Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I must say that I love it. The exhaust drone is next to nothing when cruising. The only time the drone gets in your head is when you're taking off and it's running through the gears but once you get to highway speed (even before that) it quiets right down. My wimpy girlfriend rode with me (she was watching me install it last night at 10pm) and she said she loves it and it sounds sweet.. if SHE can 'take' the noise, anybody can.

Cons:
1. SLP shorted me one of those exhaust clamps (had to use a U-bolt for now until I can call them and complain)
2. the passenger side hangs a couple inches lower than the drivers side, which can be fixed with a little bailing wire around the rear-most exhaust hanger that is now unused.

I will try to post a video soon.

For those thinking of doing this install, it took me 2 hours (including cool time, I just used gloves when it was still hot). Getting the OEM exhaust hangers out of the rubber grommet thingies was a pain in the rear. I had to use a huge (18" long) pair of pliers to put one tooth on the metal hanger from the exhaust, and one tooth behind the rubber and squeeze to force it off. I could wiggle it off the rest of the way by hand and brute force.

The rest is very easy and straight forward. I did have to remove that support bar that's near the front of the exhaust, and the exhaust does take a little coaxing to get seperated from the catalytic converter downtubes.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
comgrats and welcome to the forums...or should i say the jungle...:grin: slp is the chit...im just waiting for them to put out a cam and head package for the 5.7

·
Registered
379 Posts
i just installed mine the other day i absolutely love it! it only took me about 30 - 45 minutes but i had a lift and a helping hand...im with magnesium if SLP makes a head/cam package im all in i love their products

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How important is that support brace that's just behind the end of the cat converter downtubes? After installing my SLP Loudmouth, that has caused a nerve-racking rattling noise. I took the brace off and you can see where it was being worn down into the bare metal. I put a bead of high-temp silicone on the bare spots and let it dry. I put it back together and the rattling was gone, but a vibration still existed.

I removed the bar completely and it all disappeared. Just how important is this support brace? I'm wondering if I can just leave it off. I would believe so since the exhaust uses the OEM rubber hangers.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i took it off also i dont believe it serves that much of a purpose havent felt and difference with it off so no worries

·
Registered
21 Posts
My installer put 3 stainless steel washers between the bracket and the car body.. I think the bracket is there for a reason I would put it back on.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Did you get the LoudMouth or the LoudMouth II? I am trying to figure out what the difference in the two is.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the Loudmouth.. the loudmouth II is just quieter and compared to the differences in the videos online, and how my loudmouth sounds, the loudmouth 2 would be a very very mild rumble during a rev.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i never thought about the washers i got plenty of those at my shop lol ill throw it back on there next time i have chance cant leave parts off such a amazing car

·
Registered
107 Posts
As far as I can see that bracket is to serve as a catch bracket...God for bid something gets underneath the headpipe and something breaks loose that bracket will hold the rest of the exhaust from ripping out of the car. My installer put a few washers under it also, but the hext day the rattle was back. I took it off and will just drive carefully making sure I don't hit anything in the road. Keepin' my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I installed the LM II system in about 90 minutes several months ago (with the help of my 12 y/o son) on jack stands in the driveway. Before installing the X pipe, I closely examined it and noticed that by flipping it "upside down", it appeared to tuck the piping up closer to the underside when flipped a certain way. It looked like at least a 1/2" - 3/4" difference, and I flipped it to give max clearance, as I had heard some folks were having clearabce issues with the cross bar.

Even though it looked like it might clear this way, I also added a couple stainless washers to the cross bar bolts for an added 3/8". I've had no issues.

Also, rather than struggling to seperate the rubber hangers under the car, just unbolt the bolts holding them to the under carriage and drop the whole system. Sperate the rubber isolators with large pliers once on the ground, transfer to the new pipes, and re-bolt to underside.

The hardest part for me was not so much breaking the "bond" to the head pipes, but finding enough rearward clearance to pull the pipes far enough backwards without scraping the rear valance trim, otherwise I'd have been done in 1/2 the time.

GREAT sound and performance though!

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Since I finally got photobucket to work... here are SLP LM II's, i love them!

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't trade my Loudmouth I for the world.. ok well maybe I would..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did have to remove that support bar that's near the front of the exhaust, and the exhaust does take a little coaxing to get seperated from the catalytic converter downtubes.
when my flowmaster heats up, it causes the pipe to hit the support bar... and it creats a bit of a rattle... Is this support bar necessary??

·
Registered
7 Posts
does anyone know if the support bar is necessary? If it is, coould I add some padding (non flammable) and some tape (again non flam) to the support to eliminate the vibration.>>???

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
does anyone know if the support bar is necessary? If it is, coould I add some padding (non flammable) and some tape (again non flam) to the support to eliminate the vibration.>>???
Some have removed it but most just shim it. That's what I did.

Rex

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.