Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Dodge charger with 2.7L engine and today I noticed a gasoline smell inside the car
A couple of days ago when I drove it I had no problem
I opened the hood and I was hearing a hissing sound coming from the injector area on the driver side so I figured that is where the smell was coming from The leak is not visible so I am not sure from which injector it's coming from The car starts and runs fine it's just a little gasoline odor inside the car coming from the vents

I replaced all injectors this past summer so they are not the original injectors
I read somewhere that injectors can crack Did anyone have this kind of problem ?
The weather is not that cold today maybe 50 degrees so it's not like there was a big temperature change
I am looking to get some kind of dye to pinpoint exactly where it is leaking from
Does anyone ever use such product ?
There are all kinds of dyes I just don't want to buy the wrong one

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Any of the dyes that are formulated for use with gasoline should be OK to use.
They are UV fluorescent dyes so you will need a ultraviolet (blue light. black light) to detect the dye.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
A lot of the dyes are more of the universal types that says it "detects leaks in oil based automotive systems" and than lists all the oils engine,transmission , power steering and also fuel system
The fuel is not an oil so I am a bit confused by that
I am sure you can add some oil to the fuel and not see any problems in a carburetor system but
I am not sure if it has any negative effect on the injectors (clogging, deposits that kind of thing)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Just be sure to use a dye formulated for use with oil based fluids ... Not water based dyes (coolant) or refrigerant dye (air conditioning). You don't use enough of the dye for it to affect the fuel injectors. Typically a single use bottle only contains about 1-ounce of dye.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for confirming
I ordered this one Tracerline TP3400 Fluorescent Dye
Hopefully it will show where it is leaking

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I got the dye and uv light today and tried it out It looks like it's the injector for Cyl #6 I see something way at the bottom close to the intake manifold It seems to be coming out from the side and hitting the intake manifold It's probably just a pinhole so as it hits the warm intake manifold it evaporates so that is why I did not see any fuel puddles It also stops after the fuel pressure drops because of the leak
I contacted the seller to see if it's covered by their lifetime warranty before buying another injector

1 - 6 of 6 Posts