Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  1. Hi guys I've been a proud papa of a 2013 dodge charger se since her tires left the factory floors. I'm proud to say after 7 beautiful years and 156k miles on her, she has finally taken her last breath. NOW my delema! I am literally in the middle of purchasing a new house so financing a new Mopar is not an option right now. I have about 7k cash to rebuild my beauty so my question, is it worth it to replace the v6 with another v6 or is it possible since I'm doing an engine swap anyways to upgrade to a 5.7l hemi. Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My car is a 2013 3.6l with 6speed transmission....I have my eye on a 2015 5.7l with 8speed transmission with 48k miles on it for $3K is this conversion possible? Or should I focus on 5.7l from 2011-2014? Or just replace it with another 3.6?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
That's not a particularly hard engine to find used in good shape. You should be able to find a decent one for about $1500. I don't think I'd want to bother with a 5.7 swap on that car.

Reactions: ricocharge

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I'd second that, you should be able to find a good quality used 3.6 for a good price well below what you have on hand. It'll then just be a simple swap and you won't have to worry about all of the non motor related differences between a 3.6 and 5.7 are. Much less of a headache, and easier on your wallet as well.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I would stick with the 3.6, too many things are different between it and the 5.7 (computer stuff mainly, but also transmission, brakes, etc). What exactly happened to "blow" up the engine?

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Rio:
Sorry to hear of the bad luck on your engine. With the financial situation a hand, your best bet is to find a compatible, low(er) mileage replacement 3.6L.

BTW, your Charger already has the 8 speed trans (started in 2012) unless it's a police car. The V8 swap can be an uphill battle, unless this is not your DD, and you can leave it sit and do it as time allows. As mentioned, you will also want to upgrade the brakes among other things.

Don

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Stick with the engine your car is matted with unless you just need headaches and added costs during the time you're buying a house.
  1. Hi guys I've been a proud papa of a 2013 dodge charger se since her tires left the factory floors. I'm proud to say after 7 beautiful years and 156k miles on her, she has finally taken her last breath. NOW my delema! I am literally in the middle of purchasing a new house so financing a new Mopar is not an option right now. I have about 7k cash to rebuild my beauty so my question, is it worth it to replace the v6 with another v6 or is it possible since I'm doing an engine swap anyways to upgrade to a 5.7l hemi. Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.
Obviously replacing a 3.6 with a 3.6 is plug and play, but go ahead and make a comprehensive list of things to facilitate an upgrade from the 3.6 to a 5.7L. Then figure out where and how much a used 5.7 costs including all the items on the laundry list, then make the decision. I won't step on your ambitions and goals but will say you will probably run into hiccups along the way.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
To the OP, either drop the 3.6 back in and trade it for a HEMI car or sell it as is and get a HEMI car. The sheer cost of the swap will be much higher than just buying say a 2011-2012 HEMI. If you don’t care about generation the 2006-2010 HEMI Chargers are pretty cheap. This isn’t 1985, you cannot relatively easily and cheaply swap a smaller engine for a larger engine.

BTW, your Charger already has the 8 speed trans (started in 2012) unless it's a police car.
Not all 2012-2014 Charger 3.6s got the 8spd. It was an option. I know this because when I was shopping for a new 2014 back in the day I chose to add that option and I test drove both. Pretty easy to tell them by the console shifter used.

5spd:

8spd:

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
My 2013 SE had the old NAG1 five speed--I did not l want the 8 speed in the 2012-2014 models years because it did not have Auto Stick--I like to be able to choose my own gear when I want. Thankfully they fixed that boo-boo in the 2015 models because the 8 speed is about 1,500% better than the 5 speed !

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
JCE:
Thanks for the reminder. I think when he wrote 6 speed, that threw me off, as I knew there never was a 6 speed. We know that the LE cars both 6 and 8 cyl had the Nag1 until recently. I wonder if the NAG was offered to the rental companies beyond what we could buy? I am pretty sure that the '14 Charger rental we had back in '15 on a visit to Ft. Lauderdale. I recall that '14 having the same shifter as my R/T which of course is in the first pic.

I'll also admit to not caring for the 8 speed shifter shown. At the time, my '14 punch list included the Hemi, and AWD, which we all know dictated the 5 speed.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
JCE:
Thanks for the reminder. I think when he wrote 6 speed, that threw me off, as I knew there never was a 6 speed. We know that the LE cars both 6 and 8 cyl had the Nag1 until recently. I wonder if the NAG was offered to the rental companies beyond what we could buy? I am pretty sure that the '14 Charger rental we had back in '15 on a visit to Ft. Lauderdale. I recall that '14 having the same shifter as my R/T which of course is in the first pic.

I'll also admit to not caring for the 8 speed shifter shown. At the time, my '14 punch list included the Hemi, and AWD, which we all know dictated the 5 speed.
Sure thing. I really loved my ‘14 SE with the 8spd and the “performance suspension pkg”. And of course when it came to get my first HEMI I absolutely HAD to get an 8spd. Though if my ‘14 had been a HEMI to start with I would still have it.

My 2013 SE had the old NAG1 five speed--I did not l want the 8 speed in the 2012-2014 models years because it did not have Auto Stick--I like to be able to choose my own gear when I want. Thankfully they fixed that boo-boo in the 2015 models because the 8 speed is about 1,500% better than the 5 speed !
The Tazer unlocked the ability to use the steering wheel buttons to change gear while in sport mode on my ‘14. I didn’t use it because I’m not a fan of flappy paddle / manual mode automatics. My 8spd was still pretty awesome as I’m sure you remember me saying way back when. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would stick with the 3.6, too many things are different between it and the 5.7 (computer stuff mainly, but also transmission, brakes, etc). What exactly happened to "blow" up the engine?
Not sure actually, I let my brother borrow it for about a month, he called me from auto shop telling him he blew the engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys I really appreciate everyone's advice! I'm really not sure exactly what happened, I borrowed it to my brother for a month or so and out the blue he called me from an auto shop letting me know the bad news. If I'm not mistaking they told me over the phone it was a busted water pump which then blew a gasket or something. I do plan on getting a second opinion before I make any moves. But I think I might just replace the 3.6 to avoid any extra headaches. Again thank you guys so much!

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
That isn't a "blown engine" by any means..guess it depends on how long you brother drove while it was overheated. Many times having the cylinder head resurfaced is enough, somtimes a whole new head is needed, just depends on how much damage he did.

If it were my brother he would be paying the repair bill or buying the car from me for BLUE BOOK price.

I NEVER let my brothers drive my cars, they are know-nothing numb skulls when it comes to mechanical stuff, they fix their cars with their check books.)

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I NEVER let my brothers drive my cars
^ This. And I never let ANYONE drive my car except my wife and the mechanics who do any repairs/state inspection. Most people don’t respect others’ property I’ve found. And family can be the worst offender.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Ok..OP..looks like this guy is 80% complete with his Hemi swap..
You may be in luck..assuming you are mechanically inclilned after seeing all that he is going through, lol.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Ok..OP..looks like this guy is 80% complete with his Hemi swap..
You may be in luck..assuming you are mechanically inclilned after seeing all that he is going through, lol.

Way too much work and money for my taste...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts