Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just asking to see how long it would take to install a CAT back and shorties on a 2006 Charger r/t. I know just the cat back is easy but is it a PIA to install the shorty headers? I figure if I was to do the cat back might as well do the headers at the same time. Also this car is from the north east so there is a bit of salty road love to the underside. When I had the motor mounts replaced they had to cut one of the bolts out.Just trying to see what I am getting my self into if I do the headers too. thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
It took my local custom exhaust shop 6 hrs. to install JBA shorty headers on my 2012 R/T. No complications. Arizona car with no rust. They spray a crap load of penetrating oil on the exhaust manifold bolts and wait for it to work. Depending on the condition of the bolts the car may need to sit overnight. You don't want any of the bolts breaking off in the aluminum heads. They have to remove all heat shields, motor mounts, etc ... and raise the engine an inch or two for clearance.
I recommend you use Mopar OEM exhaust manifold gaskets for the headers. They work much better than the aftermarket gaskets that come with the headers. The 2009+ 5.7L Eagle engine has the "D" shaped ports. The 2003 - 2008 5.7L engine has the square shaped ports. The square port gaskets are Mopar part number 53013943AA-44AA. The "D" port gaskets are Mopar part number 5038098AA-99AA.

Obviously you can buy them at the dealership Parts Dept but I bought mine from HHP (High Horse Performance) where I bought the headers. High Horse Performance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So 6 hours at $90/hr labor ends up being pretty high for me for the age and milage of the Charger. So we will see. I know an easy bolt on cat back should be between 1-2 hrs.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
6 hours at $90/hr labor
That's what it ended up costing. Other shops quoted me as much as two days and $1K to $1.2K for the same installation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok well looks like I’ll just be doing the cat back. Not going to add a grand into it.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Good choice, Shorty Headers will not give you that much hp that you would be able to tell with the 5.7L. No noticeable gains in the seat. Longtubes would give you a decent gain but you would need a tuner and custom tune..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good choice, Shorty Headers will not give you that much hp that you would be able to tell with the 5.7L. No noticeable gains in the seat. Longtubes would give you a decent gain but you would need a tuner and custom tune..
I have a tuner and could get it custom tuned but long tunes are just as extensive if not more of an install than the shorties. So looks like I’d just do the cat back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts