Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Well, since i got my charger 2008 3.5 i've been using shell V-power 91(no ethanol).

Shell claim that their "Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System, removes build-ups from vehicle’s intake valves and fuel injectors, making your engine cleaner and protecting it from developing additional build-up. With five times the amount of cleaning agents required by the Canadian national standards for detergency in gasolines. Shell V-Power gasoline provides maximum protection."

So i was wondering if that's really true and their gasoline is so good?
Also, will this hurt my car since in the manual it says that recommended octane is 89?

Any thoughts, suggestions and/or recommendations will be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi guys,

Well, since i got my charger 2008 3.5 i've been using shell V-power 91(no ethanol).

Shell claim that their "Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System, removes build-ups from vehicle’s intake valves and fuel injectors, making your engine cleaner and protecting it from developing additional build-up. With five times the amount of cleaning agents required by the Canadian national standards for detergency in gasolines. Shell V-Power gasoline provides maximum protection."

Also, will this hurt my car since in the manual it says that recommended octane is 89?

IIRC all there grade is Nitrogen Enriched, also no 91 will not harm your engine. They recommend you to use min 89 thats what that means.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Damn, I'm in chemistry this semester, and I keep meaning to ask my instructor about that nitrogen stuff.

·
Vendor
10,338 Posts
Hi guys,

Ok, this is something that I am asked about on a regular basis.

It is important to understand that Nitrogen based cleaning agents have been around for many years. Nitrogen based detergents do some good in cleaning injectors. However, the thing is that they don't put more in than is deemed necessary for a keep clean only! It is very carefully worded "making your engine cleaner and protecting it from developing additional build-up" It still doesn't go anywhere near far enough to be a get clean and keep clean that it should be.

I do recommend using Shell because they have the highest motor octane value and that is good for pushing the car for more performance.

The octane value of the fuel alone does nothing for power as I have said before. You want the lowest octane fuel you can get without detonation. Do not worry about the 91 octane fuel. Your car has a 10:1 to 1 compression ratio, so you could see a little more performance out of the compressability of the fuel, but not necessarily more fuel economy. Using 89 octane fuel will probably give you virtually the same power and give you good fuel economy too.

What you really need is utilization of BTU in the fuel. That is what you are really after. Detergency that really makes a difference, ignition improving that utilizes the energy more effectively, and adding lubricity to reduce the ring and bore wear with stem and guide wear reductions as well. This ACES IV accomplishes. It has much more detergency then Shell fuel alone, and will get clean and keep clean the system. It will accomplish what the gasoline alone will never do. Protect your engine and fuel systems and create better throttle response, 600% less ring and bore wear while achieving 360% less stem and guide wear too!:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have noticed on both of the my chargers, that Shell is the best gas in to use. I used to have a 3.5, and used Shell 91 octane. I get better performance and an overall better "feeling" car using Shell. When I don't use Shell, I feel the difference.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
strange and interesting stuff............everytime ive used shell in my car, my car ran the second to worst its ever ran.............when I datalogged my tune with shell gas, my knock was all over the place, when on that same tune using mobil gas, everything was perfect..................the worst its ever ran was using chevron gas, and that is a "top tier" brand as well

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
my hemi tick is getting worse with my predator tune. do you notice it any less with a better gas or do i need an additive to get rid of it?

·
Vendor
10,338 Posts
my hemi tick is getting worse with my predator tune. do you notice it any less with a better gas or do i need an additive to get rid of it?
The Hemi Tick is a combination of injector ticking, piston slap, and exhaust valve noise. It is addressed with ACES IV in the gasoline and QuantumBlue Custom Blended Lubricants in the bottom end.

These two together stop the annoying noise you are speaking about.

Here is a link discussing it earlier for your review!

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123111

Regards,

Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
It's been a while since I really did any "comparison" testing with different gases, but back several years ago when I was still in Central Cali, with my truck, it got the best performance(acceleration, 1/4 times), but worste gas mileage using 76 gas, but got the best gas mileage on Shell. With the way the gas prices were in Cali though, I didn't get that much better performance running the top tier gas as opposed to the cheaper chain station gas(usually FastTrip), so I usually ran the cheaper stuff for daily driving and only put in the "good" stuff when I went to the track. Here in the midwest, almost every station has the same prices within a few cents no matter what the name on the pump says, so I usually fill up with BP, or Phillips 66 since they are the most convenient for me. The closest Shell station is a 6 miles drive out of my way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Something to think about-Who runs the "top tier" website? There is no information on who they are. For me, that makes any info they list junk!

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Not sure who "runs the website", but the Top Tier designation has the blessing of Mercedes, BMW, and a few other high end brands. Sort of the SRT of fuel, is the way its supposed to be. Taken those extra steps to ensure highest quality.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts