Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://rochester.craigslist.org/pts/4207991551.html

I know there are better ones out there, but this might be good enough. The guy says it's off an 2008 3.5L Charger. It goes all the way down into the fender. He said there was noticeable gain in power and fuel economy on his Charger. I'm debating in either getting this or buying the K&N filter for the stock airbox. Thoughts? Is this a decent price?

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
http://rochester.craigslist.org/pts/4207991551.html

I know there are better ones out there, but this might be good enough. The guy says it's off an 2008 3.5L Charger. It goes all the way down into the fender. He said there was noticeable gain in power and fuel economy on his Charger. I'm debating in either getting this or buying the K&N filter for the stock airbox. Thoughts? Is this a decent price?
You can build it yourself for the same price and wont have to pay for shipping...from Chili?! Not to mention you can get it brand new from eBay for $40.

And if he said he noticed power gains he's full of it, butt dyno's don't mean a thing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can build it yourself for the same price and wont have to pay for shipping...from Chili?! Not to mention you can get it brand new from eBay for $40.

And if he said he noticed power gains he's full of it, butt dyno's don't mean a thing.
Chili NY is only 10 minutes away. No shipping. Only thing is its used and it doesn't look like anything special. Probably just an ebay CAI he bought years back. Maybe I'll see if he'll do $20. If not, then buy a newer one.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
If 20 ish, then yea go for it, if not them ebay a new one.
u will notice some fuel economy, but as for power, not much maybe a quicker response and a small torque gain, u have the High Output engine, it will maximize the use of it but wont give u competition power...
all in all, worth it for the price, u get looks and sound from it, minimal gains, some gas savings - offset by how much u like the sound you will want to keep your foot in it.
will let you cruise easier tho :)

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Chili NY is only 10 minutes away. No shipping. Only thing is its used and it doesn't look like anything special. Probably just an ebay CAI he bought years back. Maybe I'll see if he'll do $20. If not, then buy a newer one.

Thanks
Haha! Man, I had no idea there was a town called Chili in NY. Learned something new! :beerchug:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought it last night for $20! He had it setup for a short-ram type, but it has all pipe to go all the way down the fender. I hooked it up as short-ram. Sometime when the weather is nicer I will hook up the other section to take it down the fender and see how it does.

I notice the engine runs smoother, especially in the higher RPM range. It seems to have improved acceleration too. Bottom line is I do have gains. I would reccommend buying one to 3.5 owners.

:beerchug:

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Excellent buy bro! Less restriction will give u better top end a a bit more torque! Sadly as the car adjusts to it, and yourself, you will feel less umph. Especially jn the heat, right now as u are running u are pulling colder air cuz of the weather.
no need for sad faces tho, cuz as you said, in better weather you will be able to get the full fender mount on, then you will be pulling cooler air than the engine bay, which will offset the hot weather's ill effect some.
nonetheless, it will always be better than the restrictive oem filter!
im guessing you are also experiencing easier cruising and better mpgs?

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
I bought it last night for $20! He had it setup for a short-ram type, but it has all pipe to go all the way down the fender. I hooked it up as short-ram. Sometime when the weather is nicer I will hook up the other section to take it down the fender and see how it does.

I notice the engine runs smoother, especially in the higher RPM range. It seems to have improved acceleration too. Bottom line is I do have gains. I would reccommend buying one to 3.5 owners.

:beerchug:

So your engine did not run smooth in the higher RPMs before the CAI?...Can you explain smoother?....How are you measuring "improved" acceleration? Being pushed back in the seat? A 15HP increase would be hard to feel....How did you come to the conclusion "I do have gains"?? Be Leary of those "butt dyno" results....undependable...

·
Registered
306 Posts
How are you measuring "improved" acceleration? Being pushed back in the seat? A 15HP increase would be hard to feel....How did you come to the conclusion "I do have gains"?? Be Leary of those "butt dyno" results....undependable...
Maybe 15HP would be hard to feel, maybe not... The feel of 15 extra HP on a 100HP car would be alot different than adding 15 to a 400HP car.

If $20.00 got him some enjoyment, great! I can say that my SXT sounded meaner with the AEM Brute Force CAI but I don't know that it did anything else.

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
Maybe 15HP would be hard to feel, maybe not... The feel of 15 extra HP on a 100HP car would be alot different than adding 15 to a 400HP car.

If $20.00 got him some enjoyment, great! I can say that my SXT sounded meaner with the AEM Brute Force CAI but I don't know that it did anything else.
But this forum is not about 100hp cars;)...posters need to be able to back up their claims or this forum just becomes another internet source of misinformation.....which actually it is going that way....lot of change here from earlier years..:nonod:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Yuro! I know what you mean. The factory hose is ribbed. The air looks like it will flow easier.

TNCHARGER: I know the feel before and after installing the CAI. There is a difference. I'm going to check my quarter mile times at some point to get data.

Gruvin: I think V6 owners will take all we can get.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Had an 89 chev cav 2.8
Long story short cuz this stupid tab erased eveyrything i typed, some ppl can feel subtle changes in their cars they drive every day.
Ppl were confused why my lil v6 would give them whiplash. Had a simple chrome intakes cai. Maybe it didnt boost hp much but it did something to make it launch right!
whether it does something or not, gz, the mod bug is with you lol

·
Registered
306 Posts
posters need to be able to back up their claims or this forum just becomes another internet source of misinformation.....which actually it is going that way....lot of change here from earlier years..:nonod:
While I agree with your line of thinking, I have also owned a 3.5L SXT and I know it likes the top end of the RPM band already. His statement of better smoother pulling at the top doesn't surprise me as the engine likes that part of the RPM band already and getting more air could help. Restriction of air flow would have been in the upper RPM band and if this reduced that restriction - it could have done as claimed.

There are plenty of others in this thread already that have said there is little gain from the use of a CAI including myself so it is not like it will be taken without the grain of salt...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will try and get some data.

I know my car; I know exactly how it performs and it does perform better. For a $20 upgrade it was an awesome deal. Stock 3.5L is sluggish and acceleration is poor. Predator + CAI seems to really wake it up. Believe me, I was skeptical of the CAI at first. It does help. It won't transform your V6 into a HEMI though. Nothing will do that.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
I will try and get some data.

I know my car; I know exactly how it performs and it does perform better. For a $20 upgrade it was an awesome deal. Stock 3.5L is sluggish and acceleration is poor. Predator + CAI seems to really wake it up. Believe me, I was skeptical of the CAI at first. It does help. It won't transform your V6 into a HEMI though. Nothing will do that.
Supercharger will help with that. A guy here has a V6 Challenger and beats R/Ts, and I think I've read he's beaten some SRTs as well, not 100% sure on that one though.

CAI does help but it's not going to do anything worth noting without that tuner. Tuners actually gives you real performance in a V6.; bolt ons not so much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts