Charger Forums banner

Shaker System

6K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  Matt400 
#1 ·
All,

Been doing some research for a shaker hood. It looks like from searching around the forum, the Mopower is better than the CDC.

Where can I purchase the Mopower? I am new to dodge so I am not familiar with all the sites. Also, any thoughts on the shaker? I have an 06 RT.

Thanks.

#5 ·
Crazy luck, what does a whole setup like that run you? I would love to do this, but it seems like its gonna cost quite a bit... What was the cost of everything, from initial purchase, to paint, to installation? Thanks in advance!

-Pat
Well, mine was a little cheaper because I managed to get in on the only group buy mopower offered on the shaker setup. The kit price he has listed on dankoreproductions.com is what he normally charges I guess. As for paint/install it was right around $400~500, but I'm not 100% sure what it cost because I had a few other things done. Of course, it'll vary by shop. The shop that did mine had already done one on a Magnum, so I knew they'd have no problems. You could save money and do the install yourself (if you talk to mopower, he can give you a link to a full install step-by-step) and just have it painted.

#8 ·
lol. i love the color matched shades on the dash ;)

#9 ·
You keep your hood, but you put a big hole in it. It comes with the skaker mount, hood trim ring, hood reinforcement panel and all the hardware needed. There are 2 kits - a base kit (like the one I got) and the sealed kit which directs the air into the stock airbox and most CAI boxes. The base just pushes the air over the engine, which is all I really needed as I haven't seen anything that justifies the sealed unit on a Daytona for power improvement.

This is what the kit looks like:

#11 ·
So I have an aftermarket cold air intake now.... am I going to be able to keep this on? I have seen pics of other people's set-ups and they have tubing run from the shaker intake to the spot where the air intake actually hooks up at. Im assuming thats the sealed kit you were talking about?

Also, I am all about do-it-yourself projects, and the painting I wouldn't really have a problem with doing myself..... but I don't think I could handle taking any type of cutting tool to my hood!!! If I got this, Id be leaving it up to the body shop for sure I think.

-Pat

#13 ·
i look forward to seeing their design then. i wasnt too fond of their old one compared to this one here ;)

#17 ·
My thread got hijacked pretty bad, huh.

I just need one simple question answered...

What is the best Shaker system out there, and where do I buy it??

I haven't been able to get ahold of Mopower, as it sounds from others like the best one...

I need to buy it soooon. Thanks guys!

#18 ·
www.dankoreproductions.com < click on "exterior body parts" and choose your car (Charger) and scroll down. That is the one mopower sells (although he is not a supporting vendor on CHargerforums, but you might be able to get in touch with him on lxforums where he is a supporting vendor).

CDC is releasing their new design at SEMA, but if its anything like the last redesign, I'd walk away from it...

#20 ·
ok so here's a question, does this do anything for performance? i've heard it dosen't but i wasn't sure. maybe teh sea;ed kit does better for performance if it uses the CAI intake spots. anyone have any input on that?

#22 ·
Mopower indicates that the customers who have done the sealed version have felt gains. It's a sweet set up!!

For the people wondering about the water..
It has gullies and tubing to catch the water and run it out under the car.

#23 ·
If I had seen a shaker setup first, I would have gone that route over the ram air hood. I think it is the best hood option in terms of appearance.

#24 ·
IMO not too big of a fan of these shakers, they sit too low and I dont like the HUGE trim piece that goes over the hole. ive seen two in person and was not impressed. that being said I DO like shakers and wish there was one that was more to my taste

#26 ·
Basic or did you have some things addded?

#27 ·
Its the basic I ordered it after the cdc flew apart at the dragstrip and busted my windshield. It just took so long to get it that Id already gone another route by the time it arrived.

#31 ·
Bummer...yeah, unfortunately, their scoop is held on with ball pop-nuts like the ones that hold on the factory engine cover, and the only insurance that it will not fly away is the trim ring which mounts only with double sticky tape. I would imagine that they are redesigning it for that reason since that sounds pretty dangerous.

#29 ·
I dont know, they may not be the same ones as ive seen in person but the two I have seen I was not a fan of. They didnt look all that clean and the hood came like 1/3 or so of the way up over the inlets of the scoop.

#30 ·
i have one of the cdc shakers on mine its a functional ram air to cai with the seal an i put old cuda styl hood pins b cuse u lose a lot of the support in the hood when u cut that bug a$$ hole in in an it had sum flex. but mine works well so far no problems with it. plus its sexy

#32 ·
i havent had any problems with my cdc shaker

#33 ·
I went to a car show this weekend.... more than a dozen tricked-out modern Chargers were there.... no one sporting a shaker hood. I can't wait to get mine installed! It's sure to turn some heads!

#34 ·
A shaker makes these vehicles, period; The MoPower unit is visibly more pleasing and in keeping with the historical association of shakers on MOPAR's.

However I intensely disliked the fact that the manufacturer would not commit to a delivery date. I had to wait on "his" time to come up with a projected time of delivery. Not the way I do business, but oh well.

I plumbed mine into my existing AFE II airbox, I had to modify the forward drip rail on the lower shaker pan to fit around the intake tube. Worked out fine:

When I finished fitting and painting the trim ring, I cut the hood opening and fitted the base assembly to the engine. It took me an afternoon to complete. As you can see, I took the time to fit the trim ring properly, as in it follows the front hoodline breaks. There is technically a (negligeable) performance gain as a result of drawing external (cooler) ambient rather than heated underhood air...but only when you are moving.

Take your time, and ensure the trim ring follows the contours of your hood...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.