Charger Forums banner

What should I do

• Buy it....its a fair deal for a good car

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get a refund and cancel the deal

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • Somehow play my cards right and get the general manager to knock some money off the price (BUT HOW?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for making another thread but I am super stressed

NEED YOU GUYS TO TELL ME IF I SHOULD GO FORWARD WITH PURCHASE OR GET A REFUND ASAP. Bought a few days ago, I still have not picked up the car yet because I'm waiting for the wire transfer to clear. (Should be within the next day or two)

1607143122388-png.png

Final negotiated price was $23,650 Canadian ($18,475.98 USD), including a free alignment, tank of gas, and oil change......it's ecoboost premium with the works, 12" digital dash, traffic safety features, 20-inch rims

(Car does have an accident on it, but after having a bodyshop check it out, they said that it was a passenger side sideswipe and is purely cosmetic. Nothing mechanical underneath was replaced.)

Anyways, in the past few days, I've dug up some stuff about the car that I really dont like.

First, the mileage is inaccurately advertised on cargurus and autotrader. Instead of having 52,000KM (32K miles), it has 61,000KM (38K miles)

Second, it has some sort of custom exhaust which is loud but not the good type of loud. It likes to drone...... The guys here tell me that " It’s probably stock exhaust with resonator delete and added an X pipe'

Tried going back with the general manager to re-negotiate today. He refused to lower the price or add any incentives. He said he will have the shop "take a look" at the exhaust

He offered that I either buy the car at the agreed upon price, or take a full refund. (he knows I like the car)....... Should I get a full refund guys? Do you think he will be willing to negotiate if I call his bluff and actually ask for a refund?

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,788 Posts
It sounds like you are not having a positive experience with the purchase. Exhaust drone will have you hating the car in a week. You haven't even taken possession and are having something fixed.

Lots of fish on the sea, run don't walk away.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yup. Run away. I'd run for no other reason than the sales wienie is an arrogant jackass.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
As others have said, if your not feeling great about getting this car, walk away. If you can as it seems you signed the paperwork and dealer may say, Hey, its your car. You signed on the dotted line.
If you don't pay they may go after your credit record. Hopefully not.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
500 Posts
As others have said, if your not feeling great about getting this car, walk away. If you can as it seems you signed the paperwork and dealer may say, Hey, its your car. You signed on the dotted line.
If you don't pay they may go after your credit record. Hopefully not.
I think the dealer offered a refund...

He offered that I either buy the car at the agreed upon price, or take a full refund. (he knows I like the car)....... Should I get a full refund guys? Do you think he will be willing to negotiate if I call his bluff and actually ask for a refund?
If I was him, I'd take it and continue to shop... a different dealership. ;-)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
If the dealer has misrepresented the car, by all means back out of the car and dealer.

Reactions: Badge180

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
193 Posts
It's a 4 cylinder Mustang, they're a dime a dozen it won't be hard to find another one. Bad CarFax, sketchy exhaust, and a mysterious extra 6k miles?? Walk away and find something else.......like a nice Charger:unsure:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but what's the appeal of a non-V8 Mustang with an automatic? Especially given the price difference between a brand new Ecoboost and base GT is only about $4k? Don't get me wrong - I love 4cyl turbos too (I've owned 3, including my current STI), but to me, a Mustang is synonymous with a V8 - not just for the power, but the sound. If I were shopping for a 4cyl turbo, I'd be looking at other platforms, i.e. STI's, Golf R, Civic Type-R, etc.

