Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a little oil seepage at the PCV is normal? I have a small amount of oil present - just enough to coat the external housing of the valve, but there is no dripping or pooling. I had the dealer look at it while in for an oil change, and they said to keep an eye on it, but they weren't going to replace it yet.

· Registered
2,078 Posts
It shouldn't be leaking externally, but if it's insufficient to form a drop, they won't touch it. Wipe it down and keep an eye on it. You have it on dealer record now. If it continues to get worse, go get a free one from them.

· Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response - I'll indeed keep an eye on it. It seems like if the valve is questionable, they should just change it out. Isn't the part only about $25?

· Registered
420 Posts
Pull the PCV out and shake it gently back and forth - you should here a loose rattling sound - that means it is not stuck in place and should be working. Also make sure the hose going to it is PCV Hose and not Heater Hose.

· Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pull the PCV out and shake it gently back and forth - you should here a loose rattling sound - that means it is not stuck in place and should be working. Also make sure the hose going to it is PCV Hose and not Heater Hose.
Is there anything special I need to know about pulling out the PCV? Do I just twist and pull? The hose is stock, so it should be okay. Thanks for the advice!

· Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I paid $40. And that was $39 too much.
I hear you there! I just paid $45 for an oil change that I could do myself for half that.

· Registered
720 Posts
Pulling out the pcv is pretty easy. I thought I remembered seeing an arrow on it in the direction you need to turn. It's only a 1/4 turn or less. I used a pair of channel locks with a rag since it was a little tight, you might be able to turn it by hand.

I also think I remember that the Valve itself is very visible, unlike others that have the internal ball that rattles. Put a light coat of engine oil on the rubber O ring when you put it or the new one, back, and it will be easier to get out next time.

· Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!! :bigthumb:

· Registered
23 Posts
Stumbled upon this old thread and wondered if anything ever came of this. My 5.7 with 111,000 miles just started using about 1 qt of oil per 1200 miles and the only external leak I can find is slight seepage from the PCV valve, similar to what the OP mentioned. The valve only has 10,000 miles on it and rattles like it should, stumped where the oil may be going...

· Registered
336 Posts
the pvc valve lets vapor and gases exit top of engine where it goes back into intake to get burned in motor, If you start getting blow by from rings[sometimes valve stems] the air pretty much goes out here and taking oil with it. I would have mechanic do simple compression check seeing the health of engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.