Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have read quite a few messages about the dreadful shimmy when driving in the 30-40 mph range and the 60-70 mph range. I have had my car to the dealer 5 times. Bought new Michelin tires, balanced, etc,etc. Still shimmy. I asked my local dealer if he had any other complaints and he said no, now which I am beginning to not believe it. Maybe if we had a list of people with the same problem, we could get the dealer or Dodge to fix the problem. Dodge has to know of this problem. I suggest we list our name (first name, username, whatever) if you are having the shimmy problems I listed above. I will take this list to the dealer and say, look how many people are having this problem, and this is only the people who participate at the Charger forum. How do you guys feel about trying the list??

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Its been in and out of the dealer for brake problems for months. Both calipers replaced, left tie rod replaced. wheels rebalanced. Now they are telling me that the new rotors that were replace on the car 5k miles ago are warped.

I get steering wheel vibration at 30-40mph when braking vibration appears in that range even when braking at a higher speed. And I get a general steering wheel vibration at 70-80 on highways, no braking occurring.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If it's braking then it is probably rotors. I bought Toyo Proxxes 4 last year for my SRT. Had vibration from the start with them. Took them back to rebalance (Road Force everytime) Then would get the vibration between 70 and 80. Multiple trips to Tires Choice since I had lifetime balance, 3 centercaps, stripped lugnuts and lost wheel key later, I was told it was bent rims and it balanced fine. I called BS on that so went to another place and didn't tell them about the issues, just said I needed a balance. They balance them and again vibration. I take it back to them and they check it again and say most 1/2 oz out. During the last year, had alignments, replaced rotors, tie rods, bushings, everthing since the vibration was pi$$ing me off. I check the tires while up in the air and they are out of round. Take the car back to the place I bought them. The manager says you bought tires that have no warrantee. Why didn't you bring them back at the beginning. Told him I did numerous times, and all the damage they did along the way from the multiple Tires Choice locations I took it too. He said that there was nothing they were going to do since there is no warrantee on the Toyo's. I told him to get me the corporate number and he wouldn't. I did get the district managers number. He came the next day and checked the tires. They were out of round. You would think that Tires Choice would have noticed that all the times I took it back. They said bent rims but my rims ended up being fine. I had to pay some for the tires but got 4 new ones (Not Toyos since mine sucked). No vibration and great ride. Check for out of round tires.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have had vibration at 80 mph since day one. I work at a dealership and balanced the tires so many times, I can't count. It would get better, but never perfect. I always figured it was the F1s. I recently bought Toyos and thought that would be it. Same shimmy at 80. Rebalanced a few times. What is interesting is that the shake is horrific for about the first 60 seconds of freeway driving and then settles down to an intermittent shake, as if it goes in and out of phase somehow. Has anyone tried replacing hubs for this? There MUST be a solution. BTW, having worked at Chrysler corporation dealers for six years now, yesterday was the first time an SRT8 customer came in with the same concern. His shake started after new tires were installed elsewhere. Rebalancing made it much better, but did not eliminate it. We've replaced tires on numerous SRT8s, including Toyos, on customer's vehicles, with no shimmy complaints. So either these people are ignorant/don't care, or this is somewhat isolated. On a personal note, I had a 2002 300M Special that I never could get to stop shaking and a 2005 STi that was always perfect.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
30-40 is suspension or a bad tire
60-75 is balance or driveshaft imbalance
vibration during braking is rotors

pretty much it in all situations. Its due to the frequency the things happen. a tire balance issue cant be felt below 40 mph i dont care what anyone says. The resonance from the tire leaving the highway and bouncing doesnt happen until the speed is high enough for the wheel to leave the highway as it bounces. From 30-40 balance plays little to know role in static or dymnamic imbalance, however if belts have slipped in the tire this is felt because its like an egg being in the tire circumfrence so its felt at the lower speeds but hardly noticeable at highway speeds. With rotors they are out of the picture at all times the brake pedal is not being pressed.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
The rotors on the Chargers are awful - I need to get mine replaced.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Accepting that it must be balance, why can't it be balanced out? I feel beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is something involving rotating mass. I keep thinking about the hubs.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
the brakes on these cars are not any good. i have complaned since day one no luck. i am going to change mine out

·
Registered
242 Posts
If the tire is shaped like an egg it will still balance but you will have vibration. Thats what I had with 3 out of 4 of my toyo's. Jack up the car with tires on and look for tire hop. I had my toyos replaced and vibration was gone. That was after 3 different tire shops road forcing at least 20 times over the year. Replacing rotors, tie rods, bushings, ect. I'm smooth as glass right now for the past few months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts