Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay. Our cars don't have emergency brakes. They have foot brakes. However, Sam Hubinette, the driver for the Mopar Drift Charger has (presumably) an ebrake in his car. I assume this because without it, it would make things rather difficult to pull of some manuevers, and being that he's one of the top 5 drivers, I don't want to assume that he's THAT good, or rather the other 60+ people not in the top 5 are that bad.

All that being said, his race car has obviously been prepped, but does anyone know if he has an e-brake in his SRT-8 (personal car) or if there's a kit for one. I've seen it drift and it's admitedly not as good, control wise, as his pro-car. So I was just curious if anyone had any info on that.

I also want to say, I'm not asking for drift lessons so I don't need a bunch of "he probably just powers over" responses. Even if that were true, it would be to initiate a drift. To substain it at angles, he would need something other than raw power. Plus his personal car isn't very modified performance wise.

Here's an engine shot:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Okay. Our cars don't have emergency brakes. They have foot brakes. However, Sam Hubinette, the driver for the Mopar Drift Charger has (presumably) an ebrake in his car. I assume this because without it, it would make things rather difficult to pull of some manuevers, and being that he's one of the top 5 drivers, I don't want to assume that he's THAT good, or rather the other 60+ people not in the top 5 are that bad.

All that being said, his race car has obviously been prepped, but does anyone know if he has an e-brake in his SRT-8 (personal car) or if there's a kit for one. I've seen it drift and it's admitedly not as good, control wise, as his pro-car. So I was just curious if anyone had any info on that.

I also want to say, I'm not asking for drift lessons so I don't need a bunch of "he probably just powers over" responses. Even if that were true, it would be to initiate a drift. To substain it at angles, he would need something other than raw power. Plus his personal car isn't very modified performance wise.

Here's an engine shot:

Thanks in advance.
He probably just powers over....

:) kidding.. I'd actually like to know this myself... never even though about it... but it cant be that hard to change the location of the e-brake..

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
should i quote you guys too and post all the same pictures again on a post right below?

yea his engine isnt super modified at all, its only got a CAI down in the bumper and a turbo. no biggie. its not like you can tell if hes got a new cam or anything. the heads are pretty much covered too.

altho he represents SRT in that car so he probably does leave the engine stock. the car obviously has new suspension tho

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
should i quote you guys too and post all the same pictures again on a post right below?

yea his engine isnt super modified at all, its only got a CAI down in the bumper and a turbo. no biggie. its not like you can tell if hes got a new cam or anything. the heads are pretty much covered too.

altho he represents SRT in that car so he probably does leave the engine stock. the car obviously has new suspension tho
Supercharger

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
im always facetious. im not always wrong. but i am a lot of times :)

btw, what are you smelling? your keyboard? whats it smell like?

my point still stands! its definately not modified at all.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
the brakes are modified [adjustable brake poportion valve] and e brake handle on the pro car.

Thanks [email protected] I'm gonna assume that ABBV is hella expensive and he only has it cuz he's Mopar's driver, but do you know if it's something that could be put in without having to have a franchise budget? I ask because I know there are other Mopar made drift vehicles (I know at least 3 Vipers and maybe 1 other charger) but I know they're not all sponsored by Mopar. I doubt the Vipers would need it, but if there is in fact another Charger out there, it might need it...or, if the replacement of the e-brake would be something a regular mechanic could do? Looks to me like it would be as simple as moving the cable to a different spot, drilling, inserting neccessary hardware, and re-tightening cable. But, I'm not looking at the setup right now so I could be wrong.

And, dudeIwin86, forced induction isn't heavily modified. To pop on his SC kit, he didn't have to do internal work. Extensive amounts of power isn't enough to control a drift let alone control angle or switch it. So, supercharger withstanding, he would still need some sort of easy access brake set-up to be the UBER great Mopar driver he is.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
GO TO-www.LOKAR.com they have the e brake handles and summit racing sells them and the brake poportion valves. but it's not going to be a bolt in mod. theres some custom fabing you will have to do. the poportion valve lets you controllthe brake pressure between the front and rear brakes so you can loosen up on the rear brakes pressure and when you hit the brakes theres little or no pressure on the rear brakes so you can throttle then gas and double foot the brakes so the rear brakes dont drag the rear wheels down and if need be the driver can use the hand brake to tighting up the rear brakes or they can twist the nob on the top of the poportion valve on the fly to bring the rear brakes into play- but on your stock charger the abs system and esp wont like it and will most likely have problems. pro drift cars are set up this way and of course they are striped down with little or no computor interference

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah. I was thinking it would be an issue for the ABS system, but I never thought about the esp. I really was just thinking of doing a replacement e-brake for the car, but in retrospect, I should probably just stick to getting another, MUCH less expensive car. I know how stressful drifting is on cars and I really don't need to put an ebrake in a Charger. That would just tempt me. I don't drive hard now so no need to start. I'll just keep looking for a Lexus SC300. I know I can find one around here somewhere that has a good body since for some reason, they're considered luxury. I'll just keep the Charger as the daily cruiser/occassional bruiser.:)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
the lexus gs 300 is the worst lexus ever made but all reports. they dont hold their value at all and make a great drift car. a 99 or 2000 is only worth around $4000 in mint shape if you total it by insurance standards. my buddy just had a fire on his and its totaled with only 25000 miles on the clock and the insurance company offered him 2800 for it and after some research we found out it was really worth around 4500 tops for a 2000 model year. and that was by a body shop adjustment book.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah. I'm thinking now is the best time for them cuz I know if they get popular, the price will SKYROCKET like the 240 did. Plus, I'm kinda sick of driving 240's. I like'em and all, don't get me wrong, but I just want something different that's comparible. A buddy of mine had one done up at Battleground Performance in Atlanta right before he went overseas. I got to drive that a few times, and the 1JZ and 6spd manual makes them very fun. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts