Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed both the resonator's and the suitcase muffler to replace the muffler with LM1 resonators. I do a lot of highway driving and the drone from the MDS is unbearable. I heard the corsa xtreme exhaust gets rid of the MDS drone but I don't have the money to do that right now. Is there anything I can do to my current set up to get a similar effect as the corsa (No/little MDS drone cruising and loud at WOT)? I thought about putting some new resonators back where the old ones were but am not sure. What about a muffler instead of a resonator? Whats the difference? Sorry if this is posted somewhere else but the MDS is a huge search term for this forum.

P.S. I had the Flowmaster 40's and they were AWFUL with the MDS drone. Believe it or not the LM1's helped out the drone enough for my mother to say she could drive it now.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
The problem lies with 1 set of mufflers. If you add mufflers where your old resonators were, that should knock down the drone quite abit.

Good luck. I had LM2 for about 15 minutes and took it straight back off after the test drive. Like you, the MDS was horrible when cruising.

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To ease up confusion....
1. Will the new resonators or mufflers get rid of the drone if placed where the old resonators were?

2. Which will do the better job of getting rid of the drone?

3. If they both do the same thing which one will be louder.

4. What will be the best brand?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I realize I have no mufflers but are the resonators from slp true resonators or just larger diameter piping. I'm just afraid if I switched them it will still have drone

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Best solution for no MDS drone is to disable the MDS via Predator or inTune if you have one.

I did this on my LM2; when the MDS kicked in it was unbearable so I turned it off.

Since my regular commute has no traffic and we use the Durango for road trips, taking a hit 1.5 mpg hit during my daily driving was no big deal.

YMMV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to keep the mds, I travel on the highway for 15 miles each way. Also when we go to our parents house once a month it's 150 miles each way. I thought of that option but didn't want to lose the mpg.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
When I got the LM2, It had just the resonators. Yes, sticking a second set on, it would have dramatically helped.

·
Registered
592 Posts
What u need is to buy actual slp mufflers and put ur current reso's(SLP) in the stock reso location......The SLP reso's r not really reso's, u can see straight through them and they have no packing or insulation in them...Well the ones i have dont anyway...But if u put mufflers on u will calm down the drone a lot...BTW what year is ur car and v8 or v6?

http://www.slponline.com/view_product_site.asp?P=D31001

·
Registered
70 Posts
geesh....you guys are scaring me about this drone with SLP1. i can deal with drone but it sounds like you guys are saying this is like crazy ridiculous drone....mine should be here later this week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess that confirms that the lm1 resonator is just a larger pipe. Wouldn't the lm2 muffler added where the suitcase was just make it essentially a lm2 system. And don't people already complain about the drone with that system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It can be managed with proper throttle techniques lol. Also I live in Louisiana so it's real flat which also helps. I use to live in Mississippi and the drone was real bad there (hills).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I was going to out it in the original but I thought the r/t was the only one with mds. But if isn't then I have an 08 r/t

·
Registered
592 Posts
The drone is not that bad....everyone blows it out of proportion....but if u want to quiet it down....throw mufflers on it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would true resonators quiet it down more than mufflers? I pretty much want it quiet during cruising and normal driving but heavier acceleration and WOT I want it loud but not obnoxious.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Would true resonators quiet it down more than mufflers? I pretty much want it quiet during cruising and normal driving but heavier acceleration and WOT I want it loud but not obnoxious.

If thats what u want...I think magnaflow would be ur best bet....Somin like this, but u can buy the mufflers urself and have them welded in

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=all&id=2932

I would buy theses mufflers:http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=10163

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As a preface, do you have an R/T or SRT? If SRT, to my knowledge the SRT does not have MDS and the drone from the V8 sound is totally tolerable and I would not change my exhaust if I did not have MDS. But the drone from the MDS is the entire reason for this thread. My concern is only to quiet down the awful sound of the change in tone. I understand I can not target the sound directly so I have to quiet down the system in an entirety.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it were me, I'd leave the SLP reso's where they are and put the factory resonators back on and see if it sounds like what you want.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts