Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about a bunch of members changing their headlights to silverstars. I also saw some did it with their fog lights, my question is why. I just spent $40 on silverstar fog light replacements, installed them in the 90 degree heat and I can't tell a difference. Is there one at night?? I went with one stock and one new one just to see and I couldn't tell which was which. Did I just waste my money???

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't even see that much of a change, I'll look again tonight and see, thanks.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Definitely a change at night, especially if you put two cars side-by-side, one with and one without. Great mod, glad I did it.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Yes, there is a difference between the stock bulbs and silverstars. It's mostly noticeable at night, definitely whiter. During the day the lights are going to look yellowish because the sun a is a lot brighter then your silverstars.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
because my wife's jeep fogs look white during the day and these looked brown. But it is raining now so I'll check tomorrow night. I could tell the difference during the day with my HIDs, lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
because my wife's jeep fogs look white during the day and these looked brown. But it is raining now so I'll check tomorrow night. I could tell the difference during the day with my HIDs, lol.
That might be why it's such a stark contrast to you and you are going WHY DID I JUST SPEND MONEY FOR THIS CRAP?!?!?! Against your HID's they are going to look like regular halogen lights. They are whiter than stock, but if you are HID spoiled... NO CONTEST!!! I got a pair one time after having some higher end bluish white PIAA's (before I stopped playing with standard bulbs and went and stayed HID)....I was like WHAT THE H3LL??? I was sooo irritated.
They were way more yellow than the PIAA's which were cheaper.
My eyes are so used to 10k or higher HID's anything halogen based looks yellow to me no matter how much "whiter" it may be.

My parents on the other hand..can't stand HID...gave them some silverstar's..they love them. It's like anything else...personal preference.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah I just noticed you have 8k Hid's which are pretty much true white.
Silverstar's aren't going to look different to you than stock...especially at night....but for kicks..you could try one on one side...stock on the other..then you could definately tell.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tried the one and one this morning while it was still dark, there is a little bit of a difference, but not $40 worth. I just won't go HID with my foggies because I want to be able to play off that it was stock like that and I can't pull off HID fogs. Thanks though, I got them now

·
Registered
60 Posts
tried the one and one this morning while it was still dark, there is a little bit of a difference, but not $40 worth. I just won't go HID with my foggies because I want to be able to play off that it was stock like that and I can't pull off HID fogs. Thanks though, I got them now
Yeah...from what I can tell people love them on this forum..but I agree with you...not $40 worth. :knockout:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a 4th gen camaro, and I believe that the bulb for the headlights are the same type/size as the ones for our Chargers. For the camaro I bought of xenon headlight bulbs, for $13/pair and they look whiiiite, maybe a hint of blueish but looks good. I might buy some for the Charger, just have to double check the part number ... (9005 or 9006)

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 4th gen camaro, and I believe that the bulb for the headlights are the same type/size as the ones for our Chargers. For the camaro I bought of xenon headlight bulbs, for $13/pair and they look whiiiite, maybe a hint of blueish but looks good. I might buy some for the Charger, just have to double check the part number ... (9005 or 9006)
I have HID's but I was asking about fog lights, thanks anyway.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
bulbs

do not put the high watt xenons in your charger-the stock bulbs are a 51 watt-and most of the cheap after market bulbs are either 65-85 and 100 watt bulb's. the only bulbs you can use are either a replacement 51 watt [silver star/piaa or hella] or you can use a true hid kit-reason being is they run cooler. the bcm and wiring on the lx cars [and most other cars now] can not handle the higher amprage and heat from those bulbs and in a short period of time damage will start to take place to the wiring to the head lights [melt down] IF YOU READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL CLOSELY it states not to do this-also the higher heat from them cheap a$$ bulbs will start to dry out and crack the clear lense on the head lights. one of your members were at my shop on sunday and has those cheap xenon bulbs in his srt 300 and his head lights are all spyder webed and cracked after runing those bulbs in his car for a month and a half and the chrome around the bulbs it self are turning brown and peeling badly-the dealer told him he'd up chit's creek with out a paddle after they looked at it and found out he put bargin bulbs in his car-the wiring is so burned to the bulbs that when i touched it-it turned to dust in my hand-MY 2 CENTS IS DONT PUT CHEAP CRAP IN YOUR CAR-save your money and buy real hid's-or go with the silver stars/they do make a big diff at clearing your line of site at night.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nothing cheap goes in my baby, lol. I have HID's as my headlights and was really just asking if the silver stars made any difference in my fog's. I see a little bit of a difference but we will see.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
I have HID fogs and headlights. Personally, I've gone the silverstar route and didn't like them. They have the best light output (without upgrading to HID) but have little to no "exotic" tint to them, if you want an exotic tint and are willing to lose a little bit of visibility, nokya makes a good "blue" bulb. However, all these are is coated bulbs that are brighter to make up for the loss of light output due to painting the bulb.

HID's were my final decision, I am glad I bought them.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that I'll stick with these, I wanted a very white look, and the brighter the better but I don't want HIDs so I can play dumb if I get pulled over and say, I thought it came stock like that, the 08 Chargers will help me plead that case, but no HID foggies.

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
I swapped out for silverstars up top, got mine off ebay and saved over half what it would have been from a store. Haven't done the fogs just because it's a PITA to do and I don't care right now. I and a buddy that had a GoManGo and now a 300 SRT8 both agree that silverstars look better, but you have to see them at night to appreciate them.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It took me 5 minutes to do, not hard at all, 2 phillips, 3 plastic fasteners and pull the liner back. It was a lot easier than I expected.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts