Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was looking at my car, and noticed that my side moldings looked a little sick. I already spoke to the dealer and they are gonna re-apply a new painted set, so no worries there. The lady at the body shop has seen it happen before, there is no clear coat on the molding. Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Just get nackid already!! :)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
How can it be one more good reason, when I haven't heard one good reason yet?:smoke:

Well, fine, keep yours on. Let all the crud build up behind them. When I took mine off, I had the car for a year already and the space between the two stips of adhesive was completely filled with dirt and water. And that area has NO wax to help protect it. :smoke:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, fine, keep yours on. Let all the crud build up behind them. When I took mine off, I had the car for a year already and the space between the two stips of adhesive was completely filled with dirt and water. And that area has NO wax to help protect it. :smoke:
EEEEeeewwwww........

·
Registered
82 Posts
The other day I was looking at my car, and noticed that my side moldings looked a little sick. I already spoke to the dealer and they are gonna re-apply a new painted set, so no worries there. The lady at the body shop has seen it happen before, there is no clear coat on the molding. Here are some pics.
Be yourself Optimus. Do what you want to do. I will go on record as saying that I actually like how the side moldings look and if you are having a problem with paint coming off, there is a very simple thing you can do to extend their life.
If you want the side moldings with a protective clearcoat then just go to a bodyshop and have them apply one to just the moldings, or go to advance auto and get a can of clearcoat and apply it yourself (if you dare). Just remember to cover the parts you don't want sprayed. Also, beware of overspray! Just a single, even coating should be enough. The best is by Dupont. You should be able to get it at Advance Auto or any big auto parts store. It's well worth the cash and for just a few minutes trouble you will be able to extend the life of that molding.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Be yourself Optimus. Do what you want to do. I will go on record as saying that I actually like how the side moldings look and if you are having a problem with paint coming off, there is a very simple thing you can do to extend their life.
If you want the side moldings with a protective clearcoat then just go to a bodyshop and have them apply one to just the moldings, or go to advance auto and get a can of clearcoat and apply it yourself (if you dare). Just remember to cover the parts you don't want sprayed. Also, beware of overspray! Just a single, even coating should be enough. The best is by Dupont. You should be able to get it at Advance Auto or any big auto parts store. It's well worth the cash and for just a few minutes trouble you will be able to extend the life of that molding.

Believe me, they are gonna stay on. The parking lot gods get very angry by things like this :grin: Thanks Man,

Actually, the dealer is just gonna reapply a new set. They are gonna re-do all four. I confirmed that they were both painted and clear coated on site. I'll post pics

J/K

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
How can it be one more good reason, when I haven't heard one good reason yet?:smoke:
Then you haven't been paying close enough attention to the 27 threads about it! Hahahahaha ;)

My biggest reason: All the crud that came out from underneath them. That works its way, and never, never washes out. It's there month after month, year after year, eating and eating away at your paint . . .

Now to my original response - x whatever number it is for removing them. I just checked mine - nope, they're not showing any signs of "sickness" - where they are stored in the garage!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Its not a functional reason. Granted, I like the nekkid look, but increasing the chance of door craters isn't exactly a con outweighing the pro of its added protection
Start taking a real close look at every vehicle parked next to you. Mentally imagine their door opening, and see where contact will be made - most of the time, it WON't be on your molding.
Every single dent I've received was far away from the molding area.

Oh, and I just read ahead, so my previous post is tone-changed from the idea that there's crud under there, to I agree with the previous posters about crud being under there.
Every see that commercial where the little green creatures are eating away at your toe nails? . . . . . I know where they are hiding when they're not making commercials . . . . And, they like paint too . . . . . :sick::zombie::eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.