Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Just had SLP LM2 installed on my RT.. Great quality,great sound at idle and startup and accelarating you can feel the car breathing easier all the way to redline.... BUT.... i cant take the drone at 1800 to 2000 rpm (around 65mph) its vibrates my eardrums! Its not so much that its loud but its the frequency.. Somebody tell me there is something I can do to tone it down a bit ! Is there a low restriction muffler I can have installed? Will this thing get a little better in time?? You either have to drive at 60mph or 70 mph not in between..
Some advice please!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Some members have stated that the drone dissapates with time. You got to let it break in first. After a few hundred miles it may tone down.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Did you put spacers between the pipes and the crossmember that runs amidships? My mechanic and I put a couple of Alignment Shims in there, improved things by 100%....

·
Registered
616 Posts
the drone does improve over time and yes spacers are almost always needed so you dont get the vibration feel and rattling sound.

·
Registered
417 Posts
the drone does improve over time and yes spacers are almost always needed so you dont get the vibration feel and rattling sound.
I just removed the crossmember instead.

My experience has been that the drone doesn't get any better with time. I've dynamatted the trunk and rear compartment and moved the tips as far back as I could. And I already have a CAI (which has been reported to reduce drone). Nothing has produced a significant improvement in the drone.

My next attempt will be installing glasspacks. A member on here has done this and claims that it works. The main problem is that he had to get different tips and it does reduce the sound.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the reply.. going to try removing the crossmember.. if it makes a difference I will put it back with a spacer ... Will let you guys know if it works

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I had the same concerns at first with my LM1 but things got better over time,plus I had the cross member shimed. Now it's just music to my ears.

Rex

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
you could try covering the whole trunk with dynamat. u put 2-5 layers inside the trunk along the bottom and it should cut down on the sound level inside the cabin. it'll be like the difference of driving around with you back seats up and down.

·
Registered
417 Posts
you could try covering the whole trunk with dynamat. u put 2-5 layers inside the trunk along the bottom and it should cut down on the sound level inside the cabin. it'll be like the difference of driving around with you back seats up and down.
Maybe you didn't read my post. I already did that. It makes no significant difference. I used a layer of 50 mil and a layer of 90 mil. It's a waste of time.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So i checked my crossmember and It looks like my installer did a really good job.. he had already shimmed the crossmember.. 4 stainless steel washers were inserted.. at least 1 1/2 inches room between crossmember and the exhaust.. Put about 500 miles on my LM2 since install .. maybe a little less drone plus I'm learning how to drive it to avoid the drone.. Thinking of putting a Zoomers Cannon resonator tip on the ends.. they say it kills the drone. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
So i checked my crossmember and It looks like my installer did a really good job.. he had already shimmed the crossmember.. 4 stainless steel washers were inserted.. at least 1 1/2 inches room between crossmember and the exhaust.. Put about 500 miles on my LM2 since install .. maybe a little less drone plus I'm learning how to drive it to avoid the drone.. Thinking of putting a Zoomers Cannon resonator tip on the ends.. they say it kills the drone. Any thoughts?
I have not heard Zoomers but I hear they are a good choice. Pricey:knockout:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm bummed, I can't install an SLP exhaust w/o negating my warranty. The Dodge dealership says I have to go with a Borla exhaust....but it also costs almost $1000 bucks!

I'm going to wait until my car is out of warranty to put the exhaust in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts