Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing RT Addiction's threads about this cam and seeing a few others that have the same cam, I am seriously deciding on purchasing this cam!!

The question I have is there anyone out there who has a bone stock R/T with just this cam on? If so, are you seeing a major difference in performance?

RT Addiction, if you read this, I know you can give somewhat of an insight to me, but I see that you also have Kook LT headers and a catback as well!!

Any advice would be nice fellas....and ladies!! Sitting in Iraq, I have nothing but time and a little money to spend on the R/T!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
I would not encourage anyone to do a cam swap on a bone stock RT unless you were going to do the 'other' mods soon after. You certainly would not see the potential of that cam swap on stock exhaust / intake. At a minimum, I think you'd need to do CAI, shortie headers, hi-flow cats and catback exhaust. A tuner isn't totally necessary w/ the Sidewinder cam but it does idle much better w/ an SC tuner and they're cheap now.

The SMART thing to do would be to do the headers and cam at the same time. If you pull the heads when you change the cam, the headers are a snap and you save yourself $400-$600 on a header install if you do the headers w/ the heads off the car. Doing the headers w/ the heads on is a total PITA. Oh - do locking header bolts too so you never have to worry about the header bolts backing out...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks RTaddiction...now to start searching on the above mentioned!!! Just a rough estimate, do you think CAI, shortie headers, hi-flow cats, catback exhaust, and the sidewinder would run over $5k in parts and labor if I got it done all at one time!!

Of course the CAI I can do myself I believe and the exhaust I would let an exhaust shop do which shouldn't be too much...but the shorties and cam would be the most I would assume??

Thanks for responding as well!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
thanks RTaddiction...now to start searching on the above mentioned!!! Just a rough estimate, do you think CAI, shortie headers, hi-flow cats, catback exhaust, and the sidewinder would run over $5k in parts and labor if I got it done all at one time!!

Of course the CAI I can do myself I believe and the exhaust I would let an exhaust shop do which shouldn't be too much...but the shorties and cam would be the most I would assume??

Thanks for responding as well!!
Here's a breakdown for you:

• LT Headers: Parts=$1100-1600, Install=$0 (do w/ cam install)
  • Locking Header Bolts: Parts=$50, Install=$0 (do w/ cam install)
  • CAI: Parts=$250, Install=$0
  • Cam, springs, rods: Parts=$550, Install=$600-$1200
  • Catback: Parts=$500-1100, Install=$175-$250
  • SC Tuner: Parts=$250 (used on forum), Install=$0

Total parts = 2700-3750
Total labor = 775 - 1450

Total = 3475-5200

So, yes this is VERY doable for $5K or less. If you do your headers separate from the cam swap, you'll have another $400-700 for the header install alone.

Thinking about the headers again, I think I'd strongly recommend LT headers. By the time you get shorty headers and mid pipes w/ high-flow cats, you're at the cost of LT's and IMO the LT's are where the best performance is at. Mopar, Kooks or Dynatech are all true equal length LT's and offer the best performance. Price range for LTs w/ high-flow cats are from $1000 - $1600 but if you shop well you can get Kooks or Dynatechs for the low end of that price range.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I would encourage you do do heads and cam at the same time. it will save you time and money
X2. If you're going to do heads, do 'em when you do the cam. For me, heads are at least a year away and I didn't want to wait that long to do the cam so I did it now.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok...you've lost me...the heads are the headers right??

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
no.
headers are the main outlets from your heads.
heads are what sit on top of your piston chambers.
they house the valves and lifters and spark plugs.
the headers bolt up to the exhaust valves on the heads

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol....dumb ass award goes to me!!! i can only imagine how much the cylinder heads cost!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't know anyone who has done a cam on a bone stock RT but I can tell you for a fact that you would see a major increase in performance. The cam can be installed by itself without pulling heads or exhaust and should still give a solid 20-25hp for less then 500.00 bucks if you can do the install yourself.

The Sidewinder will give you a huge boost in low end/midrange torque...regardless of your exhaust configuration. Top end would likely gain also but potentially be limited due to the factory manifolds/exhaust. No one has really documented this yet so you would be breaking some new ground here.

With that being said, the logical approach would be headers/exhaust first to prevent a mismatch between a high performance cam that is looking to flow freely on the top end and an exhaust that potentially would bottle up some of the gains.

IMHO you would likely see gains either way and a cam is by far one of the best power adders a 5.7 can add.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some pretty helpful folks giving some good advice. While stock heads work fine with the sidewinder, wouldnt hurt to get some better flowing heads to really work with that new cam. The money spent now will be worth it in the future for installation costs. That is if you want the horsepower advantages and are goin that route.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
out of curiousity...what are our options on heads??? i see that combo price from tybyrne for INDY heads with kooks headers for $3k!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some pretty helpful folks giving some good advice. While stock heads work fine with the sidewinder, wouldnt hurt to get some better flowing heads to really work with that new cam. The money spent now will be worth it in the future for installation costs. That is if you want the horsepower advantages and are goin that route.
well at first i was just impressed with RTaddictions vids and his other post about the sidewinder cam....but after he pretty much broke down the price scheme on everything, i might hop on that deal that tybyrne is offering for kook headers (assuming they come with catbacks as well) and the INDY heads and get the cam as well and knock it out all in one shot like you guys said!!

kooks/INDY combo = $3,000
Sidewinder cam and 6.1 springs/rods= $600
CAI = $250
Tuner (possible diablo) = $500

thats still roughly under $5,000 barely...just have to throw in labor and i'm "assuming" i would still be under $6,000 which wouldn't be too bad!!

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I paid less than $80 for 16 springs, 16 rods and the crank bolt. How do you figure $600 for these and the cam?
What are those rods, and crank bolt that you speak of? Would those be the pushrods...I think that i have my answer! Anyhoo, crank bolt...why is this needed?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
well at first i was just impressed with RTaddictions vids and his other post about the sidewinder cam....but after he pretty much broke down the price scheme on everything, i might hop on that deal that tybyrne is offering for kook headers (assuming they come with catbacks as well) and the INDY heads and get the cam as well and knock it out all in one shot like you guys said!!

kooks/INDY combo = $3,000
Sidewinder cam and 6.1 springs/rods= $600
CAI = $250
Tuner (possible diablo) = $500

thats still roughly under $5,000 barely...just have to throw in labor and i'm "assuming" i would still be under $6,000 which wouldn't be too bad!!

.... driving your charger with all those parts installed = priceless :smile:

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
What are those rods, and crank bolt that you speak of? Would those be the pushrods...I think that i have my answer! Anyhoo, crank bolt...why is this needed?

Thanks
Yes, 8 Intake and 8 Exhaust Pushrods.. They were about $10 total. The 16 6.1L Exhaust Springs were the expensive part at $65 and some change.

I've been told that the cam bolt can be reused, but that the crank bolt will need to be replaced. It cost $1.88 through MakeitMopar. I don't know if it gets stripped or what..

The part number is 6506 340AA

·
Registered
2 Posts
The crank bolt is a tourque to yield design and upon instalation it is stretched to an engineered point and is not reuseable after that.

Cant wait to start modding my wife's car!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts