Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Charger RT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm debating if I should add JBA Shorty Headers to my 2019 Dodge Charger RT. I've done it to a 2010 Ford Mustang V6, and I noticed the difference now I can only imagine with this 5.7 hemi. I would love some thoughts from people who might have switched their headers.

Please advise. Thank you.

·
Registered
561 Posts
For the effort/ labor cost, shorties aren't worth it. Long tubes and a tune will get you a better gain for your investment.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Charger RT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I'm wondering if Long Tubes will be an issue here in California.

·
Registered
136 Posts
No CA smog legal long tubes for any cars as far as I know (mustangs, camaros, Charger/Challengers)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
if you're in CA the only header option is OEM fit shorty headers that are CARB approved (EO Exemption). There may be other brands that have CARB approval (I don't know) but JBA shorty headers are approved (CARB EO # D-57-35). They cost a little more money but spend the extra for ceramic coated headers rather than the plain stainless steel headers. The ceramic coating will last longer and reduce engine compartment temperatures. Also use Mopar header gaskets rather than the JBA gaskets.
MOPAR OEM 6.1L SRT-8 D-Port Exhaust Manifold (Header) Gasket Set 05038098AA-99AA

After the cost of the headers comes the cost of installation. I had mine installed at a custom exhaust shop and it took them 6 hrs. (a record fast time). It cost me $600 but I got quotes from other shops that ran as high as $1200 (they also wanted the car for two days). Below are the installation instructions if you want to install them yourself. Most owners who did their own installation reported 8 - 12 hrs.to complete the install.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0247/6913/4628/files/1964S-1JS.pdf

Shorty headers don't require a custom tune like the long tubes. The factory tune will be able to adjust the fuel-trim (AFR - air/fuel ratio) over time. Will you notice a difference?
Yes, but by how much? I don't know for a factory tune. I had a custom tune on my engine prior to the headers. Then I installed the headers and had the tune updated. The difference I noticed was the engine revved quicker, held the RPMs better and had better torque. In general the engine seemed to breathe better ... which isn't too surprising since the factory cast iron exhaust headers are restrictive when compared to the JBA headers (see image below).

Are the headers worth the expense? That's a personal choice. They are not going to gain you gobs of HP/TQ. The cost is ~$100 per HP gained. But if you're like me and can't stand the thought of a V8 Hemi running on factory log-style exhaust manifolds instead of headers ... well the headers are worth every penny.

Factory cast iron exhaust manifold

JBA (1964S-1JS) silver ceramic coated headers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts