Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was putting new pads and rotors on today and found a seized inboard top piston on the left front Brembo. Any places in particular to find a replacement, or places to avoid. Gonna call the dealer in the morning...I'm sure it's not gonna be pretty.

I broke my c-clamp trying to break it loose, that sucker is stuck and good. Prob not a good candidate for rebuild.

This car is really trying my patience this week...if I didn't love it so much I'd have traded it in today:mad:

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Was putting new pads and rotors on today and found a seized inboard top piston on the left front Brembo. Any places in particular to find a replacement, or places to avoid. Gonna call the dealer in the morning...I'm sure it's not gonna be pretty.

I broke my c-clamp trying to break it loose, that sucker is stuck and good. Prob not a good candidate for rebuild.

This car is really trying my patience this week...if I didn't love it so much I'd have traded it in today:mad:
You might want to read this thread...

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195121

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
To help get it out with compressed air you have to install the other pistons and then secure them in place to keep them from coming out when air is applied. You can use wood blocks with an area notched out for the piston you want to move or some kind of clamps or even the old pads. You might even have to use the brake system hydraulics by hooking it back up to the line and stomping the pedal. You might also search the web for single calipers at salvage yards. The bore should hold up, maybe a few scratches in the black coating is all.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a 20 year heavy duty diesel tech I can say I haven't run into too many things that are as seized in a housing as this piston is. Quite ridiculous, for something that costs as much as these calipers do I'd expect well more than 100k miles before needing major overhaul or replacement. Not impressed.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Your lucky, most people only got about 25k before they seized up and were lucky enough to get them fixed under wsrranty.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh soooo lucky...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts