Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hate to show my ignorance but does anyone know what a Shaker Hood is? Iv'e already ordered an R/T but I was looking on e-bay and this dealer had an R/T with a "Shaker Hood". It looked awsome. It even looked fuctional. Obviously some sort of intake.

BTW, they are asking way too much for the car. Almost 50 K.

Anybody know what it is?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
shaker hoods are from the earlier days of muscle cars... I'd tell you more about them but i wasn't around back then. Engines shake when they are running and even more when under power, this allows you to see the engine shake, hence the name shaker hood. But yeah it is a intake, a sweet one at that, there had been talk of functional shaker hoods for the charger, I had yet to see one until now. But for the love of mopar what the hell is with that grill! bling and old school muscle car don't mix.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Makes the car interesting and unique....

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Oh wow!

I can say no more.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Manris. I was around back then. As a kid anyway. Boy do I feel dumb. :embarrese

Anyway, I kinda like the look. It certainly separates the car from the rest. I even like the grill. (I wouldn't have it) But it does match the Shaker style. I said 50k but it's closer to 40k. If I could spend that much I'd be getting a SRT8.

I know it doesn"t mean anything but I got my VON# today. Patience is not my virtue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Interesting sticker shows $33,260.00 and it says retail value $39,960.00. With the discounts going on now the selling price should be about $31,500.00 less the repair to fix the hack job mods(look at the "trim ring" around the hood to cover the marks from the sawsall) and get some nice looking wheels.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess my old a$$ eyes didn't notice. They are definitely asking too much.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It's part of ur air intake....seen a lot on the old-school mopars...U lovin' it when it drops out after high rpms and that motors just a' shakin' give u better hp ..at least on the old ones..like ram air intake...

·
Registered
731 Posts
nahh man....doesn't look that great on the newer chargers...anyways..wasn't on the older ones...WHAT'D BE AWESOME IS A BIG OL' SUPERCHARGER AND BLOWER COMIN' OUT THE FRONT like in the fast n' furious movie...NOW THAT'S A HEMI!!! Even thoughh in the movie im pretty sure it's a 440

·
Registered
403 Posts
I need a shaker hood in the worst way. I have always wanted one but my last few vehicles have been 4 cyls and that would not be quite the effect.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Shaker Hoods.. Yes im in my 40's and i remember what they are because i owned a brand new 1977 Pontiac Can Am back then and it had the shaker hood just like the Trans Ams of those days. Cool cars!

That car on ebay is a dealer i had contacted about one of his Red R/T's he has up for auction on ebay also. He told me he was about to list that R/T on there with the shaker hood, but he didnt say he was going to try and rape someone on the pricing. WOW.. TOO HIGH! He also mentioned that they were having trouble with the installation of that shaker hood kit but managed to get this one done, so its aftermarket in his words. So i would investigate to see if the problem was with the intake or the hood before putting a shaker on it.
Oh i hate that grill on the R/T. YUK!

I was asking him about buying/ordering a Daytona and he was very high priced saying there wouldn't be any discounts on the Daytona's. HAHA! thats a lie because i found another dealership now willing to even go into their Dealer holdback money some to get me a few hundred under invoice.
I'm going to order the Yellow Daytona

Just have to shop guys, shop,shop,shop if you want a deal on anything

Good luck

·
Registered
403 Posts
They have a kit for the magnum so the shaker itself is correct for the Hemi they just used that part and cut the poor chargers hood to make it fit. I bet foose would do the same just a cleaner job.

·
Registered
549 Posts
This is the only Shaker Hood that I know of for any LX car that might work. But I only thought it was for a Magnum so I just dismissed it. Guess it could work on a Charger also but I would think there would be issues with the hood since the Magnum and Charger have different hood designs. It would be safe to assume that this would be the reason for the problem with installation since the kit was ment for a Magnum.

Later

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I got one of these kits, and I'm addressing the advertized functionality of this kit. There are two giant 3/4"x4" air leaks being the large hand grip cut outs on either side of the base of the scoop to pop off the scoop lid to add oil to the engine (holes easily seen in many pics with the hood up). Of course, you also have the 3 water drain holes that leak air at the bottom of the engine cover that drain the water away,and a large leak around the oil fill tube... you can count them in too. besides those, the scoop doesn't at all seal to the engine cover and the scoop base doesn't seal to the hood. Besides that, the puney 1.5"x4" single air port that supposedly shoots (even if it does that) air (across the hot engine bay area!) ONTO the air filter in a completely unsealed air box is just SILLY!... I guess just enough to advertize that it might have a function?!. Besides, on my 06 Charger, the factory air pick up is at the base of the air box that draws from just behind the front grille area. Shouldn't be any hot air in there. I just don't want anyone to think they will be getting a fully functional system like CDC misreapresents. NOT COOL. I can't even figure out how the heck I could ever make it a sealed system so it will do something.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
MoPower said:
I got one of these kits, and I'm addressing the advertized functionality of this kit. There are two giant 3/4"x4" air leaks being the large hand grip cut outs on either side of the base of the scoop to pop off the scoop lid to add oil to the engine (holes easily seen in many pics with the hood up). Of course, you also have the 3 water drain holes that leak air at the bottom of the engine cover that drain the water away,and a large leak around the oil fill tube... you can count them in too. besides those, the scoop doesn't at all seal to the engine cover and the scoop base doesn't seal to the hood. Besides that, the puney 1.5"x4" single air port that supposedly shoots (even if it does that) air (across the hot engine bay area!) ONTO the air filter in a completely unsealed air box is just SILLY!... I guess just enough to advertize that it might have a function?!. Besides, on my 06 Charger, the factory air pick up is at the base of the air box that draws from just behind the front grille area. Shouldn't be any hot air in there. I just don't want anyone to think they will be getting a fully functional system like CDC misreapresents. NOT COOL. I can't even figure out how the heck I could ever make it a sealed system so it will do something.
I thinnk I read something about this "kit". Did you have to cut a hole in your existing hood, too? Sounded very scary...

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yep, guys, face it, while a shaker looks cool, with the Hemi intake configuration, this just wont really work. Back in the day, like the day my 68 Cougar was made, when intakes dropped air right down the middle, it was great. Not so much anymore. Doing this for nostalgias sake is cool. Making it work isnt easy, if its possible.

Remember, airflow is not always intuitive. What seems like a good idea might not be. Hey Goofy, imagine a shaker on my SRT, it would rock fore and aft:) How funny would that be?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts