Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month I bought a 2014 R/T Max and it was too quiet for my taste so I bought the SLP LM1 as I thought it was one of the better sounding exhausts made for the Charger from what I heard on youtube clips. I bought one and had it installed a couple weeks ago. I love the sound of it except for at times when it goes into MDS, but I'll get used to it or just shift it over so it disengages the MDS.
Anyways, I have noticed a rattle which I guess is very common with the Loud Mouth exhausts with it rubbing against the support bar (my mechanic mentioned this might happen when he installed it). He said he could heat it up with a blowtorch and hammer it, but I really don't want to do that. I was thinking about getting a bolt and nut to extend the support bar down lower to prevent it from rubbing, but I don't know what size thread the bolts are. Does anyone know the size of the thread? If any of you have had this issue before, I am interested to hear what you did to fix the rattle. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
You can install the support bar with a few washers between the body and bar providing an extra 1/4" of clearance pretty easy to stop that. I've read some just remove the bar as they feel its not overly necessary.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
There is no noticeable difference with the cross brace off at all.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Are you saying it still rattles with the cross brace off?
No, he's saying there's no issues in removing that cross brace the exhaust pipes are rattling on. You have 2 choices, either remove it all together or shim it lower. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Correct, these cars are very rigid. It might make a little difference at 150+mph but not very many people ever go that fast.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ive had my cross brace off for a while now after installing my catless mids. Nothing different that I can tell. Except for the excessive rattling thats gone!

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Best thing to do here is loosen up the exhaust.....shim the pipes up over the cross brace so you have 1 1/2" of clearance above the brace....tighten the system up remove the shims and you should have a good inch of clearance...no more rattes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts