriched water now being sprayed under high pressure to get up under the car and being forced into even more areas. Plus you get the great benefit of those brushes scratching your paint, and if you use touchless, they use heavy duty chemicals in a poor attempt to break the dirt bond to your car. Best idea, move south for the winter :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for the alcohol tip!

First mistake, that frost on the windshield adds micro cuts to the wipers.

Make sure you and only you put in washer fluid, and go with washer fluid rated much lower then temperatures you are likely to encounter. My suggestion about adding rubbing alcohol will lower the freezing temperature of the fluid.
Thanks for that alcohol tip. Yet another way alcohol makes life better! O'Reilly's auto guy here confirmed that the 8 oz $3.00 bottles of "window washer booster" are just isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). Bought 64 oz of the 91% variety at Walgreens for about $5.00. Three of our vehicles had the basic -20F window washer fluid in them, that for some reason was freezing up at between 0 and +20F. Added various amounts (more than a few tablespoons) of the rubbing alcohol to all three vehicles, the weather warmed for a day to get all of them pumping again and the reservoirs thoroughly mixed, and haven't had a problem since even though it has reached -15F. Make sure if you buy the rubbing alcohol it has no glycerin in it to prevent leaving a film on your windows. Ingredients should be clearly written on the bottle. The Walgreens stuff appears to be only alcohol and water and is leaving no film. Thanks again for saving me bucks and for possibly saving my washer pumps. Wish the Charger had a "wash only" function without activating the wipers. Have to try to make sure the wipers are free and ice off the windshield before hitting the wash!:beerchug:

·
Registered
207 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, the alcohol will strip your wax job just like the dishwashing soap.
Using a quick detailer or spray wax after washing can help prolong the good wax job a bit longer.

I know, I know, sometimes winter driving makes us shift our priorities a bit.
Just sayin'...

·
Registered
20 Posts
haha:lol: i've waited my whole life for a c.f. sticky and i've never earned one. Got about 50 of em on the neon forums and none here :sad:
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! i live in Los Angeles so snow is not that big of a deal, but i DO like riadtrips to the snow.
have any tips regarding the salt on the roads? my 07 is from missouri and two of the valves had to be drilled because of the rust, when i got nails in the tires. i figured it was because of the salt?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! i live in Los Angeles so snow is not that big of a deal, but i DO like riadtrips to the snow.
have any tips regarding the salt on the roads? my 07 is from missouri and two of the valves had to be drilled because of the rust, when i got nails in the tires. i figured it was because of the salt?

If your valve stems were rusty it was because the previous owner use air from an air compressor that had water in it, or never put valve stem caps on them. As for tips regarding salt on the road, wash the car afterwards.

·
Registered
8,621 Posts
Here's another No-No...

Don't set a gas heater in front of your car and leave... :notallthere:
------------------------------------------------------------
BERLIN (Reuters) – A 76-year-old German man trying to thaw out his car incinerated it instead when he decided to speed things up by putting a blow heater under the hood.

"He burned the vehicle out completely," said a spokesman for police in the western city of Hildesheim. Police said the man left the heater on next to the frozen windshield washer tank and returned indoors. Shortly afterwards he heard two explosions and returned to find the car ablaze.

He alerted fire services, who arrived in time to prevent the flames from destroying his house. Including charring of the building, total damages were estimated at 40,000 euros ($56,240).

:clap:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Dangit... I gotta start reading these things more thoroughly before going out and trying tips like this on my car... I read the suggestion the other day about adding some alcohol to the washer fluid... worked great! then I came back and reread the post and they said RUBBING alcohol!!! Man I wasted a whole fifth of tequila by not reading it right the first time!!!:rolleyes::dunno:

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you add up all the cost for all those winter screw-ups...it would just about buy you a descent winter beater...with which then you can turn on the wipers with ice on the windows and yank hard as hell on the door handles...who cares??? Its a BEATER!!! I would like to believe that a lot, or most of the nice CHARGERS on this site, and parked in a nice dry garage for the winter. If not, then by all means follow the info provided in that post!!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
A preemptive squirt of graphic lubricant (Lock-Ease in a spray can, at your local hardware store) in your door / trunk locks will help prevent the locks from freezing. Especially since, at least on my '06, there is only an entrance lock on the driver's side. It's way better than "wet" lubricants, and doesn't not freeze at all.

Sure, I use the keyless entry exclusively, but would hate to find out too late the physical lock has stuck.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
And here is the real solution - get a Jeep for the winter. My Jeep with nearly bald tires was almost like a snowmobile last winter. No worries in any way.
Got new Falken Rocky Mountain ATS tires 2 weeks ago.
It's a true snowmobile now!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Soooo, any tips on preventing the windows from freezing shut? I'd been leaving my drivers side window cracked open just about a 1/4in so I could help it along when frozen. Often times my window freezes at the top anyway so one click and it breaks free. But up here in the Frozen Tundra, its just that...a frozen tundra. Somebody asked why anybody would want to roll windows down when its that cold...there are smokers, and there are people like me who like to get coffee on the way to work. I also have a thing for fresh air so regardless of the outside temp I always have my window open just a fraction.

I've decided I want a new Power Wagon for my winter vehicle...who is gonna give me one? LOL I love the classic Power Wagon so this makes me really excited :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
"Wipers are for moving water, they are not ice scrapers" Yup. I get some water first from the shower and use that to melt the ice on my window. Before, when I was too confident that my wiper won't break, I used that to remove the ice but after few times of doing this, it broke:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok. i have to do this. Every year i do the same winter repairs over and over again to the unsuspecting customer that thinks their stupidity should be covered under warranty.
The info provided is in hopes you guys will not do the things and find yourself paying out of pocket for something and hopefully save you some money.

a/ Wipers are for moving water, they are not ice scrapers
Every night that might freeze you need to start off by making damn sure your wipers are off when you shut your car off. If you turn the ignition on the next day and the wipers are still on they will try to move and if they are frozen or iced over you will bust your wiper linkage. This is a very common winter repair. People come in and the wipers only move by hand. The linkage busts because wipers get stuck on ice and the motor just does its job and continues to move even if the wipers stop.
avg price $200

b/ Your frozen doors. If its frozen, stop. Quit being the goof that pulls and yanks at the handle. The handle is attached to a very small rod and thats it. the person that pulls on the door handle til the door opens is the person that buys a new exterior door handle. You need to pull up on the handle and then find the lower portion of the door and try to get your fingers in there and pull on the door, not the handle. If it is too rough, quit. Climb in another door.
Avg price $200 non painted, painted $300

c/ Exterior lenses need to be ice free. First off its the law. Secondly bulbs give off heat. That heat must disperse somehow. The lens's are designed to allow this to happen however with snow and ice it causes a sort of sauna inside the lens. Bulbs will go out more frequently, lens's will melt, and even harness's can melt a bit.
avg price $10 bulb, $200 lens, $50 or so for connector/harness

d/ Scraping noises while turning and highly imbalanced wheels out of nowhere.
Remember .50 oz can be felt on most cars of imbalance. Too many people come in in the winter time and wonder why all of a sudden they're wheels vibrate. It might have something to do with the 20 lb's of snow and ice inside the wheel and all the packed ice inside the tread. If the wheel isnt clean and free of debri it will be out of balance. Gravel dust, ice, snow, even rocks in the tread will cause the balance of the wheel to be off.
Scraping noise is normally caused by ice accumulating on the wheel well and people ignoring it. Then the tire scrapes the ice. Not only is this loud, and damaging to the tire, it can stop the wheel from turning if there is enough ice there and making a turn at high speeds and ice stopping you, is a bad thing.
wheel balance $50

e/ windows
If there is even a small hint that your window is frozen, dont use it. If you hit that button and the window doesnt move stop. More than any repair i do in the winter is window regulators. The regulator will snap and bust in a heartbeat. 2 things can happen here. Either the cable will snap, or the clamps that hold the window will break free and your window will drop to the bottom of the door (sometimes breaking).
avg price regulator $200, window can be up to $400

f/ keep ice off your brakes
First off the rotors are extremely hot. Too hot to touch for about 15 min after use. It doesnt need one patch of ice on it. This is a major cause of warpage. This is like squirting your overheating engine with cold water.
Secondly the pads are a friction material. The brakes operate by applying to the rotor and the friction stops the car. Can you walk up a water slide? What makes you think the brakes can do their job effectively with a sheet of water between the pad and rotor?
Rotor warpage roughly $300 if not resurfacable

g/ This ones not so bad. If its below freezing dont use your washers. Yes rain x and prestone make some deicer stuff thats pretty good but most blue washer fluid is primarily water. There is a small pump in the resevoir and it will ice over. If you attempt to hit the pump with ice in the resevoir you normally will damage the pump. Sometimes you can wait til a thaw and it'll work again but most times you'll damage it. I frequently have to pull pumps out and run hot water through resevoirs to deice them for customers. This can take an hour to remove the pump and flush the system and we cant charge the customer for something like that so its basically just me being nice (however that takes me off of paying work)
pump under 100 installed for sure

Hopefully this will help you guys out a bit. None of the above problems are covered under warranty. Wipers are not ice scrapers, the tire balance is balanced on the machine without snow not with and on and on.

Everyone will pretend like they dont do the stuff but probably 6 out of 8 hours a day in the winter time i'm working on these above issues.
Good luck gang and quit wasting money :bigthumb:
Be carefull and save money, think.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Glad to bring a 12 yr old post back to life.....

41 - 60 of 63 Posts