Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going over the instructions I had a few questions-

Step #8 says (4) 1/4-20 flange nuts. I found in the kit: regular nuts, flat and lock washers. Not enough room for the locks so should I get some flange nuts or not use the locks?

Step #21 calls for PL premium glue, was it suppose to be in the kit? I did a google for that glue and find there are several different part numbers with the same title so don't know which PL premium glue to use and how much to get?

Step #25 says to load "both epoxy adhesives" neither of these were included in the kit, what kind of epoxy adhesive is recommended?

Step #27 says to use the squeegee provided, didn't get that either but I can manage if I know what two epoxy's should be used along with the contents size.

Step #33 says to bolt down the grilles into the scoop, nothing to bolt them to in there and we talked about that but remember someone posting a "how-to" on installing grille studs, I forgot where the post is. It would be helpful if you have a link on that "how-to"

·
Registered
624 Posts
Going over the instructions I had a few questions-

Step #8 says (4) 1/4-20 flange nuts. I found in the kit: regular nuts, flat and lock washers. Not enough room for the locks so should I get some flange nuts or not use the locks?

These were on the studs that attach to the top of the motor in my kit.

Step #21 calls for PL premium glue, was it suppose to be in the kit? I did a google for that glue and find there are several different part numbers with the same title so don't know which PL premium glue to use and how much to get?

This is the stuff I used, but you can also use Marine Adhesive. I think it is the 3m 5200 Marine Adhesive.

Either way get 2 of them standard caulk gun sized tubes.

http://www.stickwithpl.com/Products.aspx?ID=fef65cc9-47bf-4802-aaa9-a343f2ef9458

Step #25 says to load "both epoxy adhesives" neither of these were included in the kit, what kind of epoxy adhesive is recommended?

Step #27 says to use the squeegee provided, didn't get that either but I can manage if I know what two epoxy's should be used along with the contents size.

I used the same PL premium glue to fill the gap on the top of the hood and then around the inner edge of the lower ring to attach the upper ring. On the outside edge of the upper ring I used 3m double sided tape. One cant stress enough how important it is to get the upper ring centered on the hood. The 3m tape method offers little room for error.

Step #33 says to bolt down the grilles into the scoop, nothing to bolt them to in there and we talked about that but remember someone posting a "how-to" on installing grille studs, I forgot where the post is. It would be helpful if you have a link on that "how-to"

This is how I did it.....

If I had to do it again, I suppose I would use JB weld instead and I would put some notches in the head of the flatheads to give the putty more grip on them. I havent had a problem, it's just what I would do differant.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110210

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just finished up a 40 mile trip to 3 different stores in 2 counties and no PL Premium, closet thing was PL200 so didn't get any yet.

I am guessing the epoxy (which ever kind) is called out so the ring wont slip early in the job as the PL Premium is still soft 30 min later.
I would have rather paid extra on the kit to have everything thats needed.

Thanks for the link to your grille studs, do you know if the pads on the scoop are hollow or fiberglass filled?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Just finished up a 40 mile trip to 3 different stores in 2 counties and no PL Premium, closet thing was PL200 so didn't get any yet.

Maybe look for the 3m 5200 Marine Adhesive. Dont quote me, but I do seem to remeber Mo himself mentioning that the 5200 is just as good if not better then the PL.

I am guessing the epoxy (which ever kind) is called out so the ring wont slip early in the job as the PL Premium is still soft 30 min later.
I would have rather paid extra on the kit to have everything thats needed.

The Epoxy would give you some time to reposition the ring before it sets up, which is nice. If you use the double sided tape, you need to get it right the first time. No easy do overs.

Thanks for the link to your grille studs, do you know if the pads on the scoop are hollow or fiberglass filled?

The pads are solid fiberglass, they were on mine anyhow. I had to sand on em a bit to get the hex grills to fit nicely.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The pads are solid fiberglass, they were on mine anyhow. I had to sand on em a bit to get the hex grills to fit nicely.
In that case..and since I am using the standard wire mesh I am thinking of drilling a small under-size pilot hole for a short wood screw, maybe a dab of the PL in the hole first to act as a lock-tite.

Yet another venture out did located the PL Premium "construction" you linked to for use on the bottom brace so I got some of that. I PM'ed Mo about its use and why the Epoxy rather than the PLP for the top ring but nothing back yet.

The PL Premium threw me off cuz there is also this stuff that is PL Premium and Polyurethane. Then there is this pdf file on yet another PL Premium Polyurethane based one that calls out specifically for fiberglass use where the others don't. Couldn't find the 3M stuff around here. Just want to do the job one time with the recommended product.

Thanks for posting back!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts