Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in my car this morning and got a message saying "service shifter". Came in the house and tried to Google it with very little info on subject. Went back out to car and message is gone now. Does anyone know what this means?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm going to assume your car is a 2012 or newer V6 model Charger with the 8 speed automatic and electronic shifter. I've never heard of a service shifter message popping up. I've heard of the dreaded service transmission message, but never the shifter. Was there any issue getting the car into reverse/drive?

More than likely if the message went away, it did not set a hard code in the computer. May have been just a fluke, it happens...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry yes its a 2012 Charger V6 with 8 speed tranny and electronic shifting. I did not try to put it in gear with the message showing. When I went out later I put it in gear and everything was fine.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it... If it comes back and doesn't go away, then I would have the dealer check it out, but since it went away shortly after coming on, then it's really nothing to worry about at this time.

We have a 2013 Dodge Dart that has a similar issue. It occasionally pops up with a message that says "service airbag system" when you sit a certain way in the back seat. We've had the dealer check it out a couple times now, and it isn't setting a hard code in the computer. It's strange.

·
Registered
1 Posts
service shifter

I got in my car this morning and got a message saying "service shifter". Came in the house and tried to Google it with very little info on subject. Went back out to car and message is gone now. Does anyone know what this means?
I had this same problem right after I bought my 2013 charger, then a few months later the transmission dropped just like the recall said it would. I had to have a new one shipped to the car dealership. I was out of a car for about 2 weeks =( brand new car. MAD! It's been good since the replacedment part was put in but now the check shifter message just came on again. GRRRRRR not very happy. Just hope I can get to the dodger dealership before something bad happens again.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Does anybody have any symptoms when the tranny goes out? I have been having a strange thing happen. When the tranny isn't warmed up yet, say, the first 5 miles of driving or so, when I come to a full stop, it feels like I am getting tapped in the rear end by another car about one second before I come to a complete stop. Actually think it is down shifting to first gear at the very last second. I've owned the car since new (May 2013) and this just started happening. It just turned 10,000 miles.....2013 sxt awd 8 speed. I haven't gotten any messages on the screen, and after the car warms up it goes away. Anyone else have this happen to them?

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
Sorry yes its a 2012 Charger V6 with 8 speed tranny and electronic shifting. I did not try to put it in gear with the message showing. When I went out later I put it in gear and everything was fine.

So there is no longer any confusion, can you please post your vehicle information in the area to the right of your name, as I have?

I have attached a picture to show you where I am referring to!

You can do this in your USER CP (Control Panel)!

You also have the 2011+ section you can post in as well:

Dodge Charger Models (2011 - Up)

Thanks! lol!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 dodge ram sport with the E-shift and when I start my truck it says service shifter and there is no light on the dash but when I go to my messages it says service shifter but has no problems shifting into gear any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I have a 2014 dodge ram sport with the E-shift and when I start my truck it says service shifter and there is no light on the dash but when I go to my messages it says service shifter but has no problems shifting into gear any thoughts?
I would have the dealer check your vehicle to see if any codes are stored. Just to make sure nothing occurred with the shifter. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Dodge Charge 6cyl - Service Shifter

I had parked my car on the street went to park in the garage said service transmission could not get the car to turn off, once it did I restarted car said service shifter. I cannot get it into any gear...I'm calling Dodge tomorrow. From what I read below do you think its the tranny?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I had parked my car on the street went to park in the garage said service transmission could not get the car to turn off, once it did I restarted car said service shifter. I cannot get it into any gear...I'm calling Dodge tomorrow. From what I read below do you think its the tranny?
It's probably the shifter interlink to the tranny. The dealer can tell you for sure.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Does anybody have any symptoms when the tranny goes out? I have been having a strange thing happen. When the tranny isn't warmed up yet, say, the first 5 miles of driving or so, when I come to a full stop, it feels like I am getting tapped in the rear end by another car about one second before I come to a complete stop. Actually think it is down shifting to first gear at the very last second. I've owned the car since new (May 2013) and this just started happening. It just turned 10,000 miles.....2013 sxt awd 8 speed. I haven't gotten any messages on the screen, and after the car warms up it goes away. Anyone else have this happen to them?
It sounds like the phantom cold tranny gremlins. Even the NAG1 had issues when cold after the first few thousand miles. Unless it throws a code, I would consider it normal.

If you want to fix it, my suggestion is to do a tranny service and change the fluid and filter (yeah, at 10k miles it shouldn't need it, but it will likely fix the issue if it's bugging you)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Please keep us posted. As Ddaddy mentioned, the dealership should be able to tell you for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's The Same Process
Ass Changing Your Car Oil Press On The Pedal 3 Times On Run With Your Car Off And After That Turn On Your Car And You Will See Its Back To Normal

1 - 16 of 16 Posts