Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planned on getting Corsa Extremes for my R/T, but recently I met a guy who told me he could put on some long tube headers, and a couple other bolt-ons for a hell of a deal, because he worked with my grandfather who was a prominent figure in NASCAR and Indy Racing in their early years. So my dilemma is this: I like the sound of Corsa Extremes on the stock R/T's, I like how loud they are, but they're not over the top. My car is a daily driver and I don't want to be completely overwhelmed by the sound of exhaust. I know that headers will greatly affect my sound, so should I wait and consider exhaust after I have the headers and other work done, or should I go ahead and get the Corsas now, and see what kind of sound I get after I put the headers on second?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
If you have the money to do both now, do it! The corsa isn't that loud. Some have said it's really loud but it's pretty mellow. A guy had the corsa extreme on his challenger RT which was parked next to me a few days ago. I stuck around to hear it start up...it was quiet! From a distance you couldn't even tell the car was on. The corsa system really wakes up at WOT. I would say do both. The headers will give some sound but not a ton, more of a rumble. If you do anything with the cats then you'll have a big sound upgrade.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
I would put on the Catback and see if you like the sound. No going back if you do both. A Catback system is easy to install. Less than two hours labor. Headers along with the HF cats that are needed will take about a full day to install and if they end up being too loud, you have the expense of the install cost, headers and HF's.

I have the JBA Shorties, HF Cats, Dynomax SuperTurbo along with Vibrant resonators and it is loud when putting a load on the engine. I will be going to Dynomax VT's (Drone free mufflers) in the spring. Still trying to get the right sound out of my mods.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
You have to drop your mid pipes to get your headers on...so at that point you exhaust is half removed so save yourself some labor and do both at the same time.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
I installed my catback without any problems. Installed the JBA HF cats without having to remove the catback. The HFs fit right into the stock manifold and then with a little pulling they fit right into the catback. The OP stated:

"My car is a daily driver and I don't want to be completely overwhelmed by the sound of exhaust."

Why spend $$$ on a header/HF system and the money that it will cost to install if the OP may not like the sound as a daily driver. It will not cost one dime more to install the catback system he likes and then later on if he wants a more aggressive sound have the headers and HF's installed. Two separate installations one easy, and one that will take a full day. The cost to install the catback system will be the same whether he gets headers or not. Any shop that is worth doing the install is going to charge based on the hours worked!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, one more question: would the catbacks and headers together, cause cabin drone? That is also a big factor that I'm keeping in mind as I go exhaust shopping

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I installed my catback without any problems. Installed the JBA HF cats without having to remove the catback. The HFs fit right into the stock manifold and then with a little pulling they fit right into the catback. The OP stated:

"My car is a daily driver and I don't want to be completely overwhelmed by the sound of exhaust."

Why spend $$$ on a header/HF system and the money that it will cost to install if the OP may not like the sound as a daily driver. It will not cost one dime more to install the catback system he likes and then later on if he wants a more aggressive sound have the headers and HF's installed. Two separate installations one easy, and one that will take a full day. The cost to install the catback system will be the same whether he gets headers or not. Any shop that is worth doing the install is going to charge based on the hours worked!

Wow...dude relax

There is very little performance gain with a catback or high flows over stock cats. Factory system flows very well. Headers will add a noticeable amount of power and sound improvement. Also headers will change the sound of the catback which is easy to address. If your thinking about headers I would assume its not for sound but the power benefits

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Wow...dude relax

There is very little performance gain with a catback or high flows over stock cats. Factory system flows very well. Headers will add a noticeable amount of power and sound improvement. Also headers will change the sound of the catback which is easy to address. If your thinking about headers I would assume its not for sound but the power benefits
I was just trying to answer the OP's question in his first post. Seems to me that he was more interested in sound as a daily driver and did not mention performance. I thought he mentioned headers because of the cheap labor offered. No offense, I agree with you that the factory system flows well and that headers will add the power. I was just trying to steer him in the most cost effective way towards his end goal which may or may not be the added performance at this time.

WRT drone OP, everything depends on the pieces you put together, Catback, HF's and the headers. PlumCrazyDaytona is right though, if more power is your ultimate goal you should go with the whole system at the same time. If you have a deal on the install costs, hit YouTube up for the many sound clips available. IMO each long tube header has a unique sound, and I am still looking for the right combo for my ride. I plan to ditch the Shorties (Not much additional power) but I also want the system to be drone free as possible for long trips.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My end goal is ~500 RWHP, but I don't plan on trying to get there all in one shot. The headers are for power in my case, not sound. But the exhaust is absolutely for sound alone, I just know that the headers will adversely affect the overall sound

1 - 10 of 10 Posts