As for this particular car, unless the price reflects the additional depreciation due to the accident, I'd take the refund in full and run far away like everyone else has suggested. Even if the accident were purely cosmetic, and it may not matter to you, it's still going to be part of that car's record and will hurt resale value if you choose to sell it down the road. Also, the droning exhaust note of a 4cyl in a Mustang would drive me crazy.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
193 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but what's the appeal of a non-V8 Mustang with an automatic? Especially given the price difference between a brand new Ecoboost and base GT is only about $4k? Don't get me wrong - I love 4cyl turbos too (I've owned 3, including my current STI), but to me, a Mustang is synonymous with a V8 - not just for the power, but the sound. If I were shopping for a 4cyl turbo, I'd be looking at other platforms, i.e. STI's, Golf R, Civic Type-R, etc.
I'm not arguing for or against, I've had V8s and Turbo 4s. But the 4k from an Ecoboost to a V8 spent building the Ecoboost will make it faster than a V8. Also the 10 speed in a Mustang is far superior to a manual in terms of speed and fuel effenciency. Not as much fun but arguably the better choice, but no V8 rumble is a bummer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm not arguing for or against, I've had V8s and Turbo 4s. But the 4k from an Ecoboost to a V8 spent building the Ecoboost will make it faster than a V8. Also the 10 speed in a Mustang is far superior to a manual in terms of speed and fuel effenciency. Not as much fun but arguably the better choice, but no V8 rumble is a bummer.
Sure, I get where you're coming from. Looking at the Cobb website, it seems like you'd need at least a Stage 3 package in order to get comparable times to a stock GT which probably can be done with the $4k savings. But then you're "stuck" with a 4cyl Mustang that is probably closing in on the top of end "reliable power" whereas the Coyote is just getting started. Apples and oranges, I know. The only reason I bring this up is because to me, the reason for owning a Mustang is that it can be had with a V8, RWD, 6-speed. You take away 2 of those 3 things, and IMO, the appeal of the Mustang drops a ton. If all you're looking for is a smallish 2dr with a boosted small displacement motor and an automatic, there are better options. For instance, why not a lightly used BMW M235i with the ZF 8-speed? Basically does everything the Mustang does, but better.

Of course, this is all premised on what I consider a Mustang to be. More power to you if you feel differently!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Are you sure Carfax is right for the mileage? If the dealer has the mileage wrong go after a reduced price for that. If they won't budge take the refund. You should have thought of the exhaust before signing the purchase agreement.

·
Registered
24 Posts
First of all I would run like the wind if I had the feeling you do. Second why buy a Ford? Fnd yourself a new or new to you Charger. Don't step down.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Sure, I get where you're coming from. Looking at the Cobb website, it seems like you'd need at least a Stage 3 package in order to get comparable times to a stock GT which probably can be done with the $4k savings. But then you're "stuck" with a 4cyl Mustang that is probably closing in on the top of end "reliable power" whereas the Coyote is just getting started. Apples and oranges, I know. The only reason I bring this up is because to me, the reason for owning a Mustang is that it can be had with a V8, RWD, 6-speed. You take away 2 of those 3 things, and IMO, the appeal of the Mustang drops a ton. If all you're looking for is a smallish 2dr with a boosted small displacement motor and an automatic, there are better options. For instance, why not a lightly used BMW M235i with the ZF 8-speed? Basically does everything the Mustang does, but better.

Of course, this is all premised on what I consider a Mustang to be. More power to you if you feel differently!
Keep in mind the OP had a 2015 SXT and the base Mustang EcoBoost would be in the same power range as the Charger he is used to driving, albeit the Ford is a much smaller and lighter car. It has better acceleration than the SXT and has a comparable top speed. So, I'm just guessing the OP is satisfied with the performance the EcoBoost delivers and therefore has bypassed on a Eco Performance Package and the Coyote engine. And is also just looking for a change.

Everything being said about the appeal of the GT over the EcoBoost can be said about the Dodge 3.6 vs the 5.7 vs the 6.4 vs the 6.2. We all want the OP to be a happy camper and not get screwed by the dealer. I hope he find something that is reliable, and meets his checklist.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Take the money and spend it on tuition for drama school. You're a natural!

Reactions: Badge180

·
Registered
141 Posts
Stock 10 speed GTs are running low 12s, and with just a tire upgrade, you will be in the high 11s. Ecoboosts need a lot more than $4K to get into the 11s.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
193 Posts
Stock 10 speed GTs are running low 12s, and with just a tire upgrade, you will be in the high 11s. Ecoboosts need a lot more than $4K to get into the 11s.
Listen KARL, my name is Karl too so I can do that lol My argument was a built 2.3 with the 10 speed, vs a stock coyote with a manual. Not a 10 sp vs 10 sp.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts