Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My Charger has the Nav radio with Sound Group II and Sirius. This is my first experience with satellite radio, and unfortunately, I'm underwhelmed by the sound quality.

I've read in other groups that satellite sound quality is "approximately as good as good fm," but to me the FM in this stereo generally sounds way better than the Sirius.

The low end on the Sirius isn't too bad, but there isn't a lot of punch, and the high end usually sounds weak with quite a bit of metallic artifacting (like the sampling rate is too low). The EQ can mask the artificating to a degree, but then the overall sound quality is pretty lifeless.

I'm happy with the rest of the system. For example, MP3s ripped at 160K sound excellent in comparison. Am I just expecting too much from the satellite?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Your not the only one, I feel the same way about the Sirius output in my car. I did own a GM vehicle with "XM" and the sound was great! But, the Sirius sound is just ok. FM and my cd's sound great. I thought I was the only one, let me know if you hear about any fixes for this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
the fix is get xm

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I currently have XM and am very happy with it... however for 135 bucks for the sirius tuner from the factory including 1 year of service... I will use xm for a year, and when my contract expiress I will go back to XM should I still feel the want to do so....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree - the Sirius sound quality is not of the same quality as FM or CD.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
by the time my subscription with sirius is up... hopefully the xm direct connect kit will be out... and the sirius antenna will plug into an xm reciever... :)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I think it sounds great. My sirius is the only thing I listen to anymore. Love Alt nation channel 21. Never had XM in a vehicle so I can not compare. As far as sound quality I guess my thought is if you can here it, it is loud enough.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Gonzo18 said:
#23 Hair Nation :rockon:
Hey Gonzo18, hows does the mullet fair with the windows down? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
ANTMAG06 said:
I think it sounds great. My sirius is the only thing I listen to anymore. Love Alt nation channel 21. Never had XM in a vehicle so I can not compare. As far as sound quality I guess my thought is if you can here it, it is loud enough.
I'm with you, it sounds great, as long as you don't drive under a big tree :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
DirtyOM said:
I'm with you, it sounds great, as long as you don't drive under a big tree :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your going to get that with any sirius or XM. In eastern NC we do not have to many bridges. The only time it goes out on me when I go threw the gate to get on base. They just put up this big awning and it is the only time I am going slow enough for the antenna to be blocked.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I get that "tinny" sound sometimes also, then there are times when I'm on channel 8, and they play an INXS tune and I crank it, and all is well.
Just tried out the MP3 function and I was impressed with the sound quality, I had recorded all the tracks at 160 and the playback was great. Also thought
the features on the screen were nice, playlist etc...

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have 2 sirius receivers and i love them. i would never go to XM even if it wasnt as good quality wise than XM cause XM doesnt have NFL, college football, or NBA. i can live w/o baseball on my radio.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Iguana said:
I have 2 sirius receivers and i love them. i would never go to XM even if it wasnt as good quality wise than XM cause XM doesnt have NFL, college football, or NBA. i can live w/o baseball on my radio.
Which one has NASCAR? I want football and NASCAR. Also, does one, or both, have a portable system?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Delphi makes a portable XM system called the MyFi.

The unit can be used as a portable walkman type radio, and can also be used in cars and in the home. Both car and home kits (kits consists of cradle, antenna, and power adapters) come packed with the radio. MSRP is around $299, but you can get them for around $50 less if you look around.

·
Registered
369 Posts
It doesn't sound so great to me either. There is no umph to it.CD's sound great though!

·
Registered
197 Posts
XM radio carries NASCAR.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts