Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum so sorry if this has been discussed already....

Anyone know why we can't order the protection group on the charger? Specifically we were looking for the side airbags since we have small children. I called Dodge and neither they nor the dealers know why we can't get a charger with the side airbags.

I love this car - but safety plays a part for us.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
there are a few of us who wanted this package, and ordered our cars with it.... however for whatever reason the package is on indefinate hold, and most of us have decided to drop he package and get the car anyway...

The car has a 5 star side crash rating without them.... so even without it is a very safe vehicle.... but the side airbags on a car you can't take delivery of is not going to help you either... :D

·
Registered
1,869 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! I have been trying to get someone to tell me what the hold up is but no one seems to know. Last I heard was that the protection group won't be offered on R/T model. AND that no models will be built with side airbags through September... I don't know why they can't just say where the problem lies.

Good luck with yours! Hope you get it soon!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was interested in the protection group as well. From the latest posts at these forums, it sounded like September was now gone for starting builds and October would be the earliest for a protection group car. I know I've read that most car buyers in general don't want to pay extra for safety features, but seems to be a number of people interested posting here.

One would think someone at Dodge should be able to explain the delay whether it be parts, redesign, or rethinking making the option available. Is Dodge delivering other vehicles with side curtain airbags currently?

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
The Magnum has been and still is available with the side air bags/Protection Group option. I've been told by several sources that the Charger uses air bags from a different vendor and it's been a supply issue.

Considering how they've been delaying it (every month since at least May they've said "next month"), I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that some marketing genius is using us as a research group to see what demand for such an option is on a "performance sedan" or "sports car" with no intention to build it in the 2006 model year. The Magnum offers them since it's a station wagon, likely carrying families. The 300 offers them because it's upscale. But the Charger? It's a sports car, right? :happy:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
daisy1 said:
I'm new to the forum so sorry if this has been discussed already....

Anyone know why we can't order the protection group on the charger? Specifically we were looking for the side airbags since we have small children. I called Dodge and neither they nor the dealers know why we can't get a charger with the side airbags.

I love this car - but safety plays a part for us.

Thanks!
The airbags in the protection package are side curtain airbags designed to cushion your head in a side hit. They won't do anything for kids, who would certainly be strapped into car seats in back. In fact, those kids would be better off without the side airbags because of the risk of burns when the airbags deploy.

Also, don't forget you survived childhood in a car with no airbags, no shoulder harnesses in back, and possibly no seatbelts at all.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I pushed hard for the answer to this Friday on the phone to Chrysler customer service and to the management at my dealership. Cannot understand why this comes across as top secret information or something. What info I got (maybe worthless) is that it is a vendor problem with the airbags. This option will come available soon, and the 2007 models will have them as standard equipment.

I'm willing to hold out a bit more with my order. My uncle last year was broadsided at 55 MPH in his new Volvo (company car) last year. Fortunately, the passenger side. All the bags went off; the Volvo totaled. Not a single side glass panel left in the car. The curtain system helps protect against glass debris, along with your head impacting the side.

Guys, I want my car as bad as any of you. I just can't easily say forget the option. This will be my car for some time. Heck, I'm 39, and I still have my first car. My grandfather's 1966 Chevy C10 fleetside (327, 4-bbl, 3-spd on the 'tree'). Not my primary vehicle; just my restored 'toy'. I enjoyed reading the list of your first cars.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Dutch said:
Also, don't forget you survived childhood in a car with no airbags, no shoulder harnesses in back, and possibly no seatbelts at all.
And a lot of people managed to avoid dying from infection before penicillin was discovered. What's your point? All things being equal, a car with side airbags is safer than one without out them. This fact is inarguable.

·
Registered
58 Posts
mnunes said:
The Magnum has been and still is available with the side air bags/Protection Group option. I've been told by several sources that the Charger uses air bags from a different vendor and it's been a supply issue.
Well, that makes sense...why would I want to stay with a current vendor supplying product when I could have another :confused:

·
Registered
331 Posts
jrourke said:
Well, that makes sense...why would I want to stay with a current vendor supplying product when I could have another :confused:
The whole thing seems mighty fishy to me.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
keep in mind... the 300, magnum and charger all have slightly different rooflines, and will require a differently shaped part.... the parts are will not be interchangeable between models.... anytime a new part is needed.... it gets sent to bid....

also for all we know they are having issues with the side airbag still on the charger, with it being a new part compared to the parts used in the other 2 cars...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
gweempose said:
And a lot of people managed to avoid dying from infection before penicillin was discovered. What's your point? All things being equal, a car with side airbags is safer than one without out them. This fact is inarguable.
You'd be safer still if you wore a helmet all the time when you're driving your car. Perhaps you should do that.

My point is, like everything else, you have to draw the line somewhere. How much safety do you really need?

·
Registered
331 Posts
What does "Job #1" mean? I assume this is good news.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Re: Side airbags 9/12?

jrourke said:
Can it possibly be???

(CJ2) Side air bag has a Job #1 of 9/12/05 (Charger)

http://www.arifleet.com/production.html
Can anyone verify this? I went to my dealer today and asked about this. The info they had from Dodge still said indefinite hold with no date for production (as of 9/2/05).

I asked them to change my order to add the Road and Track option, and the protection package was gone from the list of available options. Seems like bad news.

How accurate is that arifleet.com site?

·
Registered
331 Posts
It doesn't look good. I just talked to my dealer today and they confirmed that the Protection Group is no longer listed as an option when building your car. After much soul searching, I've finally accepted the fact that we will probably never see side air bags on an '06 Charger. I have no idea what went awry, but DC clearly screwed up big time with this whole fiasco. Now I have to decide what to do next. Do I buy one without the side air bags or do I start looking at other cars?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are going to happen. Hopefully (for my sanity) soon. I just noticed that the Dodge web site has increased the MSRP from $440 to $590. I hope I don't have to explain to my salesman that a deal is a deal at the ordered price.

Looks like it was all about cost increase. God forbid Dodge has to lose $150 on this feature. I guess next they're going to hold our orders because $675 won't cover the transportation cost anymore.

ADDED:

Oh, crap! I just realized I didn't check with the AWT package checked off. Nothing has changed on the MSRP. Forgive me.

I'll give up on this option if no answers by the end of Sept.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Had I waited for the Protection Package, I may have recieved my car, summer 2006! :D :lol: :grin:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Tomorrow I'm pulling the plug on side airbags and adding the R/T package. I've made it this far (32) without ever needing any airbags, so holding up my order for curtain airbags just seems silly. If they were real side airbags, that might be different.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts