Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 RT with about 7,000 miles on it. It has the 18" Goodyear Assurance 225/60's on it, and shimmies at 35 mph and 70 mph. Interestingly enough, the problem seems worse when the car has sit for many hours (or overnight). The problem lessens after about 15 minutes of driving, but does not go completely away. The shimmy is more noticeable at 35 mph, than 70. The dealer balanced the tires for me at 3,000 miles which helped, but did not totally clear up the problem. When I brought it back in just about a week ago, I complained again about the problem and really insisted that I wasn't going to take it back until it was fixed. Long story short, I took the service manager for a ride and demonstrated the problem, and after a long discussion convinced him that they needed to put four new tires and wheels on my car to convince me that the problem was not in the tires and wheels. We compromised on taking a new car out for a test ride. We searched the lot for the exact same tires and wheels, and sure enough, the last car we looked at had the same tires and wheels. Turns out, it also had the exact same shimmy! Seems that there may have been a bad batch of tires put on our cars. The problem has not been resolved yet, but they were going to check some stuff with the factory, and it looks like they'll be giving me four new tires. Will post again when problem is corrected.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
i've seen lots of these issues on new cars at the dealers and it comes from tires being improperly stored at the factory before wheel install. When tires sit they should be on the sidewall but most factories i've been in have them in tire racks straight up. This time at the tire manufacture, and then at the factory, can add up and create a flat spot in the tire. Continentals on fords were terrible about this and when we discussed it in training we found that i tire can sit on the shelf up to two years being brand new before it gets installed. New tires will solve your issue

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Wee bit outta round..................

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had the same shimmy problem on mine. They only seemed to find one tire that couldn't balance and replaced it. Guess what? The new tire was even worse.... and horrible road noise when driving on the highway, they replace it again and it's better but still have the shimmy on the highway.
I have to find a dealer with a Road force balance machine to see if they are out of round....

·
Registered
85 Posts
"Interestingly enough, the problem seems worse when the car has sit for many hours (or overnight). The problem lessens after about 15 minutes of driving"

This are typical symptoms of flat-spotting. Often more apparent when the temperature drops.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am currently having the same problem. For a second, I thought you stole my car. I think I have reserved to buying new tires. I have had the tire dealer and dodge to try and balance the tires with no luck. Dodge road force balanced them and it did nothing.

It does work as an amazing negotiating tactic with the wife for 20's

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...it sure is annoying...new car and it has more shimmy than my other two cars and they have 175K and 130K miles on them. Will keep the post updated once dealer solves the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Charger Shimmy

Guys, I couldn't belive it when I saw your thread about the shimmy. I have had he same exact problem, same speeds. I just picked up the car from the dealer for the second time and it still shimmys. I was even told that one of my rims was bent, and I spent 150 dollars to make sure it was straight and round. The problem was still there. I have 22,000 miles on the car (it is my wife's car and she baby's it) and the tires will need to be replaced within 7-9000 miles if not sooner. The tire are frequently balanced and rotated. I personally check and maintain the air pressure. I do not know what to do or where to turn. I am afraid that if I buy new tires, the new tires will cover up the problem until I get 10-20,000 miles on the car, and then the problem comes back. Please let me know what you determine. Thanks a bunch guys, it really helps to know that I am not having to go thru this by myself. Keith:knockout:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Goodyear has a reputation for manufacturing oblong tires lately. I went through this with the Lincoln LS I traded on my Charger. I went through 2 sets of Goodyears trying to get some that were round and finally gave up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shimmy

Goodyear has a reputation for manufacturing oblong tires lately. I went through this with the Lincoln LS I traded on my Charger. I went through 2 sets of Goodyears trying to get some that were round and finally gave up.
What tires did you get? I want to stay with a tour type tire instead of a high preformance tire. I am thinking about the Michelin Primacy MXV4. I read that the BF Goodrich tire is also pretty good. NO MORE GOODYEARS! keith

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
its really not goodyears fault guys. I dont like good year by anymeans but anyone that had that tire, dealer, factory, or whereever could have contributed to its warping and ruining the radial runout.
bridgestone bridgestone bridgestone

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just got my Charger back from the tire shop. They were able to finally determine that one of the tires is out of whack (his words). After I gave him the "well that's what I have been telling you guys", he said they were going to order me two new tires at no charge and it should fix the problem. If not, they will replace the other two.

I should have the new tires by next friday. I'll post the outcome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shimmy

I just got my Charger back from the tire shop. They were able to finally determine that one of the tires is out of whack (his words). After I gave him the "well that's what I have been telling you guys", he said they were going to order me two new tires at no charge and it should fix the problem. If not, they will replace the other two.

I should have the new tires by next friday. I'll post the outcome.
Hi Guys, I purchased the Michelin Primacy tire and the shimmy problem is GONE. Man these tires are so smooth!! If you have a shimmy and the Goodyear tires, get rid of them. Problem solved.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...the saga continues for me...just got the car back from the "authorized" Goodyear dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with the tires, but that they were out of balance. This is the second time these tires have been balanced in the last 3000 miles. Both times the problem did get better, but wasn't ever completely resolved. I still have a shimmy that I can feel in my butt at 35 mph. The wheel shake isn't that noticeable, but you can still feel a right to left to right shake in the seat of your pants at 35. I talked to the dealer about it, and was assured that they will give me a car next week to drive until they fix it. He said he was gonna take the tires off a 300 and put them on and see if the problem goes away, and then work backwards from there. I can't imagine that I have a bent rim with Aluminum wheels. It has to be a tire issue. The Goodyear dealer said the next place he'd look is at a drivetrain vibration, like a drive shaft out of balance or something...sounds awfully suspicious to me...stay tuned.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
174 Posts
i had the same problem with my stratus came to find out yes Badyears tires they couldnt get them to ballance out all the way put new tires on and all was good

·
Registered
174 Posts
then again have them rotate your tires and have some fun and smokem to the rims

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
then again have them rotate your tires and have some fun and smokem to the rims
I would if I could, but I can't really smoke em...even with the key esp disable mod. I haven't powerbraked yet, but if I jump on it from a standstill, I get about 1 second of rubber, then launch. It sure helps on 0-60 times, but unless there is some moisture on the road, I can't smoke em. Maybe once I get the torque converter I will be able to...or maybe once my diablo arrives, that will help???

1 - 20 of 46 Posts