Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered a Trinity and decided to go get a custom tune done to squeeze every last drop of awesome out of my girl and her bolt-ons. I'm now deciding whether to get some headers for her too, since they require tuning as well for full benefits. Maybe then I can be satisfied and put my wallet away for the year.

So...

1. Will LT's make my Corsa Xtreme drone my skull apart, or will they just make an ungodly amount of loudness?

2. Do I need to have my headers coated?

3. Does 9 to 11 hours install sound reasonable?

4. Do 50 hp gains seem achievable?

5. Kooks, right?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I've ordered a Trinity and decided to go get a custom tune done to squeeze every last drop of awesome out of my girl and her bolt-ons. I'm now deciding whether to get some headers for her too, since they require tuning as well for full benefits. Maybe then I can be satisfied and put my wallet away for the year.

So...

1. Will LT's make my Corsa Xtreme drone my skull apart, or will they just make an ungodly amount of loudness?

Don't expect too much change but you will likely hear more low-end drone

2. Do I need to have my headers coated?

Why do you think they need to be coated?

3. Does 9 to 11 hours install sound reasonable?

For headers? More than enough time.

4. Do 50 hp gains seem achievable?

No, headers will never give you that much alone. 15-20 at best and only if your other mods support it. Remember LT headers are for the high-end not the low-end of the HP/Torque curve
5. Kooks, right?

Reasonable choice if LT is what you want.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure exactly what benefits are gained from coating them is why I ask. I mean, from what I understand, ceramic coating keeps heat in the exhaust gasses, but I'm wondering when that becomes necessary, if it ever really is necessary.

The shop I talked to said they tune a lot of hemi's, and can squeeze an extra 50 hp out of a 392. It seems like an awful lot from a custom tune, but they said it's possible. From what I've seen around the net a tune can maybe do half that, which makes me a little skeptical, but kind of excited to see what they can do.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Kooks headers will produce around 30 hp and 20 ft lbs of torque under the curve and a max of 20lbs and 30 hp peak if tuned properly. I can post up a dyno sheet if you would like. I plan on hitting the dyno this Saturday to validate the dyno sheet that was shared with me.

Coated is personal preference, coating was free so I took it and it looks great!

My kooks really waked up the car compared to my shorty JBA's.

Exhaust note.....much less drone and tone has changed and idle sounds much better. I am not happy about the loss of drone as my car sounded amazing at a cruise and now its very tame at a cruise

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
As far as coating goes...I feel it's a must! The heat can crack headers over time. I'm not sure how resistant they are on the modern hemi but on other platforms (viper for example) coating is a must or they don't last long.

They should be coated inside and outside too; I'm not sure if Kooks coats both the inside and outside.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
138 Posts

So...

1. Will LT's make my Corsa Xtreme drone my skull apart, or will they just make an ungodly amount of loudness? = Yes

2. Do I need to have my headers coated? = They will last longer and your under hoods temps will be much lower.

3. Does 9 to 11 hours install sound reasonable? = No five hours is correct install time.

4. Do 50 hp gains seem achievable? = Yes / 30rwhp or 50fwhp

5. Kooks, right? = Kooks are nice but I would check out the JBA Ceramic Long Tubes as you can buy them stainless and Ceramic coated for half the price of the other brands.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweet deal. Ordered some coated Kooks from Maryland Speed. Hopefully they're here for the install/tune I have booked on the 23rd. Lemme know how they sound

·
Registered
13 Posts
Coating LT Headers is a MUST. For the little extra money its more than worth it. Keeping underhood temps down and preventing things near the headers from melting is a good thing. My experience with LT headers is they usually lower the exhaust loudness unless you opt for the no cat option.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
I would really think about the long term intentions of what you want out of the car.
If this a step towards more performance then by all means go with the lts. I ran the stock srt headers with my Maggie and pulled an 11.79 quarter mile. I don't think lts would have helped at that point. I have since built my motor/sc/trans and went with lts because it made sense given my boost level and requirement to move that exhaust.
Lts are cool as hell - the quintessential hot rodders mod but you may be happier with your money spent on gears or a torque converter at this point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts