Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks ago, the plastic 'T' coupling for the heater house blew out so I replaced it with a brass one and bled the air out of the coolant system. Everything was fine and the car actually was running slightly cooler than it was before. Now, 2 days ago I made a 30 minute drive to work that morning in the rain and everything was working fine. Went to go home from work and as soon as I started the car the check engine light came on, the red lightning bolt, Service AWD, and temperature gauge was not reading. The car drove home fine like nothing was wrong. Got home and called the Dodge dealership to see if they had time to read the engine code. When I started the car to go to the dealership only the check engine light was on and the temperature gauge was working fine. The dealership said the code was "Implausible Thermometer" or something like that. I was told it was still fine to drive so the day after that I was running some errands and all the lights went off and stayed off for the rest of the day. Then this morning, everything was back on. Any ideas on what could be causing this? The car is a 2014 Charger RT

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Sounds like you had an air pocket. I think if it were me I'd run it for a while with the reservoir cap off while keeping an eye on it, topping off as needed.

Do you have a scantool to read DTCs yourself? On an LX/LD Charger, they're pretty much indispensible.

What kind of coolant did you put in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zerex Orange 50/50 for American Vehicles. It had orange in it previously. Will try bleeding it again and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Zerex Orange 50/50 for American Vehicles. It had orange in it previously. Will try bleeding it again and see if that fixes it.
It had orange-colored coolant in it, or it had Zerex Orange?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
It had orange colored in it. Idk what was in it previous.
Okay. At some point you might want to think about doing a complete drain and fill or a flush. Mopar Orange is a HOAT coolant and Zerex Orange is an OAT.

Check your owner's manual, but your car should call for OAT. Who knows what the PO may have used, though. With an LX/LD Charger, I wouldn't trust anybody to add coolant, and that includes dealerships.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts