Charger Forums banner

Which V8 should I get R/T or SCAT Pack

Should I get R/T Charger or SCAT Pack Charger as a Daily Driver? COVID Car Buying

22K views 79 replies 33 participants last post by  Rex Racer 
#1 ·
Hi there! I was wondering if I should get a R/T Charger or a SCAT Charger as a daily driving vehicle? Most of my driving is highway miles, so I am not to worried about gas. In Florida(During COVID) I see a lot of used R/T Chargers that have 20k to 40k miles on them going for 29,000 to 35,000. I also see some used SCAT Chargers going for 38k to 43k. I test drove them both, I cant seem to decide what is the better car. I am coming from a 4cylinder Car to a V8. Also with my insurance company there isn't a difference in price between a R/T Charger and SCAT Charger.

#2 ·
Depends on how much performance (HP/TQ) you want built into the car. Adding HP/TQ to an R/T for a 2015+ model is more expensive now due to locked PCM, etc... Adding HP/TQ to an R/T to equal a SCAT is even more expensive. Generally requires adding forced induction to gain the extra 100 HP.
It also depends on the option packages of each car. A fully optioned R/T can be more enjoyable (creature comforts) than a stripped down SCAT. Depends on your priorities (performance vs comfort).

#3 ·
I don’t see what the virus has to do with anything other than maybe the crazy used car economy you much find right now. If you are not worried about gas and the insurance isn‘t an issue, get the Scat if you have the money and can find because the moment someone outruns you if you get an R/T you‘ll wish you had that extra 115hp that basically has no downside because the engine isn’t really significantly bigger.

#5 ·
I had a choice. A loaded R/T or a stripped down Scat Pack.
I chose a loaded R/T Daytona.
It is fast enough, especially since the cops seize your car for 14 days if you go 50km/h(30mph) over the speed limit or 40km/h(26mph) over in any speed zones that have lower speeds than 80km/h.

THe extra power would be nice, but it is rare that I even need or do use full throttle without worrying about losing my car/license and all the heavy traffic.

#6 ·
I used my Scatpack as a daily driver for a 70 mile round trip highway commute. Loved it. Comfy and fast.

Would I buy another one? Probably not. Once you get past the fast and the looks, there's some niggly quality issues to contend with and two of the largest shareholders of the company that owns Dodge are now the French and CHINESE governments.

Stellantis - Wikipedia

If you're ok with that and don't mind the occasional quality challenge, it's a good highway cruiser.

Best,

#54 ·
I used my Scatpack as a daily driver for a 70 mile round trip highway commute. Loved it. Comfy and fast.

Would I buy another one? Probably not. Once you get past the fast and the looks, there's some niggly quality issues to contend with and two of the largest shareholders of the company that owns Dodge are now the French and CHINESE governments.

Stellantis - Wikipedia

If you're ok with that and don't mind the occasional quality challenge, it's a good highway cruiser.

Best,
So glad you could find a way to bring politics into this! SMH

#7 ·
Either would be great for daily drivers. The two main things a car like the Charger would have going against it (as far as being a daily driver is concerned) is the fuel mileage and the size of the car, for parking into tight spots. I've had several RT's as rentals and they are fun to drive. They sound great and are plenty fast enough. Obviously jumping up to the 392 unleashes another level of power, but it is really too much for the daily driver.. in the sense that you are typically "wasting" more of the power than you are using. Most of the time, you won't be using all of the power of the 5.7, let alone the 6.4.

Either are a good choice. I guess it would come down to if you can afford the extra car, and if its REALLY worth it for you to pay the extra. Some people are more than satisfied with having an SXT, some think they wouldn't survive without driving a Hellcat. I had this debate between ordering my SPWB and getting a Hellcat. I went back and forth for about two weeks...ultimately I chose the SP. The extra money didn't make sense for me. Nearly identical cars other than some minor option difference, and of course the SC. The cars have the same power (feel) driving wise, up until you are at highway speeds and punch it.

#8 ·
X 2 on what Zaimer has said. The used car market right now, is terribly inflated, as is the real estate market.
If you can wait, you'll be able to get a SP for closer to the current price range of an R/T once the market comes back from stupidity.

I paid $23k out the door for my '14 R/T back in October of '16. It was a one owner, with 29k on it. There is no way I would pay todays inflated pricing for an R/T, or Scat.

Don

Reactions: Koron
#9 ·
I agree, I'd wait. No way I would pay $43k for a used Scat Pack with 30k miles on it. I paid $27,9 for my 2013 Super Bee in 2016 with 50k miles.

If it was up to me, I'm going 392 all day everyday over a 5.7. I had a fully optioned 2010 R/T and now drive a bare bones 392, and I'd take the power all day over some of the amenities that the loaded R/T had.

-no sunroof, didn't use it
-no power passenger seat, not my problem
-4.3 UConnect, use Waze anyway
-no heated seats, never used them once

The only thing I miss is the shiny leather seats BUT, the cloth to me are easier to keep nice. I also don't slide around in the slick leather like I did in my R/T.

Anyway, if you must, my vote is the 392.

Reactions: POWERMAN
#10 ·
Last piece of advice - never drive something more powerful without driving the "lesser" first. If you drive the RT, love the power, price, etc... then you have the chance to really ask yourself what you're willing to pay MORE to have more power. If the RT blows you away, there is no reason to go up.

It is much more difficult to start at the top and work your way down.

#11 ·
I second this advice... when I was upgrading from my 2006 R/T R&T last year I was fine with getting an R/T. For me the eagle headed Hemi and the 8 speed were a big upgrades performance wise and with the Plus Package it had so many more creature comforts too. I was trying to find the best value R/T or Scat with the Plus Group but no sunroof.... that's hard to find used.

I generally keep my used cars another 8-10 years so I figure I can always step up again to a Scat or the electric Charger when the time comes!

#15 ·
If you've driven both cars and don't really notice much difference between them, that tells me you did't really drive either one very hard to know. The difference in performance would have made me to know instantly. Everyone has different wants and needs. I personally would go with the Scat Pack, but if you're not going to use it, the 5.7 engine R/T might be great and save you some money. It's all about what works best for you.

#17 ·
Is this directed towards someone..? I believe it seems most of the posts on here reflect that the ScatPack has more power than an RT.
This is also why I had said if you’re satisfied with the 5.7, there’s no reason to drive a 6.4..because you’ll almost be forced to go with the more expensive car.

#16 ·
When buying my car I considered the resale value and the smiles per gallon.
I originally wanted a Scat Challenger however I stopped at the dealership and saw the Scat Charger and one test drive and I was hooked,
6k off of list wasn’t to bad either it’s been almost a year and I am loving every time I drive my Scat.
List was 51k payed 45k now thinking Redeye 😱

#21 ·
I agree. $5,000 is nothing. The 392 is levels above the 5.7. The difference in power between the two is night and day. If you can afford the 392, you won't regret it.

The 5.7 is no slouch, but it's performance is average in today's world.

#25 ·
Is there much of a difference in Fuel costs between the SCAT and R/T? I will be driving roughly 50miles one way. One thing I think I noticed was that the R/T appeared to be louder with the start up than the SCAT I could be wrong though.. Also some of the R/Ts I test drove seemed fully loaded with extra features like heated seats, and other things.

#27 ·
6.4 takes premium, plus more expensive brakes, possible insurance depending on situation.... that is the biggest difference from what I have heard. It also depends on how you drive, if you are daily driving it go 5.7. Too much to use even on the country roads unless you like to get tickets and possibly wreck in a 5.7 your doing 80 before you know it. I am upgrading to a scat pack widebody only because of the times and I have 2 other cars to daily. My wife has a 3rd car, I am a little obsessed with 4 wheels.

Neil

#26 ·
I honestly didn't see much of a difference in fuel mileage between my 5.7 and 6.4. I do have the NAG1 5 speed and not the 8 so maybe there is more of a difference in the 2015+.

Reactions: POWERMAN
#30 · (Edited)
I'll throw in my 2 cents here. I've owned both and I'm not as down on the 5.7 as others are.
I currently own a 21 Scat and really like it. It has all the options I originally wanted on my RT when I bought it new in 18.
The only reason i have a scat now is because of the crazy crap going on in the used market. I was able to sell my RT for crazy money and have the same payment on a Scat with more options because I got a lot more than I owed. So I was thrilled.
I loved my RT. It had plenty of power and was optioned pretty well. It really moved out when it needed to and never embarrased me unless I picked the wrong car to mess with. It will not keep up with current crop of GT's and SS's so you need to really careful..lol
Drove my RT from St.Louis to Yellowstone and back last year and it was an awesome drive. Set my trip meter for the trip and was averaging 30mpg on the way back (FOR THE WHOLE TRIP) at times. Finished out about 28mpg for the whole trip
Super comfy ride. Great highway car and great mileage for a V8.
I basically sold my RT outright to a Ford dealership. We were car shopping for my wife on a rainy day and took my charger. They told me they were going to buy my car whether we bought anything from them or not......I laughed.......they made their offer.
I was pulling the plates off about 20min later and they drove my wife and I home. About a 30min drive.
I found a new Scat onlinne that same day about an hour away. Called them and they quoted me 5000 under invoice. I put 500 down over the phone and picked it up about a week later.
I love the Scat Pack. It's the same color as my RT with more options and over 100hp more. And yes it is noticable just like everyone says. Night and day.
There is also a noticeable difference in gas mileage no matter what anyone says. Im in the pedal a lot more and my average mpg runs about 16 to 19 tops. The RT averaged about 21. Best average highway for the scat 24mpg, RT was about 27 to 28. Add the additional cost of premium and the fuel cost is significantly more.
The suspension is also stiffer on the scat. I made a couple trips to KC and back. Great riding car but not as good as the RT on long drives. Still a great cross country car but the RT was more plush riding and better for the long haul.
Insurance was also more in my case. But others have said theirs was the same. I can only speak for me.
Bottom line, you wont go wrong with either car. But, if you are power hungry you will desire the scat after you buy the RT. If you can be rational, the RT has more power than needed for 99% of people and their daily driving. Better gas mileage, little bit cheaper fuel, slightly better ride.

Three more things:
I loved my RT
I love my Scat more.
And I would not buy a used car right now, if that is what you are looking to do. Wait if you can.

#32 ·
I'll throw in my 2 cents here. I've owned both and I'm not as down on the 5.7 as others are.
I currently own a 21 Scat and really like it. It has all the options I originally wanted on my RT when I bought it new in 18.
The only reason i have a scat now is because of the crazy crap going on in the used market. I was able to sell my RT for crazy money and have the same payment on a Scat with more options because I got a lot more than I owed. So I was thrilled.
I loved my RT. It had plenty of power and was optioned pretty well. It really moved out when it needed to and never embarrased me unless I picked the wrong car to mess with. It will not keep up with current crop of GT's and SS's so you need to really careful..lol
Drove my RT from St.Louis to Yellowstone and back last year and it was an awesome drive. Set my trip meter for the trip and was averaging 30mpg on the way back (FOR THE WHOLE TRIP) at times. Finished out about 28mpg for the whole trip
Super comfy ride. Great highway car and great mileage for a V8.
I basically sold my RT outright to a Ford dealership. We were car shopping for my wife on a rainy day and took my charger. They told me they were going to buy my car whether we bought anything from them or not......I laughed.......they made their offer.
I was pulling the plates off about 20min later and they drove my wife and I home. About a 30min drive.
I found a new Scat onlinne that same day about an hour away. Called them and they quoted me 5000 under invoice. I put 500 down over the phone and picked it up about a week later.
I love the Scat Pack. It's the same color as my RT with more options and over 100hp more. And yes it is noticable just like everyone says. Night and day.
There is also a noticeable difference in gas mileage no matter what anyone says. Im in the pedal a lot more and my average mpg runs about 16 to 19 tops. The RT averaged about 21. Best average highway for the scat 24mpg, RT was about 27 to 28. Add the additional cost of premium and the fuel cost is significantly more.
The suspension is also stiffer on the scat. I made a couple trips to KC and back. Great riding car but not as good as the RT on long drives. Still a great cross country car but the RT was more plush riding and better for the long haul.
Insurance was also more in my case. But others have said theirs was the same. I can only speak for me.
Bottom line, you wont go wrong with either car. But, if you are power hungry you will desire the scat after you buy the RT. If you can be rational, the RT has more power than needed for 99% of people and their daily driving. Better gas mileage, little bit cheaper fuel, slightly better ride.

Three more things:
I loved my RT
I love my Scat more.
And I would not buy a used car right now, if that is what you are looking to do. Wait if you can.
There are several things that don't add up for this...
  1. whether or not you received a "good" deal isn't determined by the change (or lack of) of monthly payment.
  2. $5,000 under invoice or under MSRP? That does include that money from Dodge? Using a fairly optioned ScatPack, $5,000 is still well under employee pricing, even with the $1,500 Dodge cash included. The less optioned a car is, the most significant X dollar amount under invoice is. Most dealers aren't going to give those types of numbers right now, especially on a unit in stock.
  3. Did you shop around/inquire with others what they would purchase your car for? Seems unlikely to jump ship at the first offer, and have that be the best option..

Your description between the RT and the ScatPack is accurate IMO. I honestly think that many people would be satisfied with the RT, especially with those who hadn't driven something faster.

#34 ·
You can't go wrong with either car. I currently have a 5.7 2017 RT and it has more power than needed for daily driving. If your daily commute includes rush hour traffic and congestion the extra power won't mean much and the extra fuel expense will add up over time. The Scat is a great car and a step up but it really depends on what you are using the car for and what your expectations and budget are. If you drove both and couldn't tell the difference go with the one that makes the most financial sense to your pocket book. People will give all kinds of advice but at the end of the day you will be the one that has to write the check or make the monthly payments. Choose the one you like more and be happy. Remember most of the people you pass on the highway will wish they had a Charger.

#36 · (Edited)
@jashaun Check out my man Hemi Muscle on YouTube… his starting tag line “Welcome back to the channel, Welcome back to the channel.” (y)

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCCoysSwil6cNLhqiEYuSQnw

He had an R/T and upgraded to a Scat Pack (Widebody). Awesome Octane Red.

R/T is no slouch and the reason I have a Charger at all after driving one several times. And why I have pretty much what Hemi Muscle has now.

The big Power Dollar rebates are gone and don’t expect them to come back. It makes no sense to buy used and with Chip Shortage into next year don’t expect the crazy used pricing to improve much anytime soon.

Widebody Nation has good coverage on current trends on price and incentives.

#39 ·
@jashaun Check out my man Hemi Muscle on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCCoysSwil6cNLhqiEYuSQnw

He had an R/T and upgraded to a Scat Pack (Widebody). Awesome Octane Red.

R/T is no slouch and the reason I have a Charger at all after driving one several times. And why I have pretty much what Hemi Muscle has now.

The big Power Dollar rebates are gone and don’t expect them to come back. It makes no sense to buy used and with Chip Shortage into next year don’t expect the crazy uses pricing to improve much anytime soon.

Widebody Nation has good coverage on current trends on price and incentives.
Yeah, I don't see Dodge brining the power dollars back anytime in the foreseeable future. There simply is no reason too, as you had said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.