Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One month after purchasing my R/T R&T, I am finally (I hope) getting my Sirius radio fixed. The Sirius receiver has never worked at all. All it ever displayed was "No Signal". The first few days was spent with sales people trying to activate my radio about 50 times. All this time I am saying "it is not even getting the demo channel. Looks like a hardware problem to me". Sales guys "talk" to service and they say "never seen that. we don't know". So, by this point I am thinking this is your product. You NEED to know or need to know how to find out!

Anyway, I reluctantly give up my car for a day (got to drive a Pacifica whee!) and after they tear my whole nav unit out of the dash, they determine I need a new radio. Having read forum threads here, I am thinking they have to replace the sat unit in the trunk. The service manager says; "We have to replace the whole head unit" ?? So, they order that and it has come in, or so I am told. When I dropped the car off this morning, the service manager says "We talked to someone experienced with these things and they said we need to replace the sat radio unit".?? WT#?

So, what part exactly did they order? Who knows! My baby sits in the shop with a fresh coat of wax and after reading the threads about service here, I am nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs!! I have already developed an aversion to this service department. This is a five star dealer. Are these folks not trained? how can that be in this day?

·
Registered
487 Posts
One month after purchasing my R/T R&T, I am finally (I hope) getting my Sirius radio fixed. The Sirius receiver has never worked at all. All it ever displayed was "No Signal". The first few days was spent with sales people trying to activate my radio about 50 times. All this time I am saying "it is not even getting the demo channel. Looks like a hardware problem to me". Sales guys "talk" to service and they say "never seen that. we don't know". So, by this point I am thinking this is your product. You NEED to know or need to know how to find out!

Anyway, I reluctantly give up my car for a day (got to drive a Pacifica whee!) and after they tear my whole nav unit out of the dash, they determine I need a new radio. Having read forum threads here, I am thinking they have to replace the sat unit in the trunk. The service manager says; "We have to replace the whole head unit" ?? So, they order that and it has come in, or so I am told. When I dropped the car off this morning, the service manager says "We talked to someone experienced with these things and they said we need to replace the sat radio unit".?? WT#?

So, what part exactly did they order? Who knows! My baby sits in the shop with a fresh coat of wax and after reading the threads about service here, I am nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs!! I have already developed an aversion to this service department. This is a five star dealer. Are these folks not trained? how can that be in this day?
Two things: First, it would have been a simple thing to hook up a different satellite receiver and antenna (the receiver is actually in the trunk, and the antenna on the top of the roof). Second, once they eliminated those two, they should have checked the Radio itself. Again, simple to grab an external unit and swap it.

Is/was your navigation working?

Satellite radio can be tricky, if you dont have the correct hardware programmed to receive the correct signal, or the hardware was faulty, then the radio would display "No Signal" - just as you stated.

Sounds like to me they are wanting to order BOTH parts - and see which one works. You shouldnt see any charges as it's under warranty, but I would personally want to know what exactly they are doing.

Sounds like to me they are "shot-gunning" the problem.

In defense - at least they ordered all the correct parts - and it isnt too difficult to determine which part is not working. You have to remember these are service techs - I doubt they were trained in Microwave Reception Theory or Satellite Technology.

All they know is that Tab A goes into Slot B.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry to hear about the sat not working. I had the same problem. Sirius didn't work from the day I bought the car. My beef was shouldn't they have known that when they checked over the car before I picked it up? Oh well, Luckily with mine the receiver was bad and it only took them a day to order the part and then an hour to replace it.

One thing is did you ever get your radio to accept the satelite signal from Sirius? I think that's were to start, because if you can't receive the signal how do they know the rest of the components work or not.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I have never had Sirius, so when I got the car, I just thought no signal was because I had not setup the service. I did ask about it when the salesman was going over the features. Once I realized that I should at least get the demo chan, I was convinced that I some kind of problem. The frustrating thing was having two different sales guys keep trying to activate the radio in the assumption that I didn't do this myself!

The nav unit and everything else on the car works fine and I have been very pleased with it. I'm just frustrated with the approach service has taken so far. I do not expect them to be microwave com experts, but a logical troubleshooting approach like shonkwid described is expected. I work in IT and though I can't design or build many of the computer systems I work on, I can troubleshoot them based on my knowledge of how they should interact.

Almost 2PM here, and I still have no word from the dealer. I did ask to have my Sirius subscription reset since I have had no benefit from the unit this first month. Since I have already setup the Sirius account online, that is probably going to be more trouble than it is worth.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AAAAGGGGGHHH!! Just found out my radio STILL does not work, so they are going to put my car back together again and order the cable that runs from the head unit to the receiver. That means I get to lose my car for a third day! God, I just hope they get my stuff back together right.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, problem found. During build the coax cable that runs from the antenna to the receiver was pinched by a screw. They have ordered a new cable, but the tech was able to get the current one working and the radio now works w00t!

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Sirius "free" service was activated prior to me buying my car. The actual year runs out this month, though I've only had my car for a couple of months. So far, my dealer GM says he's had no luck with Chrysler getting this taken care of. Sirius tells me the dealer has to correct it, then I can reactivate it for my "free" year. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
A year free? My salesman played up the satellite radio but never once mentioned me having to pay for it. I guess I assumed they had worked the life time amount into the car payment. Now I'm thinking I need to look into this. Crap.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
My Sirius "free" service was activated prior to me buying my car. The actual year runs out this month, though I've only had my car for a couple of months. So far, my dealer GM says he's had no luck with Chrysler getting this taken care of. Sirius tells me the dealer has to correct it, then I can reactivate it for my "free" year. Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Did you buy this car used?

And yeah, one year free only.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm glad to hear you got your stuff back and running man,...nice. Just to add, I love Sirius. I bought it about 2 years ago and paid for the "lifetime" subscription. One of the best decisions i've made. No commercials, some talk here and there but not too much and an endless flow of music of any kind you want.

On my Charger the service came free for a year, but that wasn't a perk for me as I have it free the rest of my life (or as long as they are in business) but M.K. seems to be doing a damn good job so they should be around a long time to come. I also drove across country with Sirius and only one place did I lose signal and that was temporarily in Colorado up thousands of feet altitude on a mountain and in the middle of a blizzard. Wasn't too fun but even then it worked for the most part. Under tunnels for a few seconds it will lose signal but other then that, it's "serious" ....lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you buy this car used?

And yeah, one year free only.
No Crow, I bought it brand new. My dealer says that the Dodge line is activating them as they're built (why?) that it wasn't done by the dealership. Now, we're not talking about much money here, but it's the point of it. And, I'm sure my "free" year of Sirius was worked into the sticker of the car.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Im a fan of XM but thats the only service I have used. I decided based on a single comedy show ( LEX AND TERRY ) being on XM. I only pay like 20 bucks for three recievers. I guess it wont make much diff since the two are merging. Anyone know if the 08's have the sat tv like grand caravan?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have had Sirius for 2 + years now and love it. I did have a problem when the day I picked up my Charger SRT. We activated it and all was done. I was driving home and parked the car. I get back in it and turn on Sirius and had just the Demo channel. So I call them up and told them about it. They told me to do a couple of things and they will resend the signal. Well they had given wrong directions when they resent the signal. That wiped out the Demo channel. No Sirius reception at all. They tell me it it my unit. I told them it wasn't because if that was the case I wouldn't have had full service, I wouldn't have had the Demo channel and when they resent the signal it wouldn't have knocked me off all together. I had to argue my case for over 30 minutes with two people then I convinced them to try it again. They did and boom Siruis with no problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